1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Constipation gas fussiness 2 months old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by newlife2010, Jun 17, 2010.

1. newlife2010

newlife2010 New IL'ite

My lo is exclusively formula fed . He takes similac sensitive until 6 week he was eating 6 oz but since 7 week he started reducing amount. Now at 8 weeks he is taking 4.5 oz every 2.5/3 hours . Then he seals his lips or falls asleep throu wakes up twisting his body immefiaty after I burp him and keep upright for 15 minutes.since yesterday he is sleeping mostly in his chair or car seat .what can I do? 2) after taking similac sensitive from 5 weeks he started pooping once a day then every alternate day. Today the first time he pooped after 2 days and he was crying hard, in tears , could not eat much
    or sleep .he was sleeping very less and crancky for last 2 days .I don't know if it is due to constipation. His stool is very hard first then I fed him some water and after an hour he pooped it was pasty ., yellow and soft but firm not too much water at all.he goes mad for hours before and during pooping and wants to eat more immediate after pooping and the timing is also getting very unpredictable . I have lift his legs massage his belly continuously to help him go?I feel terrible. Please tell me what to do to get rid of constipation and gas .mylicon was not much help.does luckwarm water helps regulating bowl movement ?I even don't know why is he waking up when lying flat inhis bed after grunting even though swaddled and kept uprightfor 15 minutes. Please giveme some tips and when babies can have more mature digestive system to overcome all this a day long fussiness gas etc. I am completely burnt out .and when can I expect him to sleep through night entirely ? If you all have/had a schedule or routine please share with me snf tell me how to implement that?

2. baru15

baru15 Senior IL'ite

Hi newlife2010

I am in the same position as yours.I have a 6week DD.She was in NICU for the first week as she was suffering with Reflux.as urs, she is exclusively BF and I am using similac sensitive.after 2 weeks she started suffering with colic/reflux.
    1.while mixing formula,don't shake the bottle..try to mix the formula with a plastic fork.this should really help u in reducing colic.telling u with experience.u will see this diff as well mix formula with lukewarm water
    2.for constipation..lukewarm really helps u.immediately..u will see poppy diaper(works for my DD)
    3.if baby is crying with severe constipation..my doctor suggested 3 times mylicon (mor,eve,night) and for straining(crying) acetaminophen for every 6hrs.
    now for my baby,Colic has disappeared totally and now & then suffering with constipation

Reg feeding..I am feeding her 4oz for every 3hrs and in between if she cries..i am giving her water(1 or 2oz)

Hope my reply helped u in someway...
    Take Care

3. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Hi, this is what my midwife here in germany suggested whn DD didnt poop for 2 days when she was 7wks having formula. and it worked like miracle

Warm the massage oil (anything that u use for massaging) and pour it on the tummy and just give a light massage on the tummy. And with in few minutes LOs poop.

For gas - Cumin cream was given which had to be gently massaged on the tummy every few hours. While changing diaper, take the thies towards the tummy and press the tummy a little. Mid wife also suggested to give baby tea (in india its not given though) baby tea usually contains cumin and fennal seeds.

And Formula is always mixed with luke warm water here and also in India. Isnt it so in US ?

4. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Newlife,

Most babies are colicky during the first 3 months. Besides massaging the tummy with warm oil (Castor or coconut) the following helped us handle ourcolicky and constipated LO:

1. Fenugreek tea- wash fenugreek seeds and boil them in water for 10-15 minutes. Strain it (can be stored in the fridge if you have excess). Make it mild by adding more hot water if it is concentrated. Feed 15-20 mls every day, it must be luke warm while feeding. Helps with the colic and constipation.
    2. After massaging the baby's tummy with warm oil, lay him down and gently hold his legs and do the cycling action with his legs (very gently).

regards,

5. aarthishan

aarthishan New IL'ite

Hi

I too have the same problem with my 38 days old baby. She passes her stools every 2 days and her stools are normal. She keeps tries hard to push her stools out of her bowels and hence keeps crying all these 2 days, I could see her laugh n play once after she passes her stools feeling relaxed and relieved.. I am breastfeeding her and have not given her formula milk, I heard from few of my friends that these improper cycle are normal for breastfed babies. Is it true? And regarding the lukewarm water, doctors suggested me not to give water until my baby is 90 days old and I have not given her even a drop of water from the time she was born, I am worried abt this.. Can this be the reason for her Constipation? Pls help..

Regards
    Aarthi

6. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Aarthi,

My son was also suffering from constipation when he was 1 to 11/2 month old now it is better (3 months completed)
    I was also asked not to give water for my child . when asked abou it , my doctor said that babies will not drink (and blah blah)....

But i really suggest u to give lukewarm water in very small amout may be 10 ml per day . this will really help ur baby constipation

also try to massage the baby tummy using any oil (if possible castor oil)

warm regards
    abitha