1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Consciously Raising More Aware Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meVaidehi, Dec 24, 2018.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viswa.I stop here.
    jayasala 42

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

i never Attended any weekly Sai Bhajans in any one’s house in India , you would go to a temple .

Here I see people having sai Bhajans on weekly rotation basis , one reason is developing spirituality and another reason is passing time and and opportunity to mingle with other Indians as the social life here is limited.

There could some who are very spiritual and very interested to learn meanings and all but many are in for getting some time together with other Indians and let Indian kids experience some culture and meet Indian kids.

In my house we don’t specifically teach anything about religion but I celebrate festivals and kids participate in it and they daily prayer ritual. They will watch and learn , that is the way which I learned.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    This is what one might call barking Rudhram Chamakam* up a wrong tree. If he really wanted to hook his son up with a gf of the "right sort", he would be attending one of those American sat-sangs with his son, a particular sat-sangh where there'd be parents of teenage girls in attendance, in someone's home-basement pooja hall:

*The hymn known as Chamakam is the 7th Prapathaka of the 4th Kanda of the Taittiriya recension of the Black Yajur Veda. Each mantra ends with a cha me(literally for me) & hence the name. The Chamakam consists of requests for the fulfilment of over 300 worldly & spiritual desires. [Source]

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet,

Here is a link that might be helpful to know why we are asking what we are asking while chanting Chamakam:

Pradosham.com | சமகம் | Chamakam

I believe the purpose of Satsang is to assemble right-minded people for spiritual growth and development. They are not intended for hooking up boys with girls. If the families are traditional, they could visit a matrimonial sites and if they are modern, they can let boys and girls to go to a pub and ask the time-tested question, "Do I know you?" to each other. Or even ask them to enroll in online dating sights such as "Coffee meets Bagel".

jskls and Mistt like this.
  6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Well said Sir

How do you assume/think that doing poojas, visiting temples, get togethers and etc are meant for searching girl friend/boy friend? Wherever we live isn't matter but how we live is matter. True, we have been living abroad but it doesn't mean that we can't raise our kids with Indian culture and values.

kkrish and jskls like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @meVaidehi ,

This is important!
    It is like - it is not the subject but learning that needs to be given. All we can do is expose to the values we have been brought up with or believe in, hoping that we have given them the right tools to learn - in all spheres of life making them good human beings!

Nice to read your experience!

meVaidehi and jskls like this.
  8. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Beautifully said. That's all we can do and let them figure out the rest.

Srama likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Having roots and a sense of community is important for all of us — regardless of where we live.

In India, we learn religion/spirituality by osmosis. It is all around us and we simply absorb it without even trying. Away from India, we acquire this knowledge only through conscious effort. Attending these events helps immensely.

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I agree, here temple visits are more towards social gatherings.

Our local South Indian group plans and organizes, religious events well in advance. These gathering gives that sense of belonging, keeps my anxiety level down and free lunch / dinner.

In our youth, we had religious exposure and no one forced us beyond that. Later in life, some are choose to be involved more than others. The same way, we can include our kids in our activities. It is up to them, later in life to get involve with our religious / temple activities.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019