1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking smells

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by jaykay, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jaykay

jaykay Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    I have a huge problem which has to be rectified somehow!! (I live in the uk.)

All our clothes pickup the smells of our cooking. I am very careful to keep the doors closed and use the extractor fans etc, still the clothes smell of curry.

Is there anything that I can do to avoid this smell? Thanks for any suggestions that you might have!!

Cheers
    Jaykay

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi Jaykay,

I use candles while cooking and this absorbs most smell. However what is a genuine problem and for this I use freshners in the closet - so when the jackets are worn in winters, they smell of the freshners. My closet is diagonally opposite to my kitchen and this has worked wonderfully

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

(1) Keep Kitchen fully ventilated - Open all windows while cooking [ during winter, may be for few mins after you finished cooking]
    (2) Use candles or potpourri
    (3) After cooking, let the exhaust run for a while
    (4) If your house is carpeted, you got to steam clean it yearly.
    (5) My grandma used to say keeping cut lemons in open for a while after cooking helps too.
    (6) Don't hang your clothes used while cooking along with the other ones.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Rama
    Could you tell me what fresheners you use for the closet. Thanks.

5. pink_angel

pink_angel Senior IL'ite

Use a cooking apron. It helps a lot.

6. jaykay

jaykay Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the tips dear friends. Can you pls tell me if there is any particular freshner that i can use?

cheers
    jaykay

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ac, Jaykay,

I use closet freshners Closet Fresheners also called closet sachets and have found them very effective. I get them from 'garden ridge' with hangers on them - I need about 8-10 of them thru winters. But bedbath&beyond also carries something similar Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Hope this helps.

8. InduSri

InduSri New IL'ite

If I am having guests and the house smells of oil and cooking, after all the cooking is done, I boil a pot of water with cinnamon stick, couple of cloves, 1-2 cardamom and ginger. The boiling water absorbs the odor in the air and you smell the spices.

Another trick is making rice at the end of your cooking (I use rice cooker so this works). Add a couple of cardamoms and 1/4 sp full of cummin seeds (geera) to the rice. Only smell you smell after that would be cardamom and cummin.

I try to remember to close all the closet doors, bedroom doors and have the exhaust running in the kitchen and bathrooms. If weather permitting, I even open 2-3 windows, 1 in kitchen and atleast one more somewhere else in the house for circulation.

InduSri

9. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

hi jaykay,
    like srama said...candles will remove the smells..i light up the scented candles in kitchen and living rooms just before starting the cooking... and i found it working good.

10. jaykay

jaykay Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Srama, InduSri and Neets for your tips. I have started burning candles during cooking and It really helps. Thanks.

Cheers
    Jaykay