1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Confusion at uncontrolled intersections while driving.....HELP me!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pman16, Mar 29, 2009.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Iam a new driver who have started to drive on my own just recently. Im quite okay driving at guided traffic signals but get confused at uncontrolled intersections like who comes first and who has the right-of-way. I feel that i have come first but sometimes others dont stop. Sometimes they are wrong but still im afraid.

Can someone help me to overcome this fear? Did anyone face a similar situation and how did you overcome??

PM

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

By uncontrolled intersections,I think you mean the 'Four way Stop sign'.Whenever you approach such a sign,you should be alert to see who reaches the stop line first and stops first.Whoever comes first,goes first.

If two cars come at the same time,the car on the right has the right to go first!

Having said all that,sometimes even experienced drivers are confused at such points.So the best thing to do is,stop ,look and then move.If you see the other car moving too,stop immediately.Sometimes,even the other car will stop thinking you are going to move.At this time,the best thing to do is -signal with your hand -and ask the other car to move first.Sometimes,that person will signal and ask you to move first.

Hope I have not confused you!!

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Pman:

I am confused at what type of intersection you are talking about. Most intersections are controlled by some form of sign or light. The signs are just as powerful in their directions to the driver as the light. Could you please elaborate on the signage etc so we can help you better?