Computer Learning For Seniors

Discussion in 'Places & Events' started by Ranchu, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My parents would like to learn basic computer and technology process for their use.
    - how to manage storage in icloud
    - how to keep their accounts secure

Are there any courses available for seniors offered?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Udemy and similar portals offer computer literacy courses for senior citizens. These courses are canned, so will include topics the senior is not interested in. The lack of real time help can be a serious limitation for seniors.

A better option is to connect a teenager with the senior citizen. If the teenager is local and can make some home visits, all the better.

There are volunteer organizations that train teens and then the teens go to retirement communities and offer computer literacy lessons to the residents. Some teens also start such a venture themselves, often in high school to gather community service hours or to generate interesting material for college application essays.

I found one such venture started by an enterprising fourteen year old, Tanvi Arvind.

A 14 year old 9th grader at Sishya School in Chennai, Tanvi Arvind is Founder & CEO of TechEdEn, a service business to Educate and Enable Technology for the 'tech-challenged'.
    About
    Services
    14-YO Conducts Online Classes To Help Senior Citizens Become Tech-Savvy

This video made my day. Less than a minute long but filled with a lovely connection between the girl and the older woman. I so loved the pastel pink (or is it peach/salmon pink?) crisp saree Manjula (Aunty) is wearing. The endearingly simple questions Manjula asks and how confidently and clearly Tanvi answers. My favorite'st part was when Manjula beams after she completes saying the message about the flat documents. : )

Added later:
    teacheron.com has India based tutors at reasonable rates. My friends have used them for AP courses in the U.S. as the $15-$25 per hour rate is attractive and makes it OK for the busy high-schooler to miss classes once in a while. Looks they have computer literacy tutors and also Chennai based ones:

▶ Computer basic and advanced home tutors in Chennai - TeacherOn

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Hopikrishnan and Mistt like this.