1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking meals with a toddler around - help!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Riyasmommy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Raj, if I were you, I'd cut myself some slack when it comes to cleaning. As long as your house is not FILTHY, let it go. Don't make things hard for yourself. A young child is a LOT of work and you need to be easy on yourself when it comes to some chores.

The way I manage my day is to start it REALLY early. Not sure if it will work for you. I find that even an hour to myself gives me some valuable time before she is up and running around, demanding my full attention. I shower, make a light breakfast, have coffee and do some cleaning during this time. Then I get ready for her. Hubby gets her teeth brushed, dressed, fed and dropped off at school. But a year ago (when she wasn't at school), I'd turn on the TV and let her watch Super Y! and Sesame Street while I got all the work done. I made simple lunches for us and hubby took the previous day's dinner for lunch.

1) How do you guys decide what you're going to cook that week? And how many meals do you plan on?

I really cannot plan because she is a picky eater at dinner. Breakfast is usually sandwiches or banana with plenty of milk. Lunch is ALWAYS Mac-n-Cheese with some fresh vegetable and fruit juice to go with it. If it's anything else, I'll have a mutiny on my hands, so in a way, this is a blessing. Even though I have time to finish dinner when she's in preschool, I cannot because dinner is always what she craves or demands. I cook rice and dal and then wait for Madame Royale to issue her commands. I cook this when hubby takes her out to the park or library or YMCA or wherever in the evening. Cooking three meals a day only happens during the weekend. I also do some major grocery shopping, food prep (mainly veggie cutting etc) and cleaning during this time to pick up any slack from the week.

2) Is it okay to keep cut veggies in the fridge for a couple days? What other prepping do you do?

I am no nutritional expert but I cut veggies during the weekend, and keep them frozen fresh.

3) Do you always stick to your plans?

NOPE. I have no plans. What Mademoiselle craves, Mademoiselle wants, so there's no "advance planning" involved.

4) How many times a week do you do grocery shopping?

One time. Saturday mornings or Wednesday mornings.

Take it easy. This too will pass. Before you know it, she'll be off to school and you'll have good chunks of time to yourself. Until then, hang in there.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Malyatha. Seems like I DO have to make an effort to get up early. I have heard this so many times on this thread, and the funny part is yesterday I was at a moms group and they handed us all a sheet that said '101 ways to reduce stress' and the first one was 'Wake up Early'. I think God is talking and I better listen. :)

My additional problem with wanting to clean is our two dogs. The house gets a little 'hairy' if I am not on a cleaining routine. As for TV, it will make my life a whole lot better with a DVD, but I don't want to introduce Riya to TV /DVDs until she's two.

This weekend, one of the things on my 'To Do' list is to make a meal plan for the week and prep the veggies or whatever else that I can prep up in advance. Will keep you guys posted on how that's going.

Raj

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey guys, thought I'll update you all on how i am doing with meal planning. Last weekend I drew up a meal plan for the week, went grocery shopping, prepped up the veggies etc. and the week was a breeze, as far as cooking dinner was concerned! It worked out so well, that I have a meal plan for the coming week now! :) Love it! :thumbsup I now have a little extra time in my hands during Riya's nap that I do my prayer time. Thanks to all you wonderful ladies who took the time to help me out.

Now as for waking up early, I haven't been able to do that and the reason is that Riya hasn't been doing too well and keeps waking up. So our nights have been a little rocky for the last two weeks.

Raj

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Raj,

Kudos to you for the meal planning. You remember you mentioned this in another thread? I tried that for a week and then failed! I plan to do that again during the holidays. DH will be away in India for around 20 days in Jan and if i'm not well planned i'm dead! Ananya doesn't sleep so much like before and is busy rolling over, crying and all that... i go nuts.

Latha

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Latha. It has helped me tremendously - one big change is that now I am not thinking constantly what to cook for dinner and if I have all the ingredients for a particular recipe. I now find myself playing with Riya a lot more, giving her my full attention than trying to shuttle between the kitchen and the living room. So, good luck to you.

Raj

6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks to all those who have posted useful tips in this thread.. Although the thread is quite old, it has given me a lot of useful suggestions that I need and just at the right time..

Been busy with a little one who keeps me running from kitchen to living room all day.. At the end I'm just tired with very few chores done.. Thank you all.. Now I have some useful tips ; though getting up early is strictly a 'No-no' for me..

1 person likes this.
  7. preethiitech

Again back to the same thread, and if any of you happen to visit here, please help me out.

DD is 1 year 5 months now and really very naughty, climbing over things, eating whatever she finds and running around. I can't even find a moment to even blink my eye. It's getting very very difficult and stressful to cook, feed her, clean up, kitchen.. I don't even get proper time to comb my hair. Feel so lost :(

1 person likes this.
  8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Preeti. That's the story of every mom... Hang in there. I am working and now have 2 kids. When my DD was one year old I had same issues. I used to cook in the morning at 5 and keep evening free to spend time with her as she goes to school. This is still my routine except I wake up at 4 now due to little one... You should try to cook and do chores when she sleeps. I know it's not lot of time. If your sahm then you should take time off for you and your chores when your DH is around in this way father daughter can bond too...

9. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

my help list though i dont have a kid... have seen my sis do this

Cook when kid is sleeping
    Keep the kid busy in an activity
    give kid target to achieve in activity and you do your cooking...

hop it helps

others have gvn better ideas too... just my 2 cents

10. preethiitech

Thanks Chitravivek and Rise for stepping in..

Chitra, That's the issue.. She knows when I wake up.. Be it 4 or 5 or 7 , she will wake up before I could finish brushing my teeth.. So, that is why I always try to sleep in at least to get the sleep and also allow her to get the full sleep time.

I am not a sahm, and also nowadays she refuses to play with Dh alone. She expects me to sit with her 24*7.. with or without Dh.
    If I leave her with Dh and come to the kitchen, she will come at the back of me next moment!Witsend

2 people like this.