1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confused about cookign Oatmeal Cereal

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by PeeVee, Feb 1, 2010.

1. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Started DS on oatmeal cereal..I am using Gerber single grain oatmeal cereal for infants..the directions in the box says to mix the cereal with formula and microwave it for 15-30 secs..but i am consfused as the formula says not to microwave it..last day i added very little water to the cereal, cooked it for 15-30 secs and then added formula..other than microwave cooking, can i just mix hot boiled water with cereal? how do you all prepare the cereal for your babies?

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Peevee,

I add one tbsp oats and some water and then add milk sans sugar. Formula doesn't heat evenly in the microwave. So best is to prepare the formula and add at last.

3. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

thanks lee..do you bring the oats to boil before you add the milk? i tried it that wat yday..it seems DS doesnt like oats..he keeps on crying..so i stopped forcing him..i am not giving ragi now..i was replacing ragi with this oats..

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Yes boil oats a bit, don't need to overcook and then add milk after taking it from the gas stove. DD is left with no much option she is ok with oats though.
    Have you checked the vidanga? It will promote good appetitie.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

PeeVee, the regular oatmeal you get at stores (Quaker etc) needs to be cooked - however the oatmeal baby cereal (Gerber) can just be mixed with water/milk/formula. I just mix with boiled water and add cooked mashed fruit to it. The reason they say not to mw formula is to probably avoid hot spots and scalding baby's tongue.

6. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Lee,
    I couldnt find it here. I will be coming to India in march and I think I can buy it from there..Are you a keralite? Can you get it in ayurvedic stores there?

Pavarun,

Thanks lot. That information really helps. I tried adding pear yday..DS still doesnt like it..should try changing the time and fruit flavour..

7. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Peevee,

I am not a Keralite but look like one. I am from Mangalore. Are you a Keralite? Vidanga is available in Bangalore so I am sure you will get it when you are in India. Here's a note on Vidanga - Benefits of Vidanga Powder

I have been drinking vidanga water right after my delivery and all used it for baby in the formula. I really find it Godsent.

8. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Dear peevee, sorry for barging this thread..

Lee, thanks for the link of VIDANGA.. Iam giving BONISSAN (Himalayan product ) to my one year old as suggested by my pediatrician . Any idea is the composition of the both are same? Shall i stop bonissan and give vidanga ?

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Brindaa,

You can stop Bonisaan and give Vidanga only. Since your baby is on semi solids it will be very useful to you even till about three years.
    You can take two litres water and boil 5 seeds of vidanga and give your baby that water even you can drink. You can cook all the meals for your kid with Vidanga water. Sooner or later you will not need the paed.
    Your baby is very chweeeeeeet. Convey my kiss to her.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Thanks Lee..Should check when I go home..I am a tamilian basically..but born and brought up in kerala..

brindaaaaaa...No problem at all..