1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cookware - Nonstick or Steel, which one to shop for in US? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by bloopink, Sep 12, 2012.

1. bloopink

bloopink New IL'ite

Hello friends,
    I just wanna know which is better for daily use cooking - nonstick cookware sets or stainless steel for the flames being used in Northamerica

I've been using non-stick ,but under high flames the black coating started to wither off. So am in the thought of purchasing a new cookware set.

On the other hand, I fear if stainless steel cooking utensils are too hot to handle at high/medium flames. I don't have a dishwasher in my apt . So am puzzled to purchase a non-stick or stainless steel ?

Any advices please and also pls suggest me the best brands for the cookware sets (either non-stick or steel) .
    (brands available in U.S/ canada and the store names please ???

thanks,
    bloopink

2. falgunid18

falgunid18 Platinum IL'ite

non-stick cookware is always better. I have been using Calphalon brand for non-stick. I never faced a burning issue. Even if by chance anything sticks (happened with me when I was boiling milk for very long time to make sweet) it come's easily out with just a wooden spatula.

1 person likes this.
  3. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Falguind...

wrong thread to say this...i couldnt help but notice your signature...and i know your current situation with DH...I dunno what to say...except sending good wishes and strength your way..!

2 people like this.
  4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Try non-stick Hard Anodized (check for the Microwave safe, Dishwasher safe, Electric Stove safe etc, as per your requirement before buying.
    I am looking for non-stick(pref hard anodized dishwasher safe IDLI STAND... Ufff who makes it for me in USA ?? )

1 person likes this.
  5. bloopink

bloopink New IL'ite

thanks for ur reply falgunid18. Can you tell me the store names where i get calphalon brand. We moved to canada recently and wud like to know the store name ?

6. falgunid18

falgunid18 Platinum IL'ite

I bought it from Macy's, but I guess online would be cheaper (not sure though). We have a macy's card (that gives us discount) and we also wait for Macy's one day sale, so that the price on same item is reduced.

Else you might be able to find this cookware shops in outlet malls

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, It also depends on what brand of non stick or stainless you use. If you used Farberware ,T-Fal and non stick coating came off, its not surprising. Its just a thin layer of non stick in these brands. It is bound to last at max for 6 months in our Indian cooking.(been there done that). Try good brands like Kitchen Aid, Calphalon ,Cuisinart . They are fantastic and I have been using same pans for almost 4 yrs.Still it makes good curries and dosas and not to mention fantastic chapathis.As Falguni mentioned its good to use wooden spatula or plastic.Never use steel ladles.One more thing, Try shopping for them in their own websites. There is always some or the other deal going on.I bought a 3 qt frying pan in the Cuisinart website online for 19.99.Let me tell you its a great deal. In mornings I make upma and sooji and in the evening make curry for dinner and finish it with making rasam. All in one pan. I just rinse it each time and voila. Good Luck.

8. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

I also bought Calphalon from Macy's. It is almost 10 years, use it every week and still remains the same. I bought individual pieces from Macy's, not the entire set.

Also, Kohls sells Calphalon sets.

9. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

Actually, I use stainless steel Idli pot with cotton cloth, perfect soft white idlies. The idlies won't stick to the cloth! I tried many, including idly cooker, pressure cooker idly stand, and the oil applied to the stainless steel makes the idly harder at the bottom. I moved to the Grandma fashion, idli pot!

10. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

I m using Emeril.. It is good, but it gets dents pretty soon..