1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Composting bin from Matka

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by vaishusharma, Jul 9, 2014.

1. vaishusharma

vaishusharma Senior IL'ite

Found the following steps to setup a compost bin with an earthan pot (Matka):

(1) Take an earthern matka of large size with 6-8 holes along the central periphery and a drainage hole at the bottom.
    (2) Place an earthen saucer beneath the above matka or pot of an appropriate size to catch the draining liquid.
    (3) Above the earthen matka or pot you can place a small pot which fits into the matka's mouth and grow a plant or herb in it. The picture above has an Alor vera plant growing in the pot above the composting matka.
    (4) Now that the above three steps takes care of the "hardware" lets start with the actual composting process by first putting a layer of shredded paper, wood shavings or dried leaves into the composting matka.
    (5) Now simply keep adding the green kitchen waste to the composting matka. You can add vegetable peels, fruit peels, used tea leaves, coffee grounds etc. No plastic please!
    (6) As the composting matka starts to fill up give it a good stir or shake to aerate it. You can do this every 3-4 days to speed up the aerobic composting process underway in your matka.
    (7) In case the composting mixture is found to be dry add a little water or if too wet add a little of saw dust or shredded paper. Leave the mixture to cure for a month. In 30 days time you will have your organic manure ready!

Am planning to set this up this weekend..
    Would let you know how this turns up..

2. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

seems very useful for gardening.thanx for sharing

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Yes, I make my own compost. I don't throw away any organic material. To keep the odor controlled you have to stir it often.

5. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I find plants grow better and flower better when I add organic waste to it. I fill the pot with 1/3 organic waste when planting and then once a week a add some organic kitchen waste to it. mostly veg peels.

6. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Good idea .but the smell!!!!let me try and stir often.
    one more doubt abt holes is it the lower bottom of the pot or at middle circumference of the pot. I couldnot under stand

7. vaishusharma

vaishusharma Senior IL'ite

Keep adding newspapers to soak the extra water. This will avoid the smell. Also need to keep stirring often.

The holes should be at the lower bottom as well as the middle circumference. These are basically to let air pass through.