Contest Time, Friends - Dinner for Americans!

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by Chitvish, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Deepav...

It is the thought that counts and your thoughts about a dinner party for American friends in your house is equally good and well planned. You will surely win everyone's hearts with it.

L, Kamla

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

South Indian menu

Till everyone posts their entries, here are a few ideas from me.....

A South Indian Christmas Buffet

Ambience:

Entrance to the House: maavu Kolam with kavi in the front.. I will have only the regular electric light lit in the front. (Since it is quite windy, lighting agals or candles do not make sense)
    Living room already has a few Tanjore paintings , and other Silk screen paintings on the walls. I also have a couple of Kuhtuvillakus in one corner of the living room which will be lit. The seating arrangement will be casual . Jasmine scented candles will be lit and placed in strategic spots through the living room and dining room. Soft strains of Lalgudi Jayaraman's violin and Shiv Kumar Sharma's santoor music will be playing in the background.
    Since I am planning a buffet, I will cover the table with rich Red or Burgundy Kancheevaram saree with a green border ( Christmas colors) ( of course cover it with a plastic table cloth protector). The center piece will be a large crystal bowl filled with red and white carnations with 4 floating lamps placed in four corners. I will have a side table with all the China and cutlery , glasses , napkins and other accessories, so that the guests will have a chance to view the table before , the buffet is laid out.<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
    \n*
    \nMenu
    \n\n** Welcome drink: Warm apple cider mulled with cinnamon and cloves.\n
    \n** Starters\n: Cashew pakoda .Served with cranberry chutney and Green chutney. *Small papadams*served with home made tomato and onion salsa.\n
    \n*** Soup: \n*Mulligatawny soup served with a sprinkling of kara boondi on top.( Choice of soup is based on its South Indian Origin)
    \n*
    \nMain course buffet:
    \n* 1. Sambar vadai
    \n* 2. Thayir vadai.
    \n* 3.*Tomato *sevai, \n**served with Coconut Chutney
    \n4 Vegetable sevai served with Vegetable sodhi
    \n",1]);//--></SCRIPT>

Menu
    Welcome drink: Warm apple cider mulled with cinnamon and cloves.
    Starters : Cashew pakoda .Served with cranberry chutney and Green chutney. Small papadams served with home made tomato and onion salsa.
    Soup: Mulligatawny soup served with a sprinkling of kara boondi on top.( Choice of soup is based on its South Indian Origin)

Main course buffet:
    1. Sambar vadai
    2. Thayir vadai.
    3. Tomato sevai, served with Coconut Chutney
    4 Vegetable sevai served with Vegetable sodhi
    <SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","5. Pineapple gojju
    \n* 6. Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal.
    \n7.* Appalam, vadams
    \n*The reason for choosing the above menu. I wanted something totally South Indian and not the usual fare. Also ,\n* since most Americans are familiar with Thai food,* I chose Sevai which *is close to rice noodles \n*and the thai* curry sauces use coconut milk liberally. Instead of a traditional Salads, I chose to go with the gojju as it can be eaten alone or as a side.*\n*The buffet will be layed out on the table in the above mentioned order. I will have placard describing each item on the menu placed before the dish so that each guest will have the benefit to\n* know what they are going to eat.
    \n*
    \n*
    \nDessert trolley:\n
    \n*1.Dumroot halwa,
    \n2.Gulab jamun,
    \n3.Akaravadisal,
    \n",1]);//--></SCRIPT>5. Pineapple gojju
    6. Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal.
    7. Appalam, vadams
    The reason for choosing the above menu. I wanted something totally South Indian and not the usual fare. Also , since most Americans are familiar with Thai food, I chose Sevai which is close to rice noodles and the thai curry sauces use coconut milk liberally. Instead of a traditional Salads, I chose to go with the gojju as it can be eaten alone or as a side. The buffet will be layed out on the table in the above mentioned order. I will have placard describing each item on the menu placed before the dish so that each guest will have the benefit to know what they are going to eat.

Dessert trolley:
    1.Dumroot halwa,
    2.Gulab jamun,
    3.Akaravadisal,
    <SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","*4. Mango kesari.
    \n*Again the Choice of desserts , something new. Chose Dumroot as it is made with pumpkin and usually Pumpkin pie is served during Christmas. \n*Akkaravadisal is the SI version of Rice pudding . Gulab Jamun tastes good warm on cold winter night. I wanted to serve all hot* or room temperature desserts.
    \n*
    \nMouth freshing tray\n: *Tanjore glass work tray* which will have 4* \nsilver bowls containing the following: paaku, mukwas, mint candy* and arisi mittai.
    \n*
    \nAfter dinner Coffee or Tea* Choice of: \n
    \n*Filter coffee:* South Indian
    \n*Kashmir Kahwah tea (*green tea brewed with saffron, cardamom and almonds)\n
    \n*
    \nGift baskets for each guest\n:* *Will contain the following:
    \n",1]);//--></SCRIPT> 4. Mango kesari.
    Again the Choice of desserts , something new. Chose Dumroot as it is made with pumpkin and usually Pumpkin pie is served during Christmas. Akkaravadisal is the SI version of Rice pudding . Gulab Jamun tastes good warm on cold winter night. I wanted to serve all hot or room temperature desserts.

Mouth freshing tray : Tanjore glass work tray which will have 4 silver bowls containing the following: paaku, mukwas, mint candy and arisi mittai.

After dinner Coffee or Tea Choice of:
    Filter coffee: South Indian
    Kashmir Kahwah tea ( green tea brewed with saffron, cardamom and almonds)

Gift baskets for each guest : Will contain the following:
    <SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","Jasmin or sandal incense sticks with* a stand,*
    \nAn *Indian christmas tree ornament like the ones you get in Gurjari.*
    \nHome made masala chai* packets with instructions to brew .
    \nNankhatai
    \nAlmond Biscotti
    \n*
    \nAll the above items will be arranged in a nice bamboo basket , covered with Red or Green cellophane wrap and a nice big Satin ribbon of contrasting colors. \n
    \n*
    \n*
    \n*
    \n*
    \n\n",0]);//--></SCRIPT>Jasmin or sandal incense sticks with a stand, </SPAN></P>An Indian christmas tree ornament like the ones you get in Gurjari.
    Home made masala chai packets with instructions to brew .
    Matri
    Almond Biscotti

All the above items will be arranged in a nice bamboo basket , covered with Red or Green cellophane wrap and a nice big Satin ribbon of contrasting colors.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Vandhana.....

I have some urgent questions and please answer ASAP...

1....Are you inviting me to your party?
    2....When is your party?
    3....Let me know where exactly you live so I can start making arrangements to travel to your place.

:))))......Your party sounds fab. Your ideas are extremely appealing. Let me know and I will be there...without fail !!!!!

L, Kamla

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Kamla

Dear Kamla,
    Yes indeed. let me know when you will be here and I will host it specially for you. The next party is for Ani's birthday. coming up end of the month. Its a Garfield Pig out party. So you are welcome to join us all ...

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Sankasailaja's Entry

I AM POSTING THIS ON SANKASAILAJA'S BEHALF:

Before entering to the contest,i wanna give small introduction about me.Im sailaja got married in august of this year and came to USA in october.I can arrange the party with the limited resources which i have.As i am an andhra lady i will arrange the andhra specials so my party arrangements go like this:

</PRE>
    DECORATION OF HOUSE
    I use rice flour/chalkpiece, to draw a rangoli and for colours i will use turmeric and kumkum.(kumkum is offered to deities at temples to keep on face at the place of bindi
    I will try for mango leaves if i didnt get i will go for any other leaves which are big for "toranalu to gummalu"(strung accross an entrance with mango leaves
    I will keep classical and melody songs in light sound in a way they should not disturb the party and should be audible,as they should feel pleasant.
    I will clean the house and spray room freshener.But il light the dhoopsticks just before they enter the house.
    I will do deeparadhana to god and other things to my pooja mandir for myself and to show how we pray our god
    PARTY STARTED
    Guests enterd the house,we both invited them.They surprised and asked about our costumes.we told by showing 1st mine and said ,this is called saree,our indian tradition and we use to wear jewellery for our party.I explained about all items like bangles,anklets etc and also the jewellery,which shows that i got married.
    By showing my husband i told this is called "puncha and kanduva(pancha it is tied like a skirt upto their feet and kanduva will be weairing on a shirt one side like a chunni)(we brought so we wore).we said we will wear this usually for pooja and some marraige occassions.
    We gave for them "paanakam as welcome drink and(outside its too cold na)mirci bujji.(made with besan and green chillies)They enjoyed it
    Before going to dinner we had chitchat.we showed our pooja mandir and told about our god.
    We brought some of our marraige photos.we showed our album to them and told about it.we also showed our parents.They all surprised by seeing our costumes,jewellery,and about all the program how it is done.They also shared their marraige occasion,how they will do it.
    I told to them how i love christmas and santa.I also shared that i have a dream to be member of "christmas party of english people".They felt happy by hearing it.
    Ohhhhh its already late by chatting so we started dinner.ohh u dont know my menu right? so see my mouthwatering dishes:
    Tamarind rice
    Semiya payasam with cashews n ghee.
    white rice
    papad
    odiyalu(other variety made with material of papad but inwhich shape we like)
    Tomato and menthi pappukura(papu means dal
    Brinjal iguru(curry)
    Ladiesfinger fry with coconut powder
    Mango pickle(andhra people spl pickle)
    sambar(its a liqiud like rasam but made of dal and more vegetables)
    Ghee
    powder made with curry leaves,red chilly,tamarind etc;
    Dosa with chutney(generally we offer roti/pulka,but we did dosa)
    Betel leaf pan(only this was made my hubby becoz i wont eat it so i dont know)
    Ice-cream with fruit salad/with gulab jamun(its sweet)/with honey
    So thats my menu
    When they are leaiving we gave them 2 bananas keeping on a betel leaf as its andhrapradesh tradition.
    We gave them small show pieces as our rememberance.We told farewell to them. They enjoyed our party,said thanks to us and invited for their christmas party.
    Then what about u all my friends,how did u feel about my party .Im waiting to hear <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">ur</st1:City></st1:place> suggestions/compliments/whatever u like
    I am feeling happy to paricipate.
    Thanks and bye

</PRE>

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Here is my entry

My entry
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->The entire family can be attired in their traditional dress(For eg: South Indian Brahmin means, the men in Panchakacham, women in Madisar, the girl kids in Pavadai Sattai, Boys around age of 15 in Veshti and Jibba). Welcome the guests with Sandanam, Kunkumam and Pannir. Also can give the women and girls a rose or a bit of flower if available. Can give Sugar and Kalkandu too. And the youngster of the house could be given the responsibility of offering these. Also can ask all the women guests to come in Saree or Salwar and men in Veshti jibba or traditional north Indian dress.

Decorate the entrance of your house with a majestic Rangoli which should have the Pongal touch as Pongal follows. The theme of decorating the house be Pongal.

Decorate the hall with Manjal Kothu, Mavilai and some full Sugar Canes. Have a Natarajar Statue (if you have one) placed in the center of the hall. Decorate it with flowers(let the flowers be original if you don’t get original ones dip the paper flowers in perfume). Decorate with majestic Manai Kolam in front of Natarajar. Keep a Kuthuvilaku burning and make sure it keeps burning till the party is over. Also have some incense sticks burning which should not be too harsh or too mild. The Manai Kolam can be drawn in the form of a Ratham with Suryan in the center.

In the same way, the entrance of the Dining Hall too be lined up with Maavilai Kothu.

Welcome Drink:Neer More and Panagam or Sukku Malli coffee

Starter: Light Salad

Soup : Milgitwany soup or milagu jeeraga rasam(which could be made a less spicy)

Main Couse:
    Sweet: Chakkarai Pongal (as the theme is Pongal)

Main Course : Can make Kalanda Sadams like Puliyotharai, Coconut Rice, Bisibelabath and instead of curd rice, curd semiya can be made.

Accompanishments: 1. Potato with peas, onion and tomato.
    2. Vadams and Appalams can be fried and served as everything is mixed rice.
    3. Raitha made of cucumber or onion(which is sauted lightly)
    4. Pickles

The food can be served in Banana Leaves. To give a traditional touch let the guests for a change eat with fingers and eat sitting on the floor. If they cant sit on the floor let the leaves be cut in accordance to the serving plates and the food be served. (let it not be buffet system and served). Also for those who are not comfortable eating with fingers, can be given a spoon.

(On the 3rd of Jan is Thiruvadirai. And the traditional food of Thiruvadirai Kali and 7 Kari kulambu can be cooked as one of the items.)

Gifts for the guests:
    The women and the girls be given Vethilai, Paaku, Manjal, Kumkum, a coconut or some fruit, Comb, a small hand held mirror, a mehandi cone and the gift which has been choosen for them; put all these in an attractive jute or paper bag.

The men folk and boys be given their gift in the same paper bag or jute bag.

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Leelal's Entry

I am posting this on LEELAL'S BEHALF

Being in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">INdia</st1:place></st1:country-region> and after seeing the AMericans enjoying Indian food here, some of my tips are added.
    1. Front Entrance decoration - Colourful Small and neat Rangoli.
    2. Welcome Drink/Appetizer - Ginger + Lime + Sugar -> Little Diluted as it tastes yummy and spicy.
    3. Drawing Room Arrangement:
    Use silk Sarees/Churidar duppattas draped into good designs over walls/Sofas for free style.
    Use terracotta statues or any of our traditional goddess/few kolu bommais here and there.
    Keep Chandanam and Kumkum on a table.
    Need less to say an evening with a shade of oil lamps and light with divinity presence.
    4. Hosts attire - Male - Traditional Mundu/Veshti/Kurtas, Ladies - Cotton/Silk Sarees/Churidars/ Ethnic Wear.
    5. Food Arrangement:
    - Pick up a low level Table so that guests and hosts can be seated on Cleaned carpets with access to low level tables.
    - Use the table with Roller facility so that food can be circulated instead of serving.
    - Prepare Based on their tastes - Indin Non-veg dishes with little spice are very much liked by them.,
    Parathas/Rotis serve equal to Breads. A fried Rice or Rice + Sambar is also fascinating.
    - Masala Vadais, Dahi vadas, Pani Puris are good choice.
    - Deserts could be Adai/Semai Payasams, Jamuns, Fruit Salad with Icecreams.
    6. Ambience - Play gazals or good classical/melodies - only instrumental
    7. Engage the Guests - Introduce them to couple of traditions for 30-45 mins through
    - Your kids bharatnatya/Dance/Singing performance.
    - Playing the video of your marriage ceremony/child naming ceremony for 15-20 mins.
    - Play a video of Your close set of family members (Grandma/pa, Uncles/Aunties, nephews, Festivals like Diwali/Onam/Kolu)
    8. Say goodbye with a Traditional gifts like thamboolam/Ethnic Wear/small gold jewellery/Music DVDs.
    Enjoy Madi!!![/quote]

</PRE>

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Congrats Saradha,

Dear Saradha,

Congrats on winning the contest.
    I did go thru your entry & I could guess a straight away winner.
    Good job.

Love & regards,

9. meenaprakash

Here's my entry to the contest..

Here's my way of arranging dinner for American guests.

That day I would wear embroidered designer saree, daughter will wear salwar kameez, Hubby his kurta, pyjama, silk stole.

Main door will adorn floral thoran made from dark pink silk cloth & flower kolam. As the thoran is dark pink, I would use white & pink combination of flowers in the kolam& keep a lit lamp in the center of kolam.

At entrance to living room, instead of usual curtain, I would wrap silk saree (with design on both ends of pallus) around the curtain rods. wrap thrice and make 3 arc design by pulling 3 loops down & pallus falling at equal length at ends enabling beautiful work on pallus displayed.

Before guests enter our living, my Daughter would sprinkle them with scented water, hand over a red rose & put a tilak (sandalwood & turmeric paste) on forehead of guests.

Welcome drink would be Thandai – a rich drink, made using almonds, poppy seeds, melon seeds, rose petals, pepper, milk, etc. Along with drink, mixture (chow chow) will be served in small individual bowls with spoons.

I’ll have a soft flute music (instrumental by Hariprasad Chaurasia) playing in all rooms.

Living room teapoy will have a small size urli (metal container from kerala ), kept in the center with orangish flowers floating in water. the poompuhar big lamp would be in one corner of living room. other corner will have a big flower vase (Indian Pottery) with nice bunch of dried & fragrant flowers. showcases will have show pieces collected from all over India. a nice Rajasthani painting (using gem powders) would be at the backdrop of Dewan. Cushions & bolsters will have traditional zari figured cushion covers. Floors would be covered with Kashmiri Carpet.

In small silver bowls I would keep kadalai urundai (peanut chikki), ellu urundai, namkeens, poha /chivda, kodbele, pori urundai, small murukkus, etc. arranged around Urli. That would enable them to take few bites between sipping the welcome drink.

While we sit down to talk, my daughter will take kid guests (girl) to her room & make them wear bangles & bindis.

Bedrooms – Beds will be covered with nice printed Jaipuri rajai with matching pillow covers & kashmiri carpets on bedside floors.

Puja Room :All silver lamps & bowls will be on a beautiful display in the puja. After taking them around the house, I’ll take them to puja room, explain basics of our pujas, answer queries related & offer them Panchamritham as prasadam & then head to the diningtable.

Menu : would comprise of following recipes. Dinner will be served in silverware. Food served in plaintain leaves kept on silver plates (cut to shape of the plate). Water & Butter Milk served in silver tumblers.

Once guests take their chairs, my hubby would carry a big bowl into which guests would wash hands with rose petal warm water poured by me from a silver jug & handed rose scented small towels to wipe hands.

I Course - Kosambari, Masala Vadai, and Lemon Rice to Incite the appetite.

Main Course –Parathas with yellow dal fry, paneer makhni, thick curd & pickle.
    Next – Plain Rice with Drumstick, small onion sambar, Snake Guord Kootu, Cabbage Poriyal, Mysore Rasam, Morkozhambu. Payasam would be semiya kheer.

Accompaniments – Vadam, Pappad, Pickle, Chutney, small onion vatha kuzhambu.

Dessert –Rasmalai & Gulab Jamun served in silver bowls, silver spoon.

After Dinner I’ll bring them back to living room and by then, hubby would have arranged post prandial night cap consisting of Hot badam milk, Bananas & seasonal Fruit (sliced). on other table would be leaf shaped wooden bowl containing betel leaf smeared lightly with lime & a glass bowl containing supari, Cashew, Pistachio, honey, Almonds, Saffron, Poppy Seeds, Raisins, Figs, Dates, Cardamom. aroma in living room by this time will be reeking with our fragrant agarbathi.

I’m sure this would fill their stomach & heart. With Christmas season on & everyone exchanging gifts I would hand over a gift bag consisting of silk dress material for the lady and a plate filled with big packet of coconut burfi (instead of usual coconuts as they may not know how to use it), a small packet of kumkum, a cute little idol of Ganesha & jasmine flowers. Hubby would hand silk tie for the gentleman. kids will be given small gift bags of Indian eatables – girl guest will be given gift bag of bangles, bindis, anklets

Finally, I would hand over an envelope with a Beautiful Thank You Card, thanking them for spending their evening with us & Movie Tickets for a Indian movie. with all namkeens, urundais, chow chow, murukkus, etc. what better place to go than watch an Indian movie - movie with our traditional sweets instead of popcorns.

By traditional, what I understand is dinner served with love, care & attention. that’s exactly what I would do.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

10. meenaprakash

lucky, if I could attend your party!!!

Dear Vandhana,

Your ideas are great & after reading your posts, I'm sure you'd be forced to invite whole bunch of ladies for a dinner. And I'd feel sooo bad I'm missing your get togethers.
    I like your way of doing things, Vandhana. sounds great. do think of me when are having so much fun.

Love,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.