1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Constipated --Could soilds be the culprit?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by PeeVee, Jan 12, 2010.

1. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

I am a working mom. DS was on BFing and formlula until 4months and 2wks..then my paed suggested that i can start giving him cereals..but as we have not yet had his Annaprasanam(first feeding as per the custom, which we are planning only on his 8th month as we are traveling to india at that time) i never wanted to start the rice or oatmeal cereals..so started with fruits and veggies (gerber 1st food) once a day..he mostly eats banana and carrots..and he eats 1/2 the small box( one box is about 2.5 ounce) every day..that he usually eats at around 10.30-11 inthe morning..now he is 5mos and 2wks..as i read that it is always good to give kids iron rich food when they start on solids, i started giving him raagi porridge also in the evening from last friday..so he is on soilds 2 times a day..but he never pooped after he started taking it twice a day..hence i skipped the raagi yday evening..he tries to poop, but noting comes out..i tried giving him raisin boiled water..its really hard to make him drink that now..also i feel his milk intake is considerably reduced..he was used to drink 2.5 to 3 oz formula in every 2 hrs..i feed him in the morning around 6.30 before i go for work..he wakes up around 8.30-9 in the morning and doesnt drink even 2oz of milk..but eats the gerber food around 10.30..then i BF him around 12-12.30..then less than 2oz around 2-2.30..then BFing at around 5..i am worried if he is constipated because of the reduction in fluid intake. or should i cut his solid intake to once a day? if it is once a day, whats a better food?? raagi porridge or fruits and veggies?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

peevee, some children respond badly to bananas. My DS for eg. try to add one meal every month and then two to three snacks, that way your child will receive most of his nutrition from formula and bm, as is recommended by WHO. Mother-2-Mother.com is a good sample menu.
    when your ds is constipated, do back off one meal like you are doing. If it is possible to add a bf session, that will be great. BM can loosen things up a little. This is our paed's advice too. My DS has a tendency to constipate too, this was the only way we could keep him from stool softeners or suppositories. HTH

3. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

thanks a lot tikka..he pooped yday..still i skipped his evening raagi porridge and BFing and formula feeding as much as possible to help him get as much as fluids..hopefully he will become normal in 2-3 days..he drinks milk when he is sleepy, otherwise he just mess with the feeding sessions and doesnt drink anything properly..i dont know if he doesnt like the formula milk anymore.yesterday i tried mixing 1oz prune juice with formula..i thought he would not take it, but to my surprize he drank the whole 3.5oz milk (with juice in it) and within 30miutes he was BFing for another 15mins!

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Hey PeeVee,

Here we meet again :).

I started DS on Rice cereal @ 4.5 months...Somehow my MIL said it's o.k to give rice "cereal" before Annaprasana...Didn't want to argue with her!!!

Anyways, DS got constipated so badly that he did not poop for 3 days and he struggled to poop...Finally I gave him some prune juice diluted in water(1:1 ratio) and it worked and finally he pooped...So immediatley I switched to oatmeal..

We did his Annaprasana this past saturday and on sunday I started him on veggies..I am using "Earth's Best Organic". I gave him Peas for 3 days and started on carrots yesterday..He seems to like both of them. :)
    I am going to either try Bananas or apples next..

My Ped told me that once we start on veggies we should start giving LO's little water..So I give him 1-2 ounces of water..It helps with their bowel movements...Do u give water to your LO?

BTW, Which veggies did you start with??

How did you do the ragi porridge? Can you please give me the recipe?

5. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

oh..thanks mridusudha..its really nice to know someone like you..

I am just waiting for his annaprasana..i know 8mos is too late..but i offered it at a famous temple and hence decided to hold him until then..now a days i used to give him the gerber apple/prune juice (which one did you use?)..after 3 days he pooped on monday morning and from then again holding..yesterday gave the juice again..but no progress yet..i tried almost all veggies and fruits varieties..first i gave apple sauce..he didnt like it..then banana, carrot..i was not giving peas and sweet potatos for a month as he already had gas problems..recently started all those and likes them all..he likes veggies more than fruits..among fruits he likes only banana..but still i try to feed him pear, prune etc..i give the gerber food..i give him only 2-3 baby spoon water just after feeding..i should think about giving more water then..

raagi i give him in the evenings..around 6-6.30 now..i bought the finely powdered raagi available in indian store..1/2 tea spoon of raagi is enough to prepare about 1.5-2oz of porridge..take a small vessel..mix this raagi well with water and then cook it at a medium heat..it would start to thicken as it boils..keep on stirring it..you can add more water while stirring..cook it for 8-10 minutes..my MIL says, if it is not cooked well it can causes stomach problems..i keep the consistency a little looser than the veg/fruit purees we buy..if you want you can add formula or breast milk ..then you should cook it a little thicker to add the milk later..i dont add milk (i read that milk would absorb the iron in raagi)..i used to add few drops of ghee (supposed to be good for pooping, though nothing happens:)) and 1/4tea spoon organic sugar..DS likes raagi better than the gerber food..

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

PeeVee,

Thanks a ton for the recipe..I will surely try that..

BTW, regarding prune juice - I read that Gerber apple/prunce juice is not that effective...
    So what I did was bought the regular prune juice and diluted it with water..
    But make sure that you buy 100% juice (no added sugars).

But I had to give it to DS only once..

Don't give it your LO unless he is constipated...If he seems to be o.k (no straining, no fussing) and if his stomach is soft then it's o.k for them not to poop everyday...

DS sometimes skips and goes every other day..But I don't give him the prune juice then..

Hope your DS poops !!

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

PV and MS,

My LO was also constipated with bananas and rice cereal. I find that he is best with oatmeal and pears, so this is his daily breakfast. Veggies like spinach, peas, green beans etc are supposed to be high fiber.

8. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

thanks pavarun..is it okay if they eat only veggies but no frits..DS doesnt like fruits..the only fruit he likes is banana and i am worried if that would worse the problem..

mridu,
    i am still waiting for him to poop..last he pooped on monday morning:bowdown..i give him prune juice 1-2 ounce alternate days..my paed to its safe to give..probably it is because i am giving him the gerber apple prune..should try the other one now..whats the ratio you use to dilute the juice..could you please tell me what brand you buy and from where?? thanks..

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Hey PeeVee,

I bought the Prune juice from Super Target. I just saw the name and it says "Market Pantry 100% prune juice". I take one ounce of juice and dilute it with one ounce of water...

I heard Prune baby food from gerber/earth's best is very effective too...Did you try that?? If your baby will not eat Prune baby food then mix little bit banana with more of prune and give it to him.

I followed this when DS was constipated
    Infant constipation: How is it treated? - MayoClinic.com

I took little vaseline with a Q-tip and gently applied to DS's anus...This treatment is also mentioned in the above link...
    It definitely helped DS in pooping..

Hope your DS poops soon...

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Peevee,

I don't know if its true for all but for DD ragi porridge helps her poop better. May be because its cooling in nature. I still don't know if its suiting her coz the poops are so frequent with ragi porridge. Yes, but it helps in getting the poop out :) I start the day with ragi porridge for breakfast.

Also as Sudha mentioned water to be served 10 mins after semi solids. I have stopped peas and potatoes for DD as she was getting gassy.

Here a link on constipation

Constipation

I have again started to keep baby in the bath tub after baths now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010