Conceiving with clomid

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Sumaticg, Jun 12, 2007.

1. prekapal

prekapal New IL'ite

i am taking fertyl on the advise of my gyn. is it same as clomid? what are the sideeffets of taking these medicines.

2. mjsaroj

mjsaroj Senior IL'ite

I am new to this IL , i am having one son age 3 1/2 years old, Now we are trying to have second child for past one year , For past 7 to 8 months i am having irregular periods ie., only after having tablets from doctor (DUPHASTON) FOR 5 DAYS I AM GETTING MY PERIOD.They took all test and said no prblem with me and my hubby also.
    When i ask doctor that i am trying to conceive so she prescribed me CLOMID 50mg asked to took the tablet on the second day of period for five days.
    Is any body taking this tablet and get conceived i want to know ,Please tell me

3. queenathome

queenathome New IL'ite

Hi Friends

I've taken clomid and fertomid (generic) a few times. Main side affect for me was horrible hot flashes..
    I think that the start day sumthing to do with more eggs as opposed to bigger eggs..

CHeers

4. mjsaroj

mjsaroj Senior IL'ite

Re: Clomid and Pregnancy

Ya you are correct for me same procedure followed my gyno doctor, Then she prescribed me clomid 50 mg tablet

5. masha

masha New IL'ite

Clomid

I am mom of 2 year old daughter.I am trying to conceive now but my periods are irregular.I visited a Gynaec and she took the thyroid and few tests and said that probably I am not ovulating .Also she suggested me to go for clomid.

I have few questions on that.

1.Does the thyroid test vary on different times,she said you don't have to take the test for a year.

2.She also told me that there is a chance of twins with clomid.So i just want to about that.Since I already have one ,i am afraid of twins with the clomid.

Let me know..

Thanks

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Clomid

Hi Masha,
    Clomid helps in developing more dominant follicles. So there are chances to end up with more than one dominant follicle. But it will help to get follicles for ur case. Don't worry. Nothing is in ur hand!!! Whatever is in store for u will come to u!!! All the best!!

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Clomid

Hi Masha,
    Welcome to IL! To answer your questions:

Thyroid hormone levels dont vary significantly over a 24 hour period if that's your doubt. If found to be normal usually repeat testing is not advised for atleast 6 mnths/1 year unless you develop new symptoms in that period. This is because its rare for thyroid hormone levels to decrease suddenly - its usually a gradual process taking years, so its very unlikely that you would test normal for it and then suddenly develop a problem.

Clomid (clomiphene) increases the chance of more than one ovum/egg being released during ovulation, so if multiple ova are released and they get fertilized then your chances of multiples (not just twins - triplets etc.) increase. But this is a risk inherent in any treatment for infertility and you have to decide whether to take the chance or not.

Vanathi.

8. harumi

harumi New IL'ite

light and short periods on clomid

hi frnds:hiya

i m on clomid(50mg) from last 6 months...let me explain you whole history..
    I had miscarriage 2 n 1/2 year ago... after that whenever i went to India my periods got delayed because of climate change or excertion (as doctors said but i really dont know the exact resaon)..so doctors put me on clomid for regular periods n for conceiving but hard luck till now....
    though my periods become regular but it last for 2-3 days only and very light periods(less bleeding) some time start with brown discharge...
    any one who is on CLOMID can clarify my doubts:idea
    ~is light or short periods side effect of clomid ??
    ~is brown discharge (before actual periods) normal with clomid??
    ~for how much cycles we can take clomid?? i have taken it for 6 months..should i continue it for 7 month or not(as i have read that clomid should not be used more than 6 months) but my doctor suggested me to take clomid...but i m confused:hide: whether i should take it not??
    so plz clarify my confusion regarding clomid...whatever u know about clomid plz share...
    waiting for reply:rotfl

cheers
    harumi:)

9. crossiants

crossiants Senior IL'ite

Re: light and short periods on clomid

hi harumi,
    i was on clomid 50mg for fertility,i took one cycle,that is 2clomids once a day and i conceived within once cycle,i got twins my my pregnancy ended at 22weeks and i got preterm baby girls which died.than agin i was not getting pregnant after my 1st daughter,i took two cycles of clomid with injections(i dont know the name)and again i became pregnant and got second baby girl.that is the only thing i have used clomid for,but i know it is a fertility drug.if u have any doubts check with your dr,or u can take second opinion also.no hassles its matter of your satisfaction.all the best dont worry,god is always there to help all of us.

10. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: light and short periods on clomid

Hi Harumi,

In some women, TTC takes time.... Relax yourself!
    Clomid will help in producing many follicle, helps in growth of follicle. I am not sure whether clomid will help in regularizing periods!

I am not sure clomid is the reason for light & short periods... Brown discharge prior to periods will be there with few women. I used to have it from long back.

I took clomid for 3-4 cycle & stopped it since i quit the treatments earlier. But not sure about the duration for its consumption. But heard ppl recommend it to take only for 6 months.

If you have doubt on your gynec's decision, discuss with her on your doubts! If the answer is not either clear or its not clearing your doubts fully, go for second opinion! This will help you!