1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

confused ?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramya76, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ramya76

ramya76 New IL'ite

hi all,

i have a 8 month old son.He was born april 24 .he weighs 7.95 kg.Actually he was a premature baby coz of my GD.and he was in NICU for a week as his lungs didnt open.but by gods grace he is all weel.very active and eats well.but the doc says he has to put more weight.she also said she might prescribe some iron tabs for him co he looks slightly pale.he plays very well and is too active.so far the doc has nt given him any medicine.she jus said she might give him smtg.

i am worried.my husband tells i am worrying for nothing.am i over reacting or it is common for babies to be little anaemic.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I dont agree with your doctor that your child is underweight. My preemie weighed 7.8 kg at 1 year and he was on the 5th percentile, not underweight. Also in the place of random iron supplementation, I would suggest a test is done for iron levels before supplementation is started.
    Premature children may not have had the opportunity to store up on iron and their sources may get depleted pretty soon, but using iron-rich weaning food (not food where there is iron added, like cerelac) could help. DS did look a bit pale at that age and our paed suggested we add a few more iron-rich food at that stage before she would consider supplementation. But by 1st year, he seemed to have picked up iron from food and breastfeeding alone. Yes, children do get a little low on iron after 6 months, but IMO there is no need for automatic supplementation. Hope that helps.

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

how premature was your baby? My paed told me that kids born early can be aneamic because their iron stores only build up in the last few weeks of pregnancy, therefore premies are more prone to be iron-deficient.

ask your doc to do a blood test to check the iron levels in your son and then prescribe iron only if needed. my son's iron level was 8.8 at his 1 year checkup and after 2 months of iron supplements it is at a healthy 11.8 , he was born at 37 weeks 2 days due to GD.

per the who weight chart looks like your son is in the 25th percentile for weight, which is pretty ok. mine was in the 50th percentile at birth and now at 17 months he is just in the 25th percentile and my paed is extremely ok with that.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/WFA_boys_0_5_percentiles.pdf

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi, I think 7.95 kgs @ 8 months is normal or even good if you take my example.. my DS was born completing 39 weeks and weighed abt 7 kgs @ 8 months and 9.5 kgs when he turned 1 yr. He was very active and doc said he is absolutely normal.

5. ramya76

ramya76 New IL'ite

thanks a lot gals.u knw it is such a relief to me

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Seeing preemie baby talk I couldn't stop me to pitch into this topic ladies :). As you know I also have a preemie.. He is growing day by day which I can nicely see it.. He was 5pounds and 4oz during our last check up and I think now he shud be 6pounds..

I have few questions too -

1. Some people tell that preemie will be very weak for few months.. Is it??
    2. Will iron content be less for preemies? How to improve it? Though they take only BM iron will be less ah?

7. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

Though I do not have really good experience in preemie area but I have done some reading about preemies yesterday-

1) Get away the fears of preemie being weak, its just that people around keep emitting these fears and you grow being very cautious and fearful alongwith the preemie. It is not being weak, but you need to back track their growth and development will be 2 months lesser taking into consideration your EDD. Right now Rithik is doing fine.
    2) It was mentioned in the book that preemies lack iron and need supplements from one month onwards as they do not get it from their mother in the womb.

Hang in there, and wait for replies from mothers with preemies.

8. ramya76

ramya76 New IL'ite

hi,

My son was born 35 weeks but now he is developing normally.In the beginnig i was also scared as to whether my son will be weak.but he is like all normal babies with his occasional cold and coughs.

My son was given iron syrup when he was 2 months old.But again now my doc here says he might be slightly anaemic.i am giving him dates daily.lets see

9. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Ramya.. Ya, I think people made a saying itself that preemies are weak.. I dont know why they made like that and making others to unneccessarily worry.. I do understand that we need to care more.. All babies need care but preemie need a special care may be..

Adding, my ped did not give him any vaccination or any iron supplements.. Is this normal? Ped never told anything about iron to me.. Jan 28th we have his 1st vaccination appointment..

10. ramya76

ramya76 New IL'ite

hi anitha,

how early was ur son born?my doc told me preemies usually have some vitamin deficiency since they r out before their system develops fully.so he gave iron and another vitsmin syrup right frm the first month till third month.

as for the vaccinations it differ frm country to country.In India measles vaccine is given at 9 mths but when i went for my son vaccine now they told me in Dubai it is only after one year.