1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Conversion to vegetarianism.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mmvellodi, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mmvellodi

mmvellodi New IL'ite

It was 93. My colleague and I had to travel a lot in Delhi. We had a hectic day. It was his idea that we spend the evening peacefully and for my sake, he decided to get some chicken for the dinner. On our way back, we stopped by a vendor who had pulled his shutter down for the day. But due to my friend’s compulsion, he took us to the back yard of his house and there were live chicks covered by a net. The vendor lifted the net and tried to get hold on one of those. He held one by the neck but it managed to escape. In his next attempt, the chicken vendor got another one. Within 10 minutes, the chick was dressed and delivered to us. I thought to myself, the lease of life of the one caught earlier had been extended by one more night and another one which was expected to live for one more night lost its life just like that.

Later in 2000, on some assignment I had gone to Hyderabad. It was early in the morning and on my way to our Guest house, there lay a donkey on the road “dead” presumably hit by some truck. There was a foal standing next to the donkey. Since it was very early in the morning, none had noticed such a scene. After an hour’s rest in the guest house, I proceeded to my place of work.

In the afternoon, after having a good “Andhra Meal”, I was on my way to the Airport. By then, the corporation people were there trying to get the body removed through a truck. It was then I noticed that the foal was crying. I could see clearly the tears flowing. It was a pathetic scene.
    When someone dies, the dear ones cry.

I became a vegetarian since that day.

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

When someone dies, dear ones cry - - You make me take a hard look at myself dear friend!

3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello mmvellodi,

Nice to note that you turned Veg after knowing the "reality":thumbsup. Good that you thought about what you saw and made the right change. Many of us, don't want to "think" about it and just ignore, though we all know animals are "living beings" just like us and feel Pain - exactly in the same way like us.

Happy to know that you are sensitive to other living beings and a "great thinker" with determined personality!

Born into a Non-Vegetarian family, turned to vegetarian when I was a kid and recently changed to Vegan! Well, my family too!

Thanks for being a Vegetarian.

4. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

I love animals and loved your post...

You can be proud of yourself for the decision you have made to convert yourself to vegetarianism...

I dont think we can stop society from eating non-veg...But atleast it woud be good if we do away with the horrible ways and techniques in which the animals get handled esp in India. I have seen chickens being carried around in motor cycles hanging upside down.Its sad!!!

5. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

That was a very good blog! I loved it.

6. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear MM,

Good realisation and congratulations that ur realisations made you do a great thing in life!!

I turned to a vegetarian some 3 yrs back -- the incident u told used to always pain me and it was too difficult to gulp those in that state of mind. But before I had no choice.

And now that I am a veg and surrounded by majority nonveg, they try to derive what made me turn veg, some even tease me that 'how many animals i'll be able to protect this way' or 'i am responsible for destroying eco balance' :) ... what nuts... I do not feel like responding to such stupid talks-- at best i wd just say, 'think who is destroying the eco balance - me or u'?

7. AnkitaDoppal

AnkitaDoppal New IL'ite

very nice, touched my heart.