1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Confused whether life in USA is better than our country!!

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by sunitaarun, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sunitaarun

sunitaarun New IL'ite

Hi IL's, My husband is in Virginia, Herndon city. Me and my 14 years old son studying in 9th grade, has also got H4 stamped. But my husband is sceptical to take my son to USA, because of the negative reviews he got from some Indians settled there. According to them studies are better in India at this age and the open culture, racism in school might effect our son adversely. I am confused !! I sincerely request my friends settled there to guide us to take correct decision.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

How long is your husband going to stay there ?

if it only couple of years, then you need to really think about your son's education because he is 9th grade and what will happen if he comes back in year or two and face board exams in India and various competitive exams .

You can still go during summer holidays this year , enroll your son in school here , the schools are usually open till Jun 1st week in US and see how you feel about it.

sindmani and sunitaarun like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Herndon has a diverse population, meaning there are lots of people from different countries. Usually such areas have lower instances of racism. Herndon also has good schools. I do not know much about the high schools there but in general in US, high schools have pretty tough syllabus and expectations. Its not bookish only as it is India. I know some families with middleschoolers (7th std) who moved to US. Their problem was with english (english standards are pretty high here, I am told), the american accent, coping with non bookish academics and the emphasis on extra curricular activities.However at the end of the school year, they really loved it here. They do fun stuff like woodwork at school.

I feel it will be a great exposure to your son if he is willing to work harder on the stuff that he is missing now.

That said, how long is your husband going to stay in US? What plans do you have for your son's college? Is he going to stay in US or in India?

sindmani and sunitaarun like this.
  4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

It will be very tough for your son as the syllabus is completlty different. Culture shock to your son. Very very tough. If your son is okay with all this than it should'nt be a problem. You better have a good talk with your son.

2 people like this.
  5. DreamWorld

DreamWorld Silver IL'ite

Dear OP, If your husband's project/stay is for short term, dont move to USA.
    Or else keep your son at your parents place for his education (only if you also want to join your husband for temp stay) as he is already in 9th grade, let him complete his 2 years of education and then get him to USA.

sindmani likes this.
  6. sunitaarun

sunitaarun New IL'ite

Thanks Ladies,

It was a real pleasure reading your quick replies.

By the way my husband has his visa till 2016 which is likely to be extended for another 3 years. My son's ambition is to become an Automobile Engineer, he is very passionate about cars and already knows much about world class cars and its make and technology.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Will you stay in the US till your son finishes high school? If he wants to go to college in the US then it will be good to make the move. If the plan is for him to study engineering in India then it will be different.
    Herndon is very diverse, with a lot of immigrants. Racism is not a big concern. However it will be a big cultural shift for your son. A lot of kids will already have their friend groups, as many would have studied together for years. It can be an adjustment for your son to make friends and fit in. That is not necessarily a negative, just something to consider.
    Be sure that you research schools very well before choosing housing, if you are going to public schools.

sindmani likes this.
  8. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I think it is a very valuable experience for the child to live in another culture and of course there is the benefit of learning the language (accent) also. US schools put a lot of importance on presentations, projects and "non-academic" topics which is also good for the childs development. If it is a diverse community your child will also be exposed to children from various backgrounds which is good.

9. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I have a high school going child and I will not recommend you to bring your son at this vulnerable age to make such a huge move. It will be difficult for him to fit in academically and socially. But once he graduate from high school he can easily join in Universities as international student as there are many international students are here ( head fees is very high, not much idea about it)

1 person likes this.
  10. krisa

krisa New IL'ite

He only has three years to complete school. Bring him to the US after school so that he can enjoy best of two worlds. Indian education is better when you compare 12th standard science and maths.

I have seen my class mates suffer in maths although I might have seen a small sample