1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Constipated --Could soilds be the culprit?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by PeeVee, Jan 12, 2010.

1. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

thanks sudha for the link and the tips..i should try giving him prune..now it is the 4th day..yesterday he tried a lot and i thought it came out..but nothing happend..

lee, i have also heard that raagi is too good for pooping..i went through the link you sent..thanks

both the links suggest not to use any laxative..when i called my doctors nurse, she told me that i can use miralax..but i didnt use it yet as i dont know how safe it is..did anyone try miralax for infants..DS will be 6 months old in a week..

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

PV, veggies alone is not a problem - for my son too, prune juice was not very helpful - however pears, peas, green beans and spinach are.

So I avoid banana and apples altogether, and include the above fruits and veggies everyday.

You may have to experiment with different fruits and veggies to see what is best for his system. Different babies are different. If the constipation is really bad, the laxative may help one time, then try to manage with diet alone.

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I agree with Pavarun...Miralax may be tried in this case because your DS seems to be really constipated...After he poops then you can make dietary changes...

Also Ragi has high iron content...May be that's why he is constipated!! And may be ragi did not suit him!!

I would say stop ragi, give him the laxative this time (if nothing else works!) and make dietary changes..

Hope your DS poops soon!! I know how uncomfortable they will be if they don't poop!!

4. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

thanks pavarun & sudha..i had updated it on the infant section..he pooped on friday just by massaging..but nothing came after that..for the past 2-3 days i am giving him prune mixed with whatever veggies or fruits he take (thaks sudha for the idea)..he doesnt like prune as it is..and avoiding banana and apple completely..he doesnt look upset after he pooped on friday..still trying massaging his tummy everyday..we have a paed appointment this friday..should ask him about the problem..

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

good luck and fingers crossed that he have a bowel movement soon.

6. Lostinva

Lostinva New IL'ite

My son used to constipate a lot when he started to have solid foods.These are the few things i did
    1.Started giving him more water.( Dr said around 8 oz of water a day)
    2.Reduced the amount of cereal,dal etc and instead gave more vegetables and fruit ( dr told me to avoid apples and banana)
    3.gave him prune juice (sunsweet prune juice)1:1
    4.Soaked some raisins in warm water overnight and in the morning squezed it and gave him 1tbsp.This helped to poo.And from then onwards started to give him tat once in afew days to make sure its all smooth
    I hope it helps

7. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Thanks lostinva..i started him on oatmeal cereal and he pooped on friday and sunday..should watch him for few days if this works..otherwise should again try with prune..he has become really bad in taking fluids..he doesnt drink water, juice and even the formula..he drinks breast milk..still i feel i have a kind of under supply..he was taking formula, but for last 2-3 days, drinks very less..dont now how to make him drink some fluid..

8. Lostinva

Lostinva New IL'ite

Hi Pee Vee,
    I can totally understand your situation. I was in the same postion as u r 3 months ago.My son doesn't drink formula either and on and off he doesn;t drink water.What you can do is instead of trying to give lots of water at once try to give little bit once in a while not necessarily after solids may be 1/2 teaspoon of water or something after every1 hr or so etc ...Somebody told after breastfeeding the baby if we give water it helps.youcan try that too.For my son raisins worked.I put 3-4 raisins in water and soaked overnight sqeezed it nicelyand gave it him.
    how about green beans?? I have heard tat it too helps
    I hope ur kid has regular bowl movement soon all the best !!

9. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

for the past few days he was on oatmeal and green beans..may be thats why he pooped:)..i used to give him 1/2 to 1 table spoon water after solid feeding..should try in between as you said..thanks a lot lostinva..

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Peevee,

DD is on oatmeals and its good for health too. Yes poops can be lot better with oatmeal. Atleast once a day with semi solids the child should poop it is good for the system too. Good to know that the poops are getting better.
    Whatever you give maintain one time. Ragi/Oats I feel is good at the start of the day :)