Confused over progesterone supplement

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by plzhelp, Oct 25, 2010.

1. plzhelp

plzhelp New IL'ite

Hi,

Im 7W3D pregnant as of today and when I was 5 weeks into my pregnancy, I was temping my BBT and found it going low. So I requested the doctors office to prescribe me with progesterone tests. They did that and the results were borderline. My doctor did not prescribe me with supplements then. Later at around 6 weeks, I had pinkish discharge on 3 occasions and then when I told my doctor about this, she prescribed me with Crinone 8% progesterone gel. We did get it but when we read the leaflet inside the medicine, it said it could cause birth defects in the featus. Since I have not been spotting for the last 1 week and the baby measured fine at 6W5D scan, my husband thinks it is not necessary for me to take this. Im confused at this stage. On one side I want my baby to born juz fine n on the other I feel nothing should happen bcoz of low progesterone.
    Appreciate if people who took this please advice me. DH says we can take it if I start spotting again but I juz dont want it to be too late.

2. coolheart

coolheart New IL'ite

Hi
    I'm taking progestrone supplement orally... Iv been asked to continue for 12 to 13 weeks, since after that the placenta takes care.You should really consult ur doc abt this, as u know progestrone is very important, if u r given the medicaation it's best if u take it, but I'm sorry I don't hv any info on the drug u mentioned. Take care. Good luck:)

3. aqua5dreamz

aqua5dreamz Senior IL'ite

My 1st prenatal checkup didn't show a fetus in my sac.
    So she prescribed a TVS and progesterone supplement - oral - to me.

The TVS was normal & I saw the baby's beating heart and the sac too.
    Went to another doc. She asked me to just continue the supplement since its an additional hormone and nothing else till the pack is finished.

I would suggest ask your office to write up a oral supplement for you in case you have a doubt about the gel.

All the best.