Cooking tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by rathi, Apr 1, 2005.

1. rehanak

rehanak New IL'ite

Add a pinch of salt to the oil while frying "pakodas" or "koftas" and you will use up less oil.
    Use crushed vermicelli to coat your cutlets for a change. The cutlets will have a nest-like appearance.
    Add a pinch of salt to the oil while frying "pakodas" or "koftas" and you will use up less oil.
    To preserve the white colour in cauliflower and cabbage, add a teaspoon of milk or milk powder while cooking.
    When soups or stews get slightly burnt you can renew the taste by transferring it gently and carefully into a clean pan and flavouring with curry powder or mustard to camouflage the burnt taste.
    The art of making good naan khatais lies in beating of the mixture till it becomes light and fluffy. Also only vanaspati should be used to make them.
    When boiling potatoes for cutlets add the salt to the water itself as potatoes absorb salt better this way.
    Onions will brown faster if half a teaspoon of salt is added to the onions while frying.
    While cooking ladyfingers (okra) add a few drops of lemon juice or a spoonful of yogurt to avoid becoming sticky.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  2. madhu_cute

madhu_cute Junior IL'ite

More tips!

Hi Rehana,

That was a nice bunch of tips to share being a new member of this community. Welcome!

My share of tips goes here...

For some dishes we use yogurt/curd, which may curdle while cooking. To prevent curdling, don't add salt until yogurt/curd is cooked.
    Onions will turn out to be crispier if you soak them in milk for a while before frying.
    Sometimes hot oil starts foaming and starts rising in the pan. Dissipate the foam to avoid this situation by adding a marble sized ball of tamarind to the oil.
    Happy cooking!

3. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Microwave eggs!

While trying to microwave eggs (to reheat those already boiled and stored), however careful we are in keeping it for less time, most of us would have noticed it bursts!

To avoid bursting, cut the egg with yolk into half and microwave it. This way you can avoid bursting of eggs.

4. lakshmi

lakshmi New IL'ite

rava dosai

i wud add rava :rice flour in a ratio of 3:1
    and while serving u can spread coconut chutney on the cooked dosai and keep some potato or onion curry , close the dosai and serve!!

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ammu, Send to flour mill 500 gms lightly roasted rawa & 500 gms raw rice & grind to a fine powder. This preserves well. 1 hr before making dosas soak 1 cup flour with 2 1/2 cups water - add salt , green chillies , ginger & curry leaves finely chopped , pepper+jeera coarsely powdered, hing & temper with mustard seeds. I hope you know how to make the dosai part - if necessary , get back to me & i shall write to you .
    cv

6. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Crispy Instant Rawa Dosa

Hi,

Here's a recipe for instant crispy rawa dosa.

Mix 1 cup of Maida, 1 cup Rice Flour and 1/2-3/4 cup of fine rawa. Add salt and maybe 1/4 tsp jeera. Add enough water to the above - dosa consistency. keep aside for a few minutes. The rawa absorbes little water and the batter might look thick sometimes. Add little more water if required and mix well.

Use the batter to make dosas. Normally it comes out thin and crispy. For crispy dosas u must heat it for longer period than usual on low flame. Whether crispy or soft, the dosa tastes good.

Can sprinkle finely cut onions on top instead of using jeera for a different flavour.

Meena

7. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Wash with Vinegar!

After cleaning the fish, wash it with vinegar just before cooking. This removes the stench of fish while cooking.

Hope it helps!

8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

retain color of veggies

Hi Neha,

If u are not using cooker, then add vegetables to the water only after it boils. If u take water and veg. and heat at the same time - the veg. change colour.

9. Mridulah

Mridulah New IL'ite

Reduce salt

Hi Janet,

Mash one or two ripe tomatoes and heat the food it reduces the excess salt. I have even tried using curd that has also helped but I prefer tomatoes.

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Reduce effect of salt

Hi,
    If you like spicy dishes, you can add little bit of
    chilly powder. If you won`t prefer very spicy
    then you can add little bit of sugar. I follow the
    above two.

Happy cooking.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005