1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Contemplating Solo Trip To India

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 9, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I am contemplating solo trip to India in 2018 or so (really busy this year ---- busy is best stress-buster).

What things do I need to consider? People say I look more Western than Indian, so naturally there are people who pursue tourists for $$$

Most importantly, I wish to go there for closure.

I wish to visit few places that I would have liked to visited when I was last there but had bad experience.

I wish to have road trip on National Highway 1 and visit places such as Ludhiana Clock Tower, Haveli in Jalandhar, and last but not least, Golden Temple.

How to emotionally prepare myself.

Please note I do not want to visit any relatives. Besides, the only reason they ever contact us is for $$$ anyway.

And I prefer to go alone .... solo ...... perhaps with camera and/or paint set.

I really wish to make this India trip and have some closure once and for all.

How to prepare myself.

Thank you Dears.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

How are you planning to travel, hire taxi, or do you have a trusted driver? Please don't travel at nights.
    Do you well aware of india news and unsafe incidents happening in all places in India towards women.
    First priority should be safety.

gknew and anika987 like this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

Of course safety is priority.

Certainly zero travel at night.

Then maybe I should re-think the India trip.

What kind of place and people treats their women worse than dogs? Maybe this is a sign from God.

4. ChennaiExpress

Honestly India has rich traditions and culture.... thousands of years women chose their husbands ... women were treated like Queens and Princesses.

And there was no question about going or not going to honeymoon ..... everyday was a honeymoon!

Perhaps one day we'll have another Lord Krishna or Supreme Being amongst us.

I wish there was something we could do ourselves .... it's really sad to see all these bad things happening in India.

it's not enough to educate the mind and have alphabet soup of degrees ... we need to educate the heart as well .....

5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

First make a list of places you would want to visit. Look for good hotels, at least a 4 star and family hotels. Could check TripAdvisor for that. Make an itenary, then ideally it's easier if you have a car to go around but depending on your budget etc. look for reliable options. Say for example, Delhi to Amtritsar you could use an AC class train or something like that. Public transportation that is comfortable and safe.
    As for your safety, you should take atmost care. You need to be there for yourself.

If not family, do you have any aquaintance whom you could just inform you'd be around and will seek help iffff required? Better to keep someone in the know.

Finally, whether you look a westerner or wear traditional clothes doesn't matter. You are alone and need to take good care of yourself.

Happy plans and trip, enjoy

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

Well I'll have to find someone to tell .....

Thank you for the helpful info .... and I'm concerned about getting sick there ....

7. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

You could take flu vaccine shots before you leave. Cover yourself well as in full sleeves etc to minimize mosquito bites. Carry repellent and creams etc. Drink and buy water at the hotels you reside in. Eat only at good and clean restaurants( could check zomato for reviews). Depending on the season you plan to visit, read up other required precautions.

Most important, carry your essential medicines. I am allergic to a particular brand of paracetamol and it will be dreadful to find such things out when you are traveling. So stick to medicines that you are used to and do not experiment.

Please keep a hand sanitizer and wet wipes at easy reach always.

8. vinodsinha

vinodsinha Bronze IL'ite

Every week, I come across, at least one news of a young foreign female tourist getting sexually assaulted while traveling on a National Highway or while staying in a hotel alone.

Although, the conviction rate in such crimes is very high, the Courts here take a serious view of it.....although most culprits who have done this on single foreign women are behind bars..............this type of sexual assault on a young foreign woman traveling / staying alone in India, keeps happening, again and again with ruthlessly high frequency.

You yourself google, "sexual assault on a foreign tourist in India" and your phone will be filled up with at least 100 various news on the said context

Sorry if I am blunt. Just was concerned about your safety.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Why not look at travel groups were you find similar interest people.

Wow club woman on wanderlust
    Women on clouds and few more.
    Soul purpose

Whether it is india or abroad a tourist needs to take care of all precautionary measures.

Plan well. Work on fitness both emotional and physical. Check for reviews apart from travel based sites

Also look at photography/ painting interest groups and you would get a idea.

All the best.

10. ChennaiExpress

You are absolutely correct. Now I am finding travel buddy. Plus I'll be traveling in car only, and in daylight.

I am traveling to India to heal past scars.

Went to India for arranged marriage (before Dec 2012 rape against medical student), was excited for life ahead. And was looking forward to visiting lovely places in India with my new husband.

Instead right after marriage, instead of getting honeymoon, I got sick and had to go home (he could have easily given medical treatment).

Then when he arrived at the states, he was abusive, caused me to miscarry.

Instead of taking exotic trips around the world as a newly wed couple, I took grim trips to the hospital, and the court system alone.

Now I wish to go to India to complete my trip. To go to places I had longed to go. Even if it's just for two weeks.

Yes I will get travel buddy and take all precautions. And by 2018 I would have made more buddies, who knows!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    BeingSoulful and dnormx01 like this.