1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confused over the relationship

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by dancingduo, Mar 24, 2014.

1. dancingduo

dancingduo Senior IL'ite

Bit of a background:-
    Mine was a love marriage and we are married for a year and a half now. And we stay abroad, either side of the families not with us. My husband is basically good but there are some things which is bothering me these days
    1. He doesn’t share any of his finance details to me.
    2. He is not transparent with his side of affairs. I don’t expect him to tell me everything but things that involves me is always told in the last minute. E.g When I was at his place for his sister’s marriage, he just informed things in the last minute and got me ready. His parents doesn’t tell things to me even if I’m involved and it comes from him
    3. He didn’t share with me what he did for his sister for her marriage. When asked he says that I didn’t have account on that and anyway its our money (his and his dad’s)
    4. He used to be very transparent and share things with me before marriage. We have got a house here and I’m paying for an apartment in India too. So all these things we discussed before marriage and we were pretty good too. Even for the reception at his place he even decided on the menu just after asking me. But now even if it’s a big thing, he totally avoids discussing with me. And he says that I earned it.
    5. He doesn’t like me talking to my mom and always says that she is the reason for all the issues
    To my knowledge what I feel where I failed was:-
    1. I am too straight forward. My PILs were not very happy to get us married from the first and I was too open to my husband on how his mom ill-treated me
    2. In the name of giving solution for his financial issues I have suggested to sell his dad’s land in equal shares for everyone at home. Later I was labelled as a Home splitter
    3. Now whatever I do , he imagines that I’m faking around

Now the issue
    My parents are getting a land for me in India and my dad prepared a power of attorney on his name so that he can pay the amount and get the land for me. I asked my husband to read the document before the formalities. He asks me why they didn’t add his name as my husband in the document. I was so angry and asked him how he can expect such things when he is not doing it in first place. The property which I’m paying the money even before my marriage is on his name and his dad has got the power of attorney (S I was so stupid to trust someone even before marriage). Where am I wrong? I’m finding every possible way to get things right. But I am always been suspected and is not involved in anything.. I’m really clueless. Can you really tell me what I should do to remain sane? People always find me as friendly person and what an irony my own husband don’t believe that I belong to his family too

2. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Ask him to add your name in the house for which you are paying the EMI. Tell him to share the payments

Then you can add his name in this land if you want.

Another Solution: tell him to repay all the money you have paid for that house, take care of the rest of the payments. So that will be in his name, this one will be in your name.

If he does not tell you what he does with his money, you dont have to either.

4 people like this.
  3. dancingduo

dancingduo Senior IL'ite

Thank you soulful for the reply. You made me feel good as I always have this guilt ride that im just following what he does, which is not having any good future. But things don't get sorted as we fight on such things very often.. What I dont understand is why cant he be bit more transparent? Family is all about being straight right?? I have to literally pull words out of his mouth when it comes to finance...I dont know where I am wrong.. Before my marriage ppl used to say that I can tackle any situations with ease but what I face these days is getting to my nerve...its very painful when person, whom u think as family , sees you an outsider always..

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You are not a part of "their account"so he has no business being part of your finance.Agree with soulful. At least add your name to the house you are paying for. Keep your finances separate and invest separately till he is ready to share his life(in every sense)completely with you.You keep good relations with your side of the family.Let him know if he is not ready to make you part of "their account" ...you have your family and you can keep "your account" with your family ...just like him.It is sad that men are willing to have women take financial responsibility of their life but won't give them respect.

As for not being part of the family decision like marriage or other stuff...just ignore.You can't really force yourself to be part of their family if they don't want. Specially if there is friction in the relationship,it is better to keep distance. You do what you are asked to do and then enjoy yourself.

2 people like this.
  5. HeartHealer

HeartHealer Guest

Hi dancingduo,

Men ( Husbands or Boyfriends ) generally have a tendency of not sharing things with their partners ( wives or girlfriends ) primarily because they don't want to involve themselves in arguments and spoil the whole mood.
    There's always a fear of things landing disgracefully in their wife's head resulting in her nonacceptance and later turning the whole discussion into fight. So, to avoid getting into these quibbles that spoil the complete mood and makes one feel like a "looser", is mainly why husband/boyfriends don't share things with their partners.

In your case, since you're independent, smart and intelligent and with what you've written above, it looks you too manage family's finances, there could have been some instances where you and your husband must have had involved in some bitter discussions over finances earlier, which has resulted in him avoid having discussions with you related to finance.

Also, Love is not the same always. Before marriage when you were love buddies, things were different, when you got married, there was this happiness of having each other beside you as your life-partner... but with time, love fades.
    At this stage, he might be questioning himself of all the decisions taken and whether or not were they worth enough. Was that a really good decision to marry against his parent's wish and hurt their emotions or emotions of your parent's as well?

But, all this is just my hunch. I am not blaming you of anything, so please don't get me wrong. But there are times when these thoughts creep in and make one feel really uncomfortable. You guys have just got married ( one and a half year is a very less time ) and there are fights, discussions, debates, accusations, insecurity etc.

Come on, this is really alarming. If things like this continue then a day will come when you would start regretting your decision of marrying him. Before that time comes, it better to make things up.

All I can advise you here is, for a time being, just listen to him and trust him on whatever he's doing. Avoid asking any questions about finance or anything related to his family. Refrain yourself from discussing about your family matters with him, just for the time being.
    I guess it was a tough time for you guys to convince your respective families for the marriage. Both of you must have experienced the bitter side of parental care. So, you guys need to relax. Just let things happen in the way they are happening.

Remember, he's your husband and he will take care of you since he loves you. So, just relax about it.

All that is written above is a wild guess of your situation. They reasons can be different. If you want to know the real reason, you need to clearly have a talk with your hubby on this and explain to him your problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. yellowmango

That is pretty insulting ...What if wives stop sharing their life with husbands because of imaginary concerns.

The ostrich approach of digging the head in sand doesn't often work.By the time the head comes above ,it is often too late. The general rule is ...if you bend ...you will be expected to stay like that for ever.

2 people like this.
  7. HeartHealer

HeartHealer Guest

Hi yellowmango

I know this is very insulting and as a woman you would definitely feel bad knowing about it. But, this is somewhere true. Please do not compare men and women. They are different entities altogether. They exhibit different nature. Women, naturally all across the globe are known for their tenderness, for their values, the way they keep their family ties together, their care and their love. Its in their nature. After a day long work when you come back home, you share everything with your husband. That comes out naturally. But, for men, things are little different. They do not have this tendency of spilling everything out all by themselves. You have to ask them and only then they would speak up. You feel the necessity of speaking things up, he don't. I am not generalizing this thing up, but that's the common seen fact.

Things get worsen up when husbands find their wives interfering too much with what they do. Even if the lady's intentions are clear, it would be taken up in that very wrong sense.

I don't say it's good, but, I accept its in the nature. It's not about bending. You are wives, not slaves. You have every right of questioning and standing in the way of anything's that going wrong. But, there are times when your husband expects you to trust him and his motives for something and just don't want you to point out on him.

In the above case, where OP's husband is not telling her about how much he had spend on his sister's marriage could be because of the fear that telling her the actual figures of how much he invested in his sister, MIGHT welcome an unwanted discussion and spoil things up.

See, this is all my conclusion of the whole situation and I might be wrong. With all due respect, I am really not blaming any woman for anything. I really appreciate all the efforts that you ladies put in that make world a beautiful place to live in.

1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

^^^ I get what you are trying to say ...but a husband who expects his name on a flat she is paying for since before marriage and land his fil in giving his daughter should be more trusting of his wife.

2 people like this.
  9. nalinidiv

nalinidiv Platinum IL'ite

Recently read an article... making the wife pay up the EMI for a property which is not in her name is equivalent of cheating...
    OP,
    Like soulful and yellowmango said... U don ahve to pay the EMI of a property which doesnt belong to u... let him keep his finance details as a secret.. u maintain the same.. not by protesting or fighting..but tactfully.. once his hands start itching due to alck of money .. ul get to know the details and u can putforth ur conditions at dat point n make things clear

4 people like this.
  10. dancingduo

dancingduo Senior IL'ite

Thank you all for the replies and sorry couldn't respond on time.
    HeartHealer I get your point but what I expect from him is to be fair. If you expect your wife to be transparent , you have to follow the same too.. Why preach something else to what you practice? If he really didn't want any arguments why raising such questions in first place why his name was not added. Okie if you say that he is so attached to me and want his name in every other document of mine, wont I expect the same too?? If he really want to maintain the peace at home, why don't he discuss things with me? Why does he think that I will discourage him. But one thing I have to accept that some heated arguments in the past must have made him behave this way. So I can try to avoid unnecessary fights but when it comes to such incident I don't want to be a silent spectator caz marriage is about two ppl and both the parties should be happy.Trust and transparency is vital in a marriage.

Yellowmango
    Thank you very much for writing down my exact thoughts. I'm glad that my thoughts are acknowledged too. But its bit weird that at times I think that I'm wrong somewhere.
    Nalini
    He has reached a point where he wants my support now and I have made him clear about the conditions and he has agreed on that.. Lets see how things go from here-on.

If it was not you (soulful, yellowmango, nalini) who gave me this support, I would have gone crying all day. Thanks for the advice and suggestions :thankyou2: And Hearthealer I appreciate you for letting me know some of the reasons for his behavior. I'm happy that I started this thread or else would have ended with an all day fight. :bonk

Its not about the finance I am worried about. I'm saddened deep within for this lack of trust?? Life would have been better if there is no complication.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    3 people like this.