Confusion about baby's bedding

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by peartree, May 25, 2010.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi All

I am 26weeks and 2days pregnant and we have just begun to list and look for all the stuff we would need before the baby arrives. I have a fair idea of all the things we would need from other queries here but I am most confused about the crib! Whoever I ask has been giving me diametrically opposite views on whether we need a crib or not. After hearing this, I decided to hold off on the crib for now and buy it a couple months later!

All this while I have been thinking that I will have the baby sleep with me at least for the first few months when (s)he would be waking up every few hours to be nursed/fed/changed and then eventually shift her/him to the crib. But I have heard that in the initial days, it is best for the baby to sleep on a surface that is as firm as it can be and all the mattresses that I have checked out also seem to be really firm and solid. Now our mattress, while it is not soft is certainly not very firm. Would someone please suggest what I should do? Would you advice buying a crib and making the baby sleep in it right from the beginning?

Also, our house is a 2 storied house with all the bedrooms on the second level and the one bedroom downstairs is being used as a study. My mom will be with me helping me take care of the little one and I am anticipating that we will be downstairs mostly during the day time. I am not a big fan of the baby monitor thing and I really think it is unfair to expect my mom to run upstairs every time to check on the baby. So is it okay to make the baby lie on the floor on some sheets? I know it is too soon to worry about all this, but can someone please help me? :bonk

Thanks a lot!

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

You can get a crib for upstairs (one side of which should come down so that you can place the baby on the crib next to your bed) and then get a portable crib / playyard for the bottom floor. Graco makes good ones which come with a changing table in it. Or you can get an arm's reach co-sleeper.

3. Happysoul1234

the other thing we had done was put the baby down to lay on a changing pad on the sofa/bed whereever my mom was. this way if he fell asleep and we needed to move him, we could easily lift him and take him from room to room as needed. it worked till he started to roll over around 4 months. we then put the changing pad inside the arms reach cosleeper. since it has wheels on one side, we could move that as well from room to room.

the baby monitor is a useful thing believe me. if your kitchen is downstairs, and the pressure cooker whistle goes off, and your baby is sleeping, he/she may get startled and start crying. in such situations, it is better to leave baby upstairs and have a monitor downstairs. sony makes a good one.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Pooja

Thanks a bunch for responding to my query! The crib I had in mind for when I will get one has a fixed rail, so guess that's out. I will look for one that can be adjusted.

So you do not recommend making the baby sleep with me on a not-so-firm mattress, right?
    The play yard for downstairs seems like a good idea.

Yes, everyone I have spoken to has been vouching for the baby monitor, but for some reason I am so paranoid about it! I always feel it might malfunction and we would ignore the baby's cries :hide:

I know that I am being impractical, but I always feel that my husband and I will end up doing something very wrong and cause the baby some distress without not knowing what to do :-( I am trying to reassure myself that it will be okay, but can somehow never overcome the fear!

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Peartree,

I can understand your concerns because I was in the same situation 10 months ago. DH & me were also afraid to have the baby next to us on our bed and even we have a two storeyed home and a guest bedroom downstairs. So here's what we did

1: I Bought a Pack N Play(brand new) for downstairs.He slept in the Pack N play for naps until 3 months old. It also has a changing station which helped with the diaper changes downstairs.This is what I have. The pattern is good and the bassinett and changing pad were very durable. I think the weight limit on this one is high.
    Graco Pack n Play Little Hoot : Target

DS is almost 10 months old and I still use this Pack N play for afternoon naps(sometimes) or for some quiet time for DS. And even if I have to cook or go to restroom I put DS in there with some toys and he plays. Of course I took out the bassinett portion and use only the lower portion now. Definitely a good buy so far.

2: I bought a cradle and used it for the first 3 months. DS rolled over @ 3 months. So I stopped using this @ 3 months. But it was next to my bed and it was so easy to put and take out the baby for frequent night feedings. I could also rock the cradle whenever he moved. I bought this off craigslist for $ 60 but I bought a new cradle pad and sheets.
    Da Vinci Futura Cradle in Cherry - Da Vinci - Babies "R" Us

By putting DS in the cradle, DH & me were assured that we won't put out blankets on him or accidently fall on him. Even though I was waking up every few hours to feed him, it definitely helped all of us sleep in peace.

If you wish you can skip buying the cradle and just buy a drop side crib and have the crib next to your bed.

3: I also bought a crib (brand new) and put that crib in his room but only started using it when he rolled over @ 3 months. He needed more space and outgrew the cradle then..I bought a good crib mattress and breathable bumpers. I moved DS to his room and his crib @ 3 months and ever since he has been sleeping there for naps and bedtime. He loves his own space now and so do I :)
    This is the crib I have. One side of the crib drops down
    Delta Jenny Lind Non-Drop Side Crib - Oak - Delta - Babies "R" Us

This is the crib mattress I bought
    Simmons Kids Slumber Time Renewed Glow Crib and Toddler Bed Mattress - Simmons - Toys "R" Us

This is the breathable bumper I bought
    BreathableBaby Breathable Safer Bumper - Fits All Cribs - Sage - BreathableBaby - Babies "R" Us

I also bought a changing table from craigslist for $ 20 for his room. something similar to this
    Delta Jenny Lind Change Table - Golden Honey - Delta - Babies "R" Us

4: I have this Sony monitor and it works excellently. I agree with Pooja on this one. You definitely are better off buying a monitor. I have this one and I have been using this ever since. The monitor never failed me so far.
    Sony Baby Call Baby Monitor - 900MHZ - Sony Electronics - Babies "R" Us

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot Mridusudha!

This is another thing that has been eating my head! About whether it is okay to buy used stuff. On one haNd, I don't want to accumulate too many things that the baby will not use for more than a couple of months. But on the other hand, there's so many things that people tell me are absolutely necessary!

I think the drop side crib and the play yard are a good idea and will start looking for those. And guess the monitor comes back into the "must" list :) Thanks so much again for taking the time to reply and also providing the links to all the stuff.

7. Happysoul1234

I have the same monitor that sudha has and it has yet to fail me too. They also have a version which has 2 monitors and 1 base so you can listen to your kid from 2 rooms.

We did not have a crib in the beginning. till he was about 3 months old I used to place my son on the changing pad and put that on my bed at nights. once he started rolling he got transferred to the bed, I slept with him on the bed, dh on the floor. then one night, while I was sleeping in the other room, my son rolled over my husband and onto the floor. thankfully he was fine. we then bought a 2nd hand crib/mattress but he did not last long in there. so we bought a king size bed instead. we all 3 now can sleep comfortably in it!

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Pooja

Is it okay to make the baby sleep on the changing pad on our mattress even if it is not that firm? I would actually prefer making him/her sleep with me at least in the beginning.

We already have a king sized bed, and my biggest fear is that my husband or I would roll over and squish the baby :shaking: I shudder even thinking about it! I am already thinking I am going to be spending sleepless nights, even without my baby waking me up!!! :spin

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. Happysoul1234

yep same fear of squashing the baby made me put him on the changing pad on the bed while we slept. it works till they start to roll over, then you will have to come up with a new strategy :)

we went and got the organic changing pad made by serta from babies r us. I think it was 30 bucks or so.

yah if you have a soft bed, baby might get disturbed if someone moves etc. you can make your bed more firm by getting a mattress pad if you'd like though putting baby on changing pad should be enough on its own

when are you due?

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

peatree, congratulations. Could not stop myself from posting here...mine are a little grown up now :)

first, do get the monitor. I know it is on your must list now!!
    two, adjustable crib is a good idea - about you rolling over baby, i assure you your maternal instincts will kick in and you will do fine. I remember falling asleep with the little ones on my chest and the way I used to wake up everytime they moved.
    third, I had these baby comforters that were gifted to me and some that I made, so I used to put 2-3down and make hem sleep on the floor when they were babies - they actually slept here better :) I had a playpen, but they never got used to it and it was used for changing. Infact my second child would sleep on the hard wood floor on comforters and my older one would walk around and she would not wake up in the noise. so when he started school, she actually needed some music (noise) to sleep. I always preferred them on comforters vs sofa or playpen.
    Fourth, try to have set place for the baby to nap and sleep - they will begin to understand and sleep better.
    Fifth, trust those maternal instincts. You will do just fine.

I am sure you have the must haves list, but here's how things worked for me -
    baby monitor - a big yes.
    swing - great hit with the first one, second one didn't like it.
    boppy - worked well with both and I am grateful for it. Best suggestion I ever received.
    playpen - didn't work much ended up as changing table
    bouncer - worked with my first, not so much with my second. But useful till they are 3-4 months atleats.
    bath tub and ring - fantastic with both.
    high chair - worked well with both and neither of them took to booster seats.
    crib - never used it. Placed both of them on a firm seperate mattress next to my bed and transitioned to their rooms.

I think I have covered all the big items. Hope it has helped and not the other way around.

Happy mothering.