1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Contact lens users?

Discussion in 'Cosmetics & Makeups' started by satin, Jul 9, 2014.

1. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

ANybody wearing contact lens and applying eye makeup here?I have cylinder power and have to wear specs for the rest of my life but I dont want to miss out on the fun of wearing eyemakeup plus i htae putting glasses,anybody wearing lenses and have their eye makeup regularly?Is it safe and did yu get any allergies or sort of things from the makeup?

1 person likes this.

2. deepthiraj

deepthiraj Platinum IL'ite

Ya myself using satin mine also cylindrical only.. every i put aye makeup with lens

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I am using contacts for a long time and can never imagine stepping out of my house without mascara and kohl. lol.

If you are referring to these two as eye make-up, yes, we need to take few precautions when using them, both contacts and mascara/kajal.

Put on the contact before any make-up.
    Using a pencil based kohl is better than liquid eye liner.
    Do not apply kohl from the very inner part of water line.
    Even while using mascara, do no use too much of it, or in fact do not apply it till the very end of the eye lashes. And usually, mascara is best applied to the roots of the eye lashes. But in our case, do not rub too much on the roots.
    In any case, if kohl/mascara spreads into the eye, or in fact, contacts, it would create a blurred image. Wash hands thoroughly, remove the contact and clean them with solution immediately. Wipe off the extra kohl/mascara and put back the lenses. Make sure to use clean hands while using contacts.
    Also, I would prefer water proof eye products, as they wouldn't spread/create a mess.
    After that long tiresome day, it is time to remove eye makeup. One can use branded eye make up remover or even olive oil would do. This is very important. Take the remove onto a cotton swab, put it on the eye and gently wipe it outwards the eye. Repeat the process and splash lot of water onto the face and eyes to remove any trace of it.

Seems like a lot of pain in the bum while using contacts, but it would become part of life sooner or later.

Good luck and do post us your experience.

2 people like this.
  4. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

thanks deepthiraj and coolsandy ,feeling a bit confident now,but have you heard stories like one getting blurred vision permanently because of contact lens or serious infection sort of things,my hubby is scaring the hell out of me :)

5. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

Wearing contacts does not mean you can't wear makeup! :) I've been a prescription contact wearer since I was 17 and into makeup since later in college! Only clear lenses, though. Never colored.

As cool sandy rightfully pointed out, place your contacts before applying makeup. Infact, make sure your hands are washed and dry before touching contacts because any oil or residue could potentially make it sting.

Before applying eye makeup, here's a few things to help. Make sure your eyelids are clean and not oily. You can also apply eye primer to your upper lids to make sure or just whatever foundation you're wearing. Primer is better, though.

I am not a huge fan of pencil eye liners so I use gel eyeliners (they come in a pot, you can check out smashbox gel eyeliner...which is the best one I've used so far) and occasionally kohl (Shahnaz Hussein Bio Kohl which comes in a lipstick like container) but this is rare because Kohl does smudge more.

The way in which you apply either of these also makes a huge difference.

I use makeup brushes because it gives me more control and I also don't wind up applying too much. You can find these at Sephora and many other makeup stores (or online).

An angled eyebrush for the upper lid line.
    Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 5.47.54 PM.jpg

A blunt eye brush for the lower lash line outside of your waterline.
    Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 5.48.22 PM.jpg

Whatever is left on either of these brushes gets used to accentuate my eyebrows. And it's important you clean your brushes, too!

In addition to this, I also use liquid eyeliner to set everything. It prevents the gel eyeliner or kohl from spreading elsewhere and makes the pigment deeper. Of course, it depends on the quality of your liquid eyeliner, too. I recommend Marc Jacobs liquid eyeliner pen or something that doesn't easily smudge. Maybe even waterproof.

Same applies with Mascara. Tarte, Givenchy and Mac have some great options :)

I don't wear eyeshadow much, but if I do, then I usually put that on before eyeliner. This is usually what it the end results look like:
    eyes.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    5 people like this.
  6. radhikashinde91

radhikashinde91 Senior IL'ite

All information is very useful for me and my beautiful Eyes. I am using Contact lens and wearing eye makeup. But this all information is very useful for me. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

1 person likes this.
  7. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much HasteRaho for the detailed explanation.After reading all your positive comments I am now really ready to try contact lenses!

1 person likes this.
  8. HasteRaho

:2thumbsup: You're welcome!

Just one last thing: Make sure to clean out your makeup each night and clean your contact lenses, too! Try not to sleep in them :) That's all. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips coolsandy and hasteraho..

I also have a cylindrical/spherical combination power. But with time I have started using eye make-up even when using contacts.

1 person likes this.
  10. HasteRaho

Yes! You can wear makeup along side of this and you should if you want to! :)