1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Composting

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by AkilaMani, May 4, 2016.

1. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,

I have recently started composting. The reason I started is not to get compost for my plants although it would be great to get compost. I live in an apartment and have a very small space to keep some flowerpots.

The main reason was to reduce the amount of garbage I am throwing out. I have been sincere with separating and recycling anything that is recyclable in my trash for a very long time, but with kitchen waste I have been throwing them out until now and feeling bad about it. Recently I came across some blogs and videos on composting in small spaces and that gave me the idea to start it. I have kept a compost bin along with my flowerpots and I am glad that it does not smell. That was my main worry, that it would smell and attract flies and insects, but it does not. So happy about it :)

Do any of you compost? if so, please share your experience and thoughts here :)

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Hi Akila,

I also live in an apt and would like to start composting.Could you please let me know the kind of bins you got,the kind of material you put into your bin for composting and other details.

My apt doesn't allow to segregate recyclables and non recyclables and i don't want to promote anaerobic decomposition

AkilaMani likes this.
  3. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

Hi Akila Mam,

We too live in apartment while we hardly get any sunshine...
    but when I was a child, my grand father used to compost.
    We had so many creepers and plants....
    Tindora, bottle guard, paan leaf, papaya, pomegranate, jasmine, tomato, curry leaf,....oho so many the list goes on...I really miss those days...

Your post reminds me of the garden we had ..Really miss them now and miss my grand father too....
    Just thought of sharing..

There is a sayings which my grand father used to say " One who plants flowers plants happiness"

Happy gardening !!

Regards
    Jaya

radv and AkilaMani like this.
  4. jssd

jssd Bronze IL'ite

Hi akila, please share details and links... it will be very helpful.
    J

AkilaMani likes this.
  5. AkilaMani

Hi JGVR,

I used regular 2 plastic buckets that we use in the bathrooms for composting. One smaller than the other. I placed the smaller one at the bottom and the larger one on top. I have drilled holes in the bottom of both the buckets and also holes on the sides of the larger bucket. It is usually advised to keep a tight lid, but I did not have one, so I am just using an old cloth on top to cover it. Surprisingly, it works well. No flies or smell whatsoever.

Since I have kept the compost bin outside in the corridor, I have drilled holes in the bottom of the bottom bucket as well to drain it. If you are keeping it inside, either keep a tray to drain it or do not put holes in the bottom bucket and just empty it into the sink every other day.

Now for the main thing, composting, we need wet and dry items, wet items are our kitchen waste and dry are dry leaves, cardboard, newspaper etc. I placed shredded at the bottom of the top bucket, put the kitchen waste, then added newspaper on top. Also I put a bit of potting soil that I had on top of it. I kept adding kitchen waste everyday, mixed it with a stick and again covered it with newspaper and soil.

Its been nearly two weeks and there is absolutely no smell or files (I was afraid it was going to stink). Now the bucket is almost full and I can see that what I had put last week is almost decomposed. I just have to leave the bin alone for a week or two, just mixing it once in a while to get air into it to hasten the decomposition process.

I am going to start another bigger bin (buckets) and this time I am going to keep it indoor (in my kitchen). I will take pics and upload them in a day or two.

It is sad that your apartment doesn't have a system to separate out recyclable items :-( If they are not separated, they endup in landfills :(

My best wishes for starting composting :) do let me know of the progress :)

jssd likes this.
  6. AkilaMani

Hi Jaya,

So true "one who plants flowers plants happiness" :)

You had a blessed childhood dear with a grandpa to show you the wonders of gardening!

I have had potted plants for a while, but I am not really a gardener and know nothing about it. I just water the plants and change soil once a year and they seem to grow ok. I am going to try my hand in it this year, lets see how it goes. Today I harvested my first crop :) methi leaves :) I planted them last week and got a pot full of methi leaves... going to make methi paratha tonight :)

dasikajl and radv like this.
  7. AkilaMani

Hi JSSD,

I have posted the details in a reply above. For links, you can try Vani Murthy on youtube and there are many more who have videos on how to start composting in small spaces / apartments. I have not followed any particular one, just got ideas from them and did what I could with the things I had :)

jssd and radv like this.
  8. dasikajl

dasikajl Gold IL'ite

Wow...methi parata:yum::yum:

AkilaMani likes this.
  9. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Hi Akila,

Thanks for your response on composting.

I have a question about dry leaves-don't mistake me if i sound silly.

Can i get some green leaves,dry them in the sun and use it or does the leaves need to be brown in colour?This is spring and i could hardly find any brown leaves.

10. jssd

jssd Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your very clear explanation akila... kudos on your mission... and methi pirates. .. yumm yumm. ..

I live in an apartment too.. have a small balcony garden... would love to make my own compost... and your method seems very simple, cost effective and pocket friendly tooo.....

Thanks once again.

Best wishes
    J

AkilaMani likes this.