1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Constipation Remedies

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Riyasmommy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

2. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Would you consider this as a constipation?
    Aarya 16 months old has following chnages in her bowel moment from last week or so.

1) Having only one poopy diaper instead of 3 a day
    2) Instaed of having dirty diaper first thing in the morning, having it anytime a day
    3) it is not hard
    4) Appetite has lost

Thank
    Meeta

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Meeta,
    My opinion, no it is not constipation, since she is passing motion daily and its not hard. So no worries:thumbsup.
    And the reason for the fourth, maybe she is getting bored with regular menu:). She might be giving hints to you. (Jus kiddin).
    - Nitha

4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

All,

My toddler did not poop for 5 days last week so I gave her a pediatric suppistory(first time). A few minutes later, she pooped a bit and quite a quantity the next day.Next she pooped after 3 days. I am wondering if it is the rice that is constipating her. Have others had a similar experience with white rice?

5. swap0106

swap0106 New IL'ite

hi my daughter is 3.5 years old. she had constipation for sometime that is hard stools passing and a little bleeding. We gave medicines and finally she got better. Now I am very concious of what I give her. White rice is fine but don't just give white rice give it with lentils (daal) which has good fibre content and ghee and a vegetable (steamed veggies) and some pieces of salad. Secondly, rotis and breads are fine but give with veggies. A fruit a day atleast be it ripe bananas, peaches, plums, grapes, melons, guavas, pomogranets, papaya anything. Good quantity. Mosaumbi and orange juice are very very good. Dry fruits like apricots, figs, almonds, raisins. Not you need to soak it only when they are babies later on you can give these dry fruits as snacks as opposed to chips and any other fast food item. Give plenty of water to drink twice milk. Sometimes, you may feel you are giving everything still she is not passing poo. That may be because you are giving everything in less quantity and your child needs more. Start to increase the quantity and you will see the change. Sometimes, my daughter gets constipated after an anti-biotic dosage towards the end maybe coz of the heat generated in body, so I ensure she has lot of fruits, veggies, potatoes and water during those time.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. sima

sima New IL'ite

Hello Ladies-

My baby is 10 months old. He is severely constipated in the past one month and I have tried almost every thing. During his 9 month visit his weight was off the chart so his ped recommended full fat yoghurt. I started to give him yoghurt every day and after that he got constipated. Now I stopped yogurt and giving him oatmeal, prunes, peaches and pears. Also stopped idli and rice items. He is on Miralax everyday. Even after giving him Miralax his stools are still hard. I was really worried about his weight . Also I don't know what kind of Indian foods he can have if I skip the rice items. Any remedies for his constipation?

Please help me with tips.

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Are you still breastfeeding him? Breastmilk can loosen up stools. If you are then try to express some breastmilk and use it to prepare your purees. Cook oats/veggies/fruits, puree it and then add bm to dilute the puree. (Dont cook or blend with the BM.)
    Make the Yoghurt live culture i.e. curd or add probiotics to the diet.
    When we started weaning DS backed up when rice was started, so we reduced the amount of rice, added whole grain in part to the rice and dal (we did try entire meal with whole grain, but that lead to more discomfort for us). Are you on iron supplementation with the solids. Iron is notorious for backing up stuff, so ease off the known culprits for a while, up fluid intake and breastmilk intake and see if there is a difference. We could usually see a difference within the day.

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Sima

My 9-month old also is constipated for the past 3 weeks or so (culprit in his case was the increase in formula since my BM supply is going down). I also find that bananas and rice are constipating for him.

Instead of rice+daal+veggie, I do oatmeal+daal+veggie. For breakfast I give him oatmeal cereal + a fruit like pears, peaches, prunes, plums and instead of water I use prune juice to mix with the cereal. I use Organic 100% juice Prunce juice, 2-3 teaspoons full-strength. That usually helps.

If you want to make idli/dosa etc try making oats idli, or some kind of whole lentil dosa (like the mung dal with skin on)

It takes some experimenting to find out which foods are the culprits and then stay away from those.

9. sima

sima New IL'ite

Thanks tikka and pavarun.

Yes I'm still breastfeeding him. I don't use formula. He takes oatmeal with breastmilk. Everyday I give him fruits and veggies like prunes, pears,peaches, peas, sweet potatoes. I'm really no sure the culprit is Yoghurt or rice. Now i"m not giving him any yoghurt, idli or white rice. I mix lentils into the oat cereal. This is his diet in the last 3 weeks. He is pooping only if we give him the stool softner. Even after that stools are very hard. He is not on any iron supplements.

I read in this post that applying castor oil will help and feeding some beet/carrot soup and raisin water. I have tried verything today. Let me see if there is any results.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  10. sima

sima New IL'ite

tikka,

What's the difference between yoghurt and curd? I thought both are the same. I tried Stonyfiled full fat yoghurt for him but he was constipated after that.