1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

contraceptives ?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by chaaral, Jan 9, 2015.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Which method is safe or has worked for you? i am done with kids and dont want any unnecessary complications/pregnancies.
    initially my gyn said she would not suggest as i am below 30. better to wait. but now i feel planning is more better than unwanted preg.

what did u do ? any help suggestions.my friend said here in usa insurance wont cover such procedures.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

A hormonal IUD (is that the right term?) has been perfect for me. It last for 5+ years, takes away your periods (in most cases), it is very safe (the effect is even stronger than sterilization). Of course it is a hormonal device so there are cases when it will not suit. I did not have any side effects.

Vasectomy is also quite simple procedure, much easier than the female sterilization.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Crayoness that a vasectomy is a better option than an invasive procedure for the woman. A vasectomy is also easier to reverse if the need arises at a later date.
    Insurance in America will usually cover contraceptive methods, unless you work for an employer who chooses to exclude these due to religious reasons (at a Catholic university for example).
    Talk to your ob-gyn for options.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Charaal: why don't you just do the laparoscopic tubal in India on your next trip?

5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

My employers insurance payed for the IUD as it was prescribed as treating heavy periods (have a condition called myoma that is quite common). That is less invasive than removing the uterus so they start with that. And it also work as a contraceptive. And the bliss to get rid of your periods ...:rotfl

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    crayoness such a relief when we get rid of period :) but unfortunately i already have issues with hormones. mood swings and PMS and thyroid too once in a while goes up and down. i am trying to get my thyroids to normal by natural methods. so dont want to take a chance with hormonal contraceptives.

Malstrom will check out for vasectomy with insurance and my doc.

Tina i want to keep laproscopic tubal in india as last option. if i can do here thats better than there.its just not easy with kids n travelling n medical trt there.
    how long is the rest time for the procedure. read that we need to rest for 2 weeks and not do house work etc. and sometimes there could be heavy bleeding during periods. anyone had any issues with this method?

only now i got my periods regular monthly before due to stress and weakness it was also random. so just wondering.

7. nehakhetal

nehakhetal Bronze IL'ite

Condom are safest I think