1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

comedy of hospital errors

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by lakshmi1945, Jun 21, 2009.

1. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

I have heard and seen many a time surgeons oprating on a normal limb instead of diseased limb and negligent dentists removing a normal tooth instead of a carious tooth. Most of us would not have forgotten the famous actress Sridevi's mother having been operated on the wrong side of skull for a brain tumor by a neurosurgeon of USA.
    Here is a latest case of hospital negligence where a corpse has been handed over to wrong relatives.To top it the relatives too had performed the last rites and consigned it to flames.Now the true relatives of the dead are refusing to accept any other body. Meanwhile the ones who had accepted by mistake a corpse were back again and carried the right corpse.

Hospital has erred in handing over the corpse to its rightful ownwers. But it is turning the table on the relatives for wrongly identifying the body. Pity the corpse! இறந்தும் நிம்மதி இல்லை.(Peace has elluded him even in death).For more on this Read on.
    Burn victim's family, JIPMER slug it out over body mix-up - Chennai - Cities - The Times of India
    Lakshmi

2. gopalan1937

gopalan1937 Silver IL'ite

Ms Lakshmi,
    I would rather call this a "Tragedy of Hospital Errors". I remember a similar incident happening at Govt General Hospital, Chennai about a year back. But, fortunately , then the body was retrieved before it could be consigned to flames in the crematorium.
    Gopalan

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,
    I have also read the appalling news.Such blunders do happen and I suppose we can forgive the mistake in the case of the dead bodies.Imagin the shock of the people when the person who was declared dead woke up and there was panic thinking that it was a ghost .That is why I always put some cion in hundi before I leave for the hospital.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Yes this is a sad case that u have written off.A family now cremating two bodies, so sad.

But these things do happen sometimes, what to do.

My Dad expired in the operation room when he was being operated upon for the detatchement of the retina, a routine operation, he died of a heart attack during the operation.

Before the operations , reports were taken, and the reports were not good.This doctor, whom dad was keen to get operated by, told us not to worry, whereasw other docs to whom we showed, said Dad's heart is not in the condtion to take the strain of an operation.

We told the Doc, can we at our own expense have a cardiologist in the hospital during the operation, but he refused.And Dad died.

And we fould have complained to the police and have got the doctors arrested, but for that the body would have gone for post morten,so we left it at that, an did nothing.He was hale and hearty otherwise before the operation.

so this has happened in my family too, but at times once the person is gone and the deed done, what can u do ? Just close the chapter.

Regards

kamal

5. gopalan1937

Mr. Kamaljee,

Really feel sad to read your response. Death on the table is a blot on the surgeon and anaesthetist. Except in very high risk cases threatening life or limb, surgery is always done
    on individuals whose physical status can withstand the the anticipated surgery. With improvements in technology, loss of life on the operating table has been brought down to miniscule proportions.
    Gopalan

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear lakshmi,
    I also come across the news. sheer negligence of Hospital authorities. In foreign countries, you can sue them. But here if the concerned person has influence in high level, we can not get any justice. That is "Bharath".To day, I read another news. A person, who met with an accident has been declared " dead" and kept in the mortuary, has come alive and walked out of that place. after two days only he died.
    with love
    pad

7. gopalan1937

Ms Padmini,
    We need patience and perseverance to fight against indifferece ,ignorance, and malpractice committed by medical and paramedical personnel and nursing homes and hospitals who are out to cheat the gullible public.
    Times of India recently provided iron clad proof about a couple of institutions charging exorbitant capitation fees for admissionto to medical colleges. As usual. the authorities are looking into it. Already the official head of medical education has started backtracking.
    Disgusting!!
    Gopalan

8. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear gopalan,
    I also came across that news. but they charged
    the "chota" . how about Jagathratchagan, who swindled crores in his institution?now he is a minister.When he was caught, all the net connections were stopped. When this is the case how can we get justice? From top to bottom all are rowdies. so small persons become scape goats in their play. sorry if I am rude. My blood is boiling.
    with love
    pad

9. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Dr has already became a profession but not serving mission.

I always personally feel that they only keep marks as the criteria for a medical seat but the serving nature should also be considered.

If Dr's consider that as a divine service such errors wont happen.

People are not treated are like human beings.

Ok coming to the comedy part

When i was in 6th std we used to visit our grandparents place in tamilnadu It was a small village.But people are pretty decent there.
    But Dr's are comedians there.Actually they dont have any M.B.B.S degree but they might be worked as componder or something in good hospitals because of which they get some knowledge and have good practice over injecting or providing medicine for fever,stomach ache etc like basic health inability when they return to their hometown they start a dispensary and the whole village calls them Dr.

We all cousins had gone to native I am the eldest and all my cousins are younger to me One of my cousin who was of my age fell sick because of which we took to that Poli(fake) Dr.

That fellow had a french beard and without any shirt and clumsy look and resembled like a scientist.His look brought smile in everyone's face.We were all 6 people gone with my cousin brother to consult him.All my cousins were in 2nd - 4th stds I think it was noon so that fella got up from sleep and came out when we knocked the door.

We informed that he is having fever.This person went inside brought a injection and caught hold of my brother and brought it close to inject.

We all started shouting and also laughing that he is not sick This perosn is sick we all were showing my cousin That perosn was nodding his head but didnt leave my brother. My brother panicked and jumped which made the Dr leave his hand.

Then he gave the injection to my cousin.

The thing is people(Dr) are so careless when treating humans.

10. lakshmi1945

lakshmi1945 Silver IL'ite

Dear prettina
    Thanks for sharing your experience of a fake doctor. It made me laugh. But I want to tell you that there wa a doctor in Hyderabad who was very popular with the patients. he was called Injection doctor. The moment we went to him he would first give us an injection and then listen to our complaint. My son used to dread goint to him. Being a doctor's wife it used to make me jittery also. So whenever we had to go to him I would first say," doctor no injection. We have allergy to many medicines." He was good enough to listen to me.
    Lakshmi