Contraceptive pills-does it help or cause harm?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Ashna, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Proud_indian

Proud_indian New IL'ite

Is it Okay to be on Pills for longer period??

Hello dear Ladies,
    I am hear to voice out my problem, please guide me through proper inputs.
    I delivered a boy in 2007 mid naturally. From then on after 3 months consulted my Gynic, and she asked me to use OCP(Ovral - L)for birth control. So, I have been using them since 2 years. As of now no side effects, but I am a bit skeptical as it may cause any side effects if I use for longer period. We are not ready for second baby as of now and may stop going for it. He is not ready to use condom due to several reasons,I can't go for Copper-T birth control method, as I heared from most of the ILites it may cause heavy periods. With small baby and besides working I really can't bear it.
    I know abstinence from sex is the only way to avoid pregnancy. But not possible as all you know.
    The frequency of intercourse is pretty less hardly once in a week. But I need to use birth control because conception can happen anytime in cycle.
    So, please throw your inputs....is it okay to have OCP's for longer period ?
    Can I go for other birth control method from now on ?
    Any birth control mechanism available which doesn't have any side effects like heavy periods.
    What are the side effects if I use OCP's for longer time?
    I know I need to consult a gynic, but I can't really speak to her as she gives less time.

2. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Re: Is it Okay to be on Pills for longer period??

Hi!

I've never been a fan of taking the pill. Simply because I am not very good in taking meds. This I knew when I had to take some ayurvedic medicine everyday to regulate my periods - I would take them sometimes in the morning.. sometimes in the evening... would be very careless. So, I didn't want to take such a risk with contraception pills.

As far as I heard, most women fear about weight gain. Then there's depression & loss of libido too. But these things vary from woman to woman. It may gel well with some & react unfavourably with another.

I would suggest you use birth control pills only if you are planning to have another kid in future. Using them for another a year or 2, won't have any effect. But be sure to stop 3-4 months before conceiving. But if you aren't planning for another one, you could find our from your doctor about vasectomy or tubal ligation.

You & your husband should have an open talk with the doctor so that she can help you. If she doesn't give her patients enough time, then it's time to find a better doctor.