1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confessions Of A Diehard Procrastinator

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Nov 10, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Procrastination is an art to be cultivated and perfected over a lifetime… Yours truly has graduated in it and is in the process of taking a Masters, at this point in time. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today, my grandfather used to always advise me.
    And I … I can never do today what can be postponed for tomorrow…or the day after …or the one after that! Appa (my father in law) and Amma (MIL) normally packed their suitcases on the 2nd of the month, if they were supposed to travel on the 15th. I, normally, throw all my things in on 14th night…. or on 15th morning mostly, if the flight is in the evening. Not for me the calm and organized existence. I always love the excitement of uncertainty in my life( that’s what we professional procrastinators always say)!
    Every year I tell myself that it is time to change and become more systematic and organized. Easier said than done. All these years I have had the excuse that the demands of my work were the impediments to a more organized existence. Now that I am a full time homemaker, I thought things would change… Nah!
    Well… I do plan things. I am great at planning things…. In fact, I make very elaborate plans…. Like I did for last year’s Diwali. Normally, I keep all my plans to myself so that only I know how many of them got shelved or abandoned. Last year I was rash enough to share my plans with Puja, my neighbour, when she asked me what I was planning to do for the festival. Pompously I told her, ‘Everything! I have plenty of time this year, since I am not working. What about you?’ She has a kid in kindergarten and a year old toddler. She said she wasn’t sure… with the two kids it would be difficult… Maybe something simple, she said. This had been in the first week of October.
    The second week of October had seen a sea change in my life. I had opened my own blogspace …and I was busy writing and publishing my random thoughts. I knew I had a lot of shopping to do. As usual I indulged in procrastinating! Tomorrow…, I kept telling myself.

Third week of October: Aaaah! I should have got round to buying things – ingredients for preparing the sweets and savouries… And gifts for friends and relatives… ‘I’ll do it tomorrow,’ each day I had told myself, knowing full well that tomorrow never comes!

14th of October: Puja came to borrow my chakli mould… She had already made two sweets. She asked me how far I had reached. I smiled mysteriously and shaking my head, said ‘ That’s going to be a surprise!’
    ‘I’ll return this in a day or two,’ she said. ‘Take your time.’ I said. What I meant was give it after Diwali…that way I have a good excuse for not using it!

17th October : Something triggered the panic button inside me. Was it Puja returning my chakli mould after finishing with it? Was it my husband who asked me if I had done the shopping, as soon as he returned from work? Was it my niggling conscience….or was it my ego that was all set to fall flat on its face in front of my systematic neighbour with two kids who was steadily doing everything well in time for the festival?

I realized I could not postpone action anymore. A kind friend agreed to accompany me to wherever I had to go… I returned home lugging packets and packets of stuff… It was time for the actual action… as usual in the eleventh hour!

18th October: if I didn’t start that day…. I’d probably have celebrated Diwali after Diwali! So I refrained from glancing at my PC or at the TV. I decided to use some extra elbow grease that day.
    All these happened at diwali2006… This year, it was worse… The latest episode, dear friends, is a totally different story altogether! Soon to be blogged!

</SPAN>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear twinsmom,

Your confessions were too too funny to let go.. Releasing it along with your debacles post, it is a double whammy for me! You excelled yourself!
    Thanks for the laughs....I enjoyed it. You are too good, simply good!

L, Kamla

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Welcome back. You have come with a bang. OMG you sound similar. I too kept postponing till the last moment, though I had lots of plans to make lots of sweets and savouries, I ended up making just one sweet and one savoury.

And yes about the packing stuff, I too do the packing at the last moment inspite of my parents pack things well back.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Well, it seems that the world has people like me, who postpond things for tomorrow. I ws to go to get my saree from the dry cleaners, postponed it to Monday. Just lazed out the whole day, watching movies like Penguin, A love story. When I saw the movie schedule, I just could not resist myself. I have some stitching to finish and also clothes are to be folded, kitchen to be rearranged, the list goes on. Tomorrow, if tomorrow comes.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi TM,
    Back with a bang. Though funny...and really enjoyable..it brought to highlight that veda is a procrastinator... I am like your In-Laws...have to pack 10 days before...veda the last day..If i have to maximum i postpone it to the next day if i dont feel so well.

I feel, if i laze, i cannot tell my kids to do things with out postponing..

But between me and veda, we feel if both of were the same way it would not have worked....imagining it..and my head goes :spin:spin

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

what you had written is 99% true, in my case, that too i will procrastinate till the day before! that is the reason for not getting 100%

sriniketan

7. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear twinsmom, I too confess that i am a diehard procrastinator. I also postpone everything to the maximum possible extent and if cannot postpone it any further then i do it. But the tension of having not done the job always stays till the work is complete. Some how the work is complete at the right time. But i always feel that had i given my time i would have done it far more better. keeping the work till the last day reduces the performance as sri has mentioned.

8. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom,

I really missed your write ups.welcome back.

I also belong to this category.The 11th hour worker.
    It was too good to read.