Confused,need help

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by suma21, Sep 4, 2007.

1. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    i am mom to 2 years old kid & working in J2EE Tech in US.My lil one is frequently ill because of the daycare.She is picky eater & eat very less in daycare ,on top of it gets infection from other kids very often.She was down with throat infection,ear infection....whole of this month.It was very difficult to manage job with sick child.I am planning to leave job & take care of her till she is ready & learns to eat properly.I even tried changing her daycare but no use.I am not sure if it is good to take break from my career at this point.My lil one is more important to me than job.I am not sure how easy /difficult to catch on job later.she will also be bored at home specially in winter.Also want to switch my career to lighter job like QA testing later to balance the family.Totally confused on how to handle this situation?Please suggest if someone has gone thru this phase of life before.

Thanks in advance
    suma

2. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi suma
    im sorry to hear about your situation.
    can i just have a quick question...how old is your child?

take care,

3. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

she is 23 months old.....

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Suma,
    It is always better to take care of the child if she gets sick that often if you leave her at home. Check with your company whether they can offer you a job to work from home part time or full time. You can do justice to both your career and to your baby. Because soon your baby will start her terrible twos and then she will be needing your attention much more.

All the Best

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

You should quit your job. Do not worry, women take break and come back with a big bang. I have seen so many women who return to their skills once the children are able to manage by themselves.

Opportunities will always be there for talented people, nothing to worry.

Cheer up...........

6. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Hi Suma,
    I had always taken long time offs during my 13 years of work life.

I could find jobs right away once I was ready for work again. It is just that you have to plan ahead of time as per into what line of work you want to get into this time around and prepare accordingly.

I started my work life here in the US as a certified Biotechnologist and became pregnant with my younger one. At that time since I was in biotechnology, I was able to work a different shift than my husband. But the long hours and and different work hours got to me and quit that line of work and stayed home for next 2 years. In this time took some evening classes in programming languages and switched my fields from biotechnology to IT but dealing with health care and environment (some what similar) as a VB/.net developer. The transition was very easy for me but I had to be persistent with the job search and not give up after initial road blocks.

Continued in the development side for six years but also took long breaks between projects / contracts. Always because of kids priorities coming before my career.

Now my current avatar since last four years is as an SQA/ QA professional for which transitioning was a piece of cake.

Here in the US the prospective employers are very open minded when you say that you have taken time off from work to be there for your family.

And QA testing is not a lighter job. Any job (critical/non critical) depends on the person doing it. I have found bugs in programs developed by geniuses in the field at my work:p

You can resume work OR start a new career any time you want to but you will never get back your kids baby years.

Your same dilemma is discussed in the thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/working-women/5592-what-software-skills-demand-now.html

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  7. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Thank you very much for quick & valuable response.I feel very relieved now.I will go with your sugession ,decided to take break.Thanks girls.

Cheers:2thumbsup:
    Suma

8. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi suma

good decision.was about to recommend that too.
    all the best suma.hope you have a great time bonding with your little one.and take care.

cheers

9. priyadarshini07

priyadarshini07 New IL'ite

HI Suma,

Hopefully my response will make you feel better.
    Hi ... i am the mother of a 3 year old and a working mom too. i work in an FMCG co in the middle mnagement and have rather long hours 9am-8pm.
    believe me i have had some very similiar thoughts when my little one was about 7 - 8 months old...
    it was a tough decision then... but looking back, i did what my heart told me to. i did not want to lose my life & my space professionally. i was sure i could manage both... and yes something told me that somehwere i cud manage.
    i have a fulltime maid now.. thru whom i manage....

i must say that it is n't too easy... even today when he is sick or when there is new maid... i am tense & worried ... i do take an off & run back to be with him.
    thankfully in India, we also have extended families somewhere nearby when i can ask for such favours at times.

i think you shud do what you feel like. Do not try rationalising anything.... just do what you are most comfortable with.
    if tomorrow you are okay to going back to work & you can prove yourself, nothing can stop you from getting back to your profession. take care & all the best.
    PP

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007