Conceiving with one tube

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by pray2god, Jan 28, 2009.

1. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

IUI Info needed- 1 Tube blocked

Hi Girls,

As some of you know, I have been TTC for the last 13 months with no success. I have regular cycles and ovulate every month. My DH's S/A was perfectly normal. However, it was a mystery why I didnt get pregnant. I did HSG last month and my left tube shows as blocked. All my other hormone levels are perfectly normal.

My RE was still optimistic and said there is one normal tube to work with and it should not be a problem and he decided to start me on a Clomid+IUI cycle.

I was on 50mg clomid this cycle from days 3-7 and when I went in for my U/S today I was told I have 3 dominant follicles(17mm, 24mm and 30mm- which looked like it was almost going to pop), However my bad luck it was the side which was Blocked. So the nurse said it was upto us whether we do IUI or not. But DH and I decided to try it as the HSG said possibly blocked and we want to try our luck even though I dont have much hope.

What I am concerned is what if next month also I ovulate on the blocked side and I dont have dominant follicles on the unblocked side... Is it possible to keep ovulating only on what side irrespective of what medications we take.. My nurse says the dosage is perfect as 3-5 follicles is what they expect from any medications...My lining was perfect too...

We plan to see the rersponse for 2 cycles and thenn discuss further steps with our RE(which means we are left with only IVF option?)

Any inputs? Thanks

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Re: IUI Info needed- 1 Tube blocked

First of all it is really great news that you could produce 3 good size follicles on 50mg clomid ... congrats! And then your husband's sperm analysis is good too ... awesome!

Your body generally tends to switch sides each month i.e. ovulates on alternate sides each month. so please do try IUI 5-6 times before moving on to IVF.

Also if you can, do consult an accupuncturist who specializes in infertility. they have a good track record of "unblocking" tubes.

good luck! I feel very optimistic about your pregnancy chances :)

cheers,

pooja

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pray2god,
    I too have one fallopian tube block! But mine is right side!

As far as i know & as far as i have heard from my gynec, Women ovulate in alternate sides in adjacent months. For example, if one could see ovulation in left side this month, next month you can see right side ovum to ovulate.

It will be good if you try IUI the next month when you see mature follicles in right side! Its only my suggestion.

Don't loose hope & be confident. GOD bless you!

4. aneesbasha

aneesbasha Senior IL'ite

Hi pray2god,
    For me also Dr said one block is fully blocked & another one is partially blocked. So I underwent laproscopic last yr Jan and Dr specified blocks are cleared and change to conceive is little more, then I was on Clomid, Ovucare for 6 months. My Dr suggested to undergo IUI after 6months. But still im waiting for normal only, another Dr suggest me to reduce my weight as well. So i'm trying to reduce my weight and trying for the normal.

Vasumathy,
    I've a small doubt regarding block in fallopian tube. For 2nd opinion, I consulted another Dr in chennai, after looking at my reports she told that the passage in the tube is too thin. For you also one tube is blocked, did you underwent some laproscopic or some other treatment to clear the block?
    What is HSG? I didnt under some of the medical terms.
    Sorry for asking many question.

5. pray2god

pray2god Senior IL'ite

Pmahensa,

THeoretically it should be every alternate month. But the doctor says not necessarily. The nurse says any medications (be it clomid/injectibles), can only increase the number of follicles one produces but they cant control which side they want to control.. Is that true?

Apparently I have read that some people produce follicles on both side..Will injectibles help ?

6. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pray2God,
    One suggestion - have you just "observed" your ovulation pattern for 2 consecutive cycles? Will that help?

Typically women ovulate on alternate sides each month. So I am also very positive about your situation !

All the best dear!

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Yep, meds cannot control which side you will ovulate on! And it is possible to produce follicles on both sides. It hapened to me once, I had 2 on the left and one on the right side. But I think it is more common to ovulate just on one side.

With the production of 2-3 follicles on 50mgs of clomid, I don't see the necessity of moving to injectibles unless there is concern about the quality of eggs. Generally docs use injectibles only when there is poor follicular development on dosages of 150mgs of clomid and above (as was the case with me).

8. Vasumathy

Hi Pray2god,

When i am on medication(Clomid), i produced eggs in both sides. When monitoring my follicular study for months, i could see it alternate between sides in each month! This is my personal experience that women produce mature eggs in alternate sides. My gynec stopped my first month of treatment in half due to growth of mature follicle in blocked side! She doesn't want to proceed in that cycle! So i was waiting for the next cycle to begin!

9. Vasumathy

Hi aneesbasha,
    No issues with asking question! You can continue!
    I need to go for the treatment to unblock my fallopian tube. I will go for it after some months.
    Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is used to find tube block & other stuffs. You can see the attachment for more details or google it!

All the best for your attempt to reduce wait & TTC.

Attached Files:

• hsg.pdf
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  10. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Dear aneesbasha,

Vasumathy's HSG related pdf gives a good idea about the whole HSG process.

Generally HSG is used to find out the presence of blockages in fallopian tubes,Hydro salphinx in fallopian tubes,shape of the uterus,uterine fibroids etc.

It is mandatory for each and every women who are trying to conceive.This test will rule out all the possiblities of a problem and it is a good practice to correct the abnormalities before we move on with our IVF or natural process of conception.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!