1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Come on my hero my dear sparrow

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Environment covers natural resources,pollution and preserving the balance in the ecosystem.Two Indians on a trip to Germany left some food in their plates in a restaurant and were about to leave.They were fined for wasting food.While they protested that they had paid for the food,they were told that while the money belonged to them,the food resources belonged to the country.This is a classic example of environmental consciousness.
    “”KAKA KAKA KANUKKU MAI KONDUVA
    KURUVI KURUVI KONDAIKU POO KONDUVA
    PASUVE PASUVE PAL KONDUVA
    PACHIKILIYE PAZHAM KONDUVA”
    ‘”please bring kajal my dear crow,bring flowers for my hair bun,my dear sparrow
    Please bring milk my cow,bring ripe fruits for my baby,my parrot
    Babies enjoyed the song while getting fed.A girl sends a message through sparrow””CHITTUKURIVI CHITTU KURUVI SEDHI THERIYUMA ENNAI VITTU PIRINDHU PONA KANAVAN VEEDU THIRUMBALE’”Ä girl sends message through sparrow to her husband who has not returned home.
    A reader laments””COME ON MY HERO-DEAR SPARROW
    DON’T LET MY HEART SINK IN SORROW
    I MISS YOU BUDDY-WHERE ARE YOU
    NOW DON’T TELL ME THAT I VISIT THE ZOO”
    Sparrows have almost vanished,thanks to highrise buildings,extensive application of pesticides etc.The least one can do is to put in place feeders and bird baths supplied by organisations which have come up to save the sparrows.
    KAALAI NERA POONKUYIL
    KAVITHAI PADA THOONDUTHU
    KALAINTHUPOGUM MEGANGAL
    GAVANAMAGA KETKUTHU
    “ THE CUCKOO SINGS IN THE MORNING AND THE DISPERSING CLOUDS LISTEN CAREFULLY””
    This is song on the male cukoo’s mating call in the early hours of the morning.Confused by the noise pollution,late night traffic etc the male starts cooing in the night.The female however keeps her cool and refuses to respond.The result-the cuckoo population is also dwindling.
    MULLAI MALAR MELE MOIKUM VANDU POLE
    ULLAM URAVADUDHENGAL ANBALE’
    “Our hearts respond in unison like the honey bee and the flower while sucking honey””
    An immortal and evergreen melody.The honey bees are disappearing as the worker bees lose their way to their home due to signals from mobile towers in 900-1800 MHZ frequency.It is reported that the electro magnetic variation from the mobile towers affects the nervous system and as a result worker bees lose their direction.
    I was listening to kannadasans song
    Paramasivan kazhuthilirunthu Pampu kettadhu
    Garuda sowkiyama
    Avaravargal irukumidathil irundhu vital ellam sowkiyame
    Garudan sonathu adhil artham ulladhu
    “”the snake adorning Shivas neck asked the eagle-how are you,
    Garudas reply thatpeople who stay in their abode are ok-thereis a tremendous meaning in this.
    My grand daughter who was also listening to the song asked me ‘”what is Garudan thatha?I replied “Ëagle”.E for Eagle querried the little one.I nodded my head.Where do you seeit-she pursued.I looked blank.Eagles have disappeared to warrant the formation of a vulture conservation society.
    The depletion of mangrove forests on the coast line and its devastating effect during the last Tsunami is well documented.Buildings on the river bank against all regulations collapsing like nine pins during the recent Uttarkand floods is difficult to erase from your memory for a long time to come.Poaching of Tigers,man elephant conflict,conservation of the Great Indian Bustard etc are fodder for the media thanks to the selfishness of the human race.
    Walking was a way of life even 3-4 decades back.Today we walk under Doctors advice.The Banyan tree is no longer there to provide shelter to the weary traveller.
    “”Branching so broad and long on the ground
    The bending twigs take root and daughters grow
    About the mother tree-a pillared shade
    High over arched with echoing walk between””
    Pupal tree does not have space-a tree under which Siddarth meditated and considered to be Vishnu in the form of a tree.
    Forest cover is getting denuded and we forget that an acre of forest absorbs six tonnes of Co 2 and puts out four tonnes of Oxygen.
    Simple things we can do to conserve the environment.
    1Plant trees /shrubs wherever we can in the apartments,neighbourhood temples,schools etc.
    2.Birthdays of children should invariably include planting trees/shrubs.
    3.Use organic manures,vermin compost and neem based pesticides in home/community gardens
    3.Incorrect dosage of pesticides will build up insect resistance as in the case of antibiotics in human beings.
    4.Segregation of organic kitchen waste for composting.
    5.using jute bags in the place of polythene bags.
    6.Reducing paper usage and moving towards a paperless society.
    7.Have a Thulsi corner in apartments and enjoy Ozone layer
    8.Plant broad leaf trees as they absorb more CO 2
    9.Avoid too many flowering trees as pollen from the from the flowers can cause allergy as it is happening in Bangalore.
    Let us make it possible to make poet Bharathis dream a reality.
    “”Kani nilam vendum parasakthi kani nilam vendum
    Patthu panirendu thennai maram pakkathile vendum
    Muthu chuddar pole nilavoli munbu varavendum angu
    Katthum kuyilosai sarte vandhu kadhil vizha vendum endran
    Sithtam maghindhidave nangu elam thendran varavendum””
    ‘”A small piece of land with coconut trees around
    Pearl white moon light should appear
    Cuckoos music should fall in my ears
    I should rejoice in the lovely breeze””

The above is an extract of my speech on the topic to the residents of Melur Meadows.I was given this honour in view of being an agricultural graduate with significant achievement in developing a green belt with one lakh fifty thousand trees in the 1200 acre campus of my erstwhile employers and my experiments,experienceand challenges in developing a green belt as a safeguard against pollution.Let ilites contribute their ideas to safeguard the environment and improve the. quality of life.

6 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear LN mama

You brought nostalgic memories of those song and what you have written is 100% true. I dont have words to convey my thoughts and feelings. So let me wait forothers to give their fbs. As always wanted to give the first fb. Everyone first reads the thread then after thinking gives a thoughtful fb but I have no patience to wait , so whatever comes to my mind at that time pour out in the form of fb

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,

Very inspiring speech.
    A time has come when we have to think of nature, plants, trees, birds, oxygen and such things but not doing much about them. We did not think all these when little. Just enjoyed being among the trees, growing up with the trees, enjoying them and birds all along. Stories of birds were embedded in the culture when heard stories from GP. They were a part of our life.
    But not any more. If we want to roam among trees we have to drive or go a long way to be among the nature...not in day to day iife. How we used to enjoy sparrow nests in ventilators and cuckoo singing !!! Even for Shraddhas we used to wait for the crows to come and eat the food. All the Panchatantra stories had many bird characters. Many of Gods' Vahanas were birds. Garuthmantha, swan, peacock etc. Now we live in apartments...gardening is restricted to a few potted plants in the balcony. We have Indira park about one Km from our house. Go there often to be in the middle of greenery. Apaprt from all the echo friendly part it is so rejuvenating to roam in the garden...it is spread over 30 acres, in the middle of city.

Thank you for a good blog, excellent suggestions. Enjoyed the translation of Tamil songs (I do not know Tamil, I am a Telugu person). I am sure everyone in the meadows also gave a thought to what all you wrote. I envy you......you are living in the middle of nature and enjoying.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  4. oaktree12

oaktree12 Bronze IL'ite

Thought provoking post. Thanks for reminding the good old melodies.

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Your communication comes straight from the heart.It is therefore not necessaryto think a lot and structure your FB.Then only you will enjoy what you do.I have seen you growing from taking hesitant baby steps to a confident and committed writer.This is an eloquent testimony to your determination and efforts.My hearty congratulations.
    The songs are immortal as still we remember the lyrics which stole our hearts when we were younger.The world revolved around flowers,honeybees,butterflies,pigeons etc.Days have changed-we survive and prosper at the cost of other species.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Syamala,
    Your concern for the environment comes out emotionally. I have planted thirty Thulsi plants and placed two benches so that seniors can do pranayama and inhale Ozone.Those who were breathless at the slightest effort walk around 3 kms everyday.The lady is seventyfive and when she crosses me she will excitedly show the number of rounds she has completed ,with her fingers.This is what unpolluted atmosphere does to you.Instead of putting the blame on the Government each one of us can contribute in our own humble way to protect the environment.If you see the litter left by mountaineers on the way to Himalayas,you will understand how thoughtless we are.
    Regards

Lakshiminarayanan

2 people like this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Oaktree,
    The name you have assumed is itself environment friendly.In any of the music reality shows.old melodies steal the thunder even today.The practice of worshipping nature like the crow,Garudan monkeys etc is fast disappearing.This is the price we pay for achieving material affluence at the cost of meaningful practices which respected the eco system.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear LN Sir,

What a great list you have provided for environmental protection. I enjoyed all the songs you have quoted as well. We should bring awareness among agriculturists about the dangers of wrong pesticides and to the extent possible they should be encouraged to use natural manures. They have to be educated about how to use natural manures successfully. Crop rotation is an important step in putting back the natural resources we extract out for each crop. There has to be constant education about biochar. I am a big believer that carbon composition in atmosphere is an important element in existence of life. There has to be awareness among people about carbon emission and the impact in creates in the ozone layer. We have to find alternatives for use of plastic and paper in this world and cutting of trees should be regulated like construction of building. Awareness on recycling is essential in every part of the world. Planting Trees and cleaning the environment should be an effort by citizens and not by the government.

In the next 20-25 years, clean energy projects should replace majority of power generation projects and at least 50% of energy production should be from clean energy sources without any emission.

Every city should be developed with as many trees as possible and every soil should be covered with green grass. Every river should be connected to distribute water to every part of the country.

Viswa

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    You have taken pains to list out issues that can be handled by a conducive policy environment and committed execution of the directives.Corruption is a major impediment in enforcing the directives.At an individual level if we can avoid the colossal wastage of food in marriages that will be first step in bringing about consciousness.Birthdays of children should involve planting a sapling in the apartment complex,nearby temple or public park.When a temple renovation was underway they cut down quite a few trees.I watched the whole thing in dismay and talked to the temple authorities.With their permission I developed a small Nandavanam.Today the temple has a well developed garden.Butterflies compete with you for darshan of the Lord.Environment conscious people like us can create awareness only by example.

Thanks for your considered FB and with regards

Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Sir:
    I would like to add one item to your environmental "to do" list and that is a national system of garbage collection. I believe it would do wonders in India in many ways.

1 person likes this.