Condos or HDB??

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by radhika_sv, Oct 6, 2014.

1. radhika_sv

radhika_sv Junior IL'ite

Hi all,

I am looking for apt for our small family of 3 in Singapore. My Hubby's work place would be in Raffles Place, so looking somewhere near it(may be 20- 30 min travel).

I don't have much knowledge of rentals in SG. Also would like to know whats the difference between Condos n HDB? Which one is cheaper and best.

As we have small kid, savings is a must for us.
    Can anyone help me out in this?

Thanks

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Radhika,

Welcome to SG forum :)

The basic difference between HDB and Condo is that HDB is gov owned and condo is private. That is to say anyone can buy a condo, but only Singaporeans and permanent residents alone can buy HDBs.

As far as renting is concerned, it is the same, i.e., no bar for anyone.

For rental with saving in mind, it is better to go for HDBs as condos are expensive owing to the fact that they come with private pools, gyms, shopping complexes etc. HDB on the other hand do not these facilities, but are real comfortable places to live in. More than 80% of Singaporeans and PRs live in HBDs. They are good accommodations, properly connected and have all the necessary amenities close by.

Check out propertyguru, flatsdb and other property websites for rental info.

Hope this helps. Best Wishes!