1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking smell all over apartment- Please suggest remedies!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sharvani, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

We live in an apartment and cook daily and you all must be familiar with the strong masala and spices smells when we cook indian food. Problem is even after using venthood exhaust fan and opening the kitchen's patio door to cross ventilate while cooking, the smells are spreading all over the apartment :bonk

I have tried all sprays to de-odorize but no result. Worst part is the smells linger even after 2-3 days.. i.e we get to cherish and savor the non veg curries made at weekend till next weekend yumsmiley

Please suggest me what can be done..

Thanks,
    Sharvani.

2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

check if this helps...My BIL used to close all the doors of the rooms...especially the closet door so that his dresses/bed and things do no smell ginger and garlic...Hope this helps

3. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Keep a lighted candle beside the stove while cooking items with strong odor [ onion/ garlic/non.veg]. You can also use scented candles, which I've tried many times, esp. while deep frying. It is very very effective solution. Try and see :)

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

As Dewdrop suggested candles are good. I don't cook much with masalas but still our cooking is pungent. we switch on the kitchen exhaust, open windows and also have an air purifier that cleans the air and keeps the smells out. But before we got the purifier I would switch on the exhaust fans in the bathrooms, keep those doors open while keeping all other doors shut. That way those are extra exhausts.

After I am done cooking, I clean up, leave the exhaust on and light some agarbathi ....that helps to kind of keep the smells down.

5. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

thanks for your suggestions brahan, dewdrop and DKI-
    I will surely try this and let you guys know the results
    thank you once again for your quick responses!! :wave

6. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

These are something we do to keep odor away
    1. Close bedroom & closet doors to avoid odor from spreading on to clothes & bedlinens/curtains etc
    2. Use an exhaust during cooking
    3. Open all possible windows & doors to "air-out" the odor out of home,
    4. light candles inside home (we do this for fish curry ;-) )
    5. Vacate the trash can immediatley after meals - any left-overs while cleaning or after food lingers due to even small amount in trash
    6. Run your garbage-disposer adding a lemon to it. This could be done periodically whenever we squeeze lemon. Apparantly running with egg-shells once in a while helps too. We do both
    7. Ofcourse, we could always use FeBreeze & Incense-sticks (Agar-pathi) after these to keep the home to smell fresh

Hope these tips helps :)

7. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

thank you Justmyself :)
    I will keep that tips in mind ...!!