1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Communication gaps!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You will be amazed to read this. About 87% of all the misunderstandings in the world are due to a communication gap. Communication gap is reported to be the cause of a whopping 93% of problems between a husband and wife! It is no wonder, therefore, that more and more people have started attending classes on developing communication skills. I won’t be surprised if the teachers of effective communication outnumbered their counterparts in other areas of specialization.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Talking of communication problem being the culprit of souring up of relations between couples, I must tell you an anecdote I read somewhere.
    A judge was interviewing a woman regarding her pending divorce, and asked, "What are the grounds for your divorce?"
    She replied, "About four acres and a nice little home in the middle of the property with a stream running by."
    "No," he said, "I mean what is the foundation of this case?"
    "It is made of concrete, brick and mortar," she responded.
    "I mean," he continued, "What are your relations like?"
    "I have an aunt and uncle living here in town, and so do my husband's parents."
    He said, "Do you have a real grudge?"
    "No," she replied, "We have a two-car carport and have never really needed one."
    "Please," he tried again, "Is there any infidelity in your marriage?"
    "Yes, both my son and daughter have stereo sets. We don't necessarily like the music, but the answer to your questions is yes."
    "Ma'am, does your husband ever beat you up?"
    "Yes," she responded, "about twice a week he gets up earlier than I do."
    Finally, in frustration, the judge asked, "Lady, why do you want a divorce?"
    "Oh, I don't want a divorce," she replied. "I've never wanted a divorce. My husband does. He said he can't communicate with me."

We see from this anecdote a breach of all the three golden principles of effective communication:
    • You must make your message understood
    • You must receive/understand the intended message sent to you
    • You should exercise some control over the flow of communication
    A communication gap occurs when there is a failure of any one or all of the above principles. Yet another problem in communication is when we have to cope with words with which we are not familiar. It may not land us in a serious problem but on occasions like the following, it can.

<o:p></o:p>

This guy goes into a restaurant and looks over the menu. After a few minutes, the waitress comes to the table and asks the guy what he'd like. The guy says, "I'd like a quickie". The waitress flushes and says, "That's not funny, sir. Now, what would you like to order?" The guy says, "I'd really like a quickie". The waitress slaps him hard and storms off angrily.
    Another customer, overhearing the conversation, leans over and says to the guy, "Um, I think that it's pronounced 'quiche'!"

Well, it is not my intention to write an essay here on Communication skills with lavish illustrations. To tell you the truth, my poor communication skills have landed me in more spots than there are on the face of the sun. But I do manage to stay afloat because my circle of friends have developed a skill to descramble whatever I say and make sense out of it! I do feel that I am a monumental example of Whittington’s First Law of Communication:
    “When a writer prepares a manuscript on a subject that he does not understand, his work will be understood only by readers who know more about that subject than he does”!

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

To tell you the truth, my poor communication skills have landed me in more spots than there are on the face of the sun. - Nobody in IL will agree to this... It might be because the people who cant understand/digest the sense of humour attached to that....

I do feel that I am a monumental example of Whittington’s First Law of Communication: “When a writer prepares a manuscript on a subject that he does not understand, his work will be understood only by readers who know more about that subject than he does”! - Though I am happy when you say, that I know more about the subject.... whenever I reply to your threads... (Here I specifically mention only about me....)... I know for sure, neither I know too much about the subject nor too good in communicating... see, I am searching for words...

But I enjoyed both your jokes.... Great.... May be this sense of humour might have put you into problems... hahahahaha.....

On a lighter note, I can understand.... You need not have to worry, you are undisputedly a great writer in the IL.....

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sri,

What to say a very needed topic of the present day...

Communication plays a vital role in all relationships...whether it is a child and parent, teacher and student, husband and wife...even neighbours..

I know a couple, the husband goes to the office, the wife is sleeping when he leaves, comes home for lunch, he eats whatever is made, then just watches tv then goes back to the office..evening, he will take his tea, sit in front of the tv...the maximum he speaks in the house is 10 words..to compensate, the wife used to be a regular visitor to all the neighbours..and turned into a vicious gossiper....

we don't stop to analyse that just a few words would bridge the gap and erase great problems and nourish a sour relationship into a sweet one....

come on sri, the moment your friends are able to unscramble your ideas/writings, it is a sure indication of your communication skills....

4. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    Thanks a lot for your appreciative words. You have understood that, by writing this blog, I was just fishing for compliments and you have obliged! Thanks again buddy!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Shanthi
    There was a time when silence was considered golden. Even before that, when man was communicating through smoke signals and body signs, his communication skill was near perfect. As we evolved and discovered a language to communicate, the problem started. Ironically, the more words get added to our lingo, the greater is the communication gap!
    Brevity may be the soul of wit but it is no longer considered a strength. The longer and more ambiguous is your communication, the greater is the respect that you command! And when others start analysing your statements in order to unravel the true meaning of it, you acquire a leader stature !

6. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Somewhere I heard the first language came into existance not for communication, but for hiding things from each other.... they started various words as a code to represent items, which later became a language... I dont know how far it is true...

But in todays world communication and expressing oneself is highly important.... Otherwise it is difficult to understand each other... In most of the family disputes.... the reason is non communication and expecting to understand.... The very common thing with DW is, I thought you understood.... Why cant they tell in simple words.... Nonononononono...

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The tamil saying
    Kanji vardappa, engae varadappa?
    is a typical, jovial example of communication gap.
    But, I also note that quite some "act" as if there is a communication gap, to suit their convenience.
    Less said about the C G between spouses, the better ! Ofcourse, I don't dany that I too turn it to my advantage (quite often?) by saying, "I never thought you meant it seriously or in that sense etc...."
    Well, Sri, "quickie" was a naughty example !tsk
    But, it is hard to believe that your communication skills are poor. You paint "rainbows" with humour & wit in your posts ! So, I think, you are trying to be modest !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sri

fishing for compliments?
    enjoyed the two episodes
    pazhaya suvatrukku thaane
    `irandu' pothum vilambaram
    ingu irandenna irandaayirame
    sirithi sirithu
    vayiri kulungi
    sirikka
    sinthanai sithari
    sirikka..
    ahaha

sathya

9. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    You seem to have a point there considering that Adam and Eve were the first ever to feel the need to communicate. It's of course a great mystery what they would have had to hide from each other considering that they were the only two inhabitants of the planet!
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    I was only trying to put my own communication skills to some measure of test through this blog and I think I have succeeded in it seeing that I have made you say that I was only trying to be modest!
    Sri