1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Is Not A Symbol Of Domestication But An Art And Necessity [modified From Vidya Balans State

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear @sln,

I never entered the kitchen till the age of 19 the time of my marriage, and have never left it even once during all my four and a half decades of marriage. With less money in our hands, we didn’t have the option of enjoying a meal in a restaurant. My only guide in cooking was Meenakshi Ammal’s ‘Samaithu Paar’ book, and it was through trial and error that I Improved my culinary knowledge.
    From making a dosa to super soft idlis, there are many small tips and tricks, which we learn in the course of our life. I am sad that majority of the chefs belong to the male fraternity, while kitchen is supposed to be a fiefdom of women.
    Since my DH has a fetish for saving things, in our kitchen, he will keep the gas flame to minimum and that one act tests my patience. So he is allotted other work like washing vessels, buying groceries, etc.
    Thanks for a good write up.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha,
    what a realistic and beautiful narration of your cooking and kitchen experience.Tarala Dalal has written a number of books but I found it difficult to understand some of the ingredients.While men dominate TV shows women dominate you tube videos,Their explanation is simple and when followed produce amazing results.For example nobody makes thavala adais these days[deep south dish]I virtually followed you tube of Yogambal sundar with delectable finished product.Some one lowering the flame when you are cooking is highly irritating though done with good intentions..I have a bad habit of counting the whistles when my daughter is chatting away at the dining table with the pressure cooker on.in the kitchen.I plan to suggest to the cooker manufacturers to change the whistle sound to AIYO-AIYO after the required time. Regards.SLN

Agatha83 likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear@sln,

I wanted to make a point here regarding your comment. Now Aiyyo is the name of Lord Yama’s wife and never should be uttered even in your dreams. So please change your plans or about your suggestions to the cooker manufacturers!
    I also watch all the you tube cookery videos uploaded by the women folks, more for the colorful sarees they sport and the accessories.! Even our dear sudha raghunathan is into cooking, posting videos daily, along with a sweet Carnatic song! So many things happening due to corona!

Agatha83

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks.First of all I did not know Yama had a wife.Iwlll change the slogan-sahikallai niruthungo.I have become paranoid after my friend underwent open heart surgery due to stress-the pressure cooker lid had flown off four times in his house. Sudha posting videos singing is a revealation to me.
    Thanks for stopping me from using an inauspicious slogan.
    Regards .SLN