1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Come! Let’s Play a Game….

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SARASVADIVU, May 27, 2011.

1. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hey! Dears, Encouraged by the overwhelming response to the previous post..here’s one more on the same lines..hope that you’ll would like it:

This happened at the end of this academic year..it was one of those sessions of long ‘Winter Holidays’ for the children of our School.

We{the staff} were to leave for the vacation only a week later ..so meanwhile, our management had planned to hold an exclusive workshop for us, on “Creative Ways of Teaching”!!

Thanks to the scholarly panel of 6 resource persons, the sessions focused on exactly what we wanted: An unleashing of our Creative Expressions, which normally tend to get washed-off in our daily monotonous routine!!!!

After having given us adequate tips and motivating us through ‘left-asking-for-more- fun-games, on the final day of the session, we were asked to individually present a sample ‘creative micro teaching’..which must drive home the concept/topic taken, within 5-7 mins.

The previous night I had gathered all these articles:
    1. a bar of chocolate

2. a silk ribbon..(the one we use on gift-wraps)

3. a heavy wooden bangle

4. an intricately worked-upon pearl ornament.

5. and on my way to the venue, some fresh flowers from the school garden!!

Now, this was all the arrangements I had made..I did not want to go back to any books and complicate it all, but preferred to keep it as simple as possible.

(Of course I was baffled at the heavy preparations in the form of charts and models by some of my colleagues; not to leave out those Science teachers avidly flipping through the pages of their reference books!!!)

My turn came and from the word go I decided not to waste even a single second as the time given was only 5-7mins.

“So what’s the topic you have taken?”-the senior resource person.

“Mam, I don’t want to disclose the topic taken right now..shall I proceed?”-me.

“Er ...it’s fine, go ahead”-the senior resource person.

Thanking her I started out the session.. turning towards the audience:

“Hey! 'Kids', I’m going to divide you’ll into five teams..just be seated the way you’ll are”..

--named them as A, B, C, D&E teams.

“I would quickly want a representative from each of the teams to come to my table and take an article of your choice..common let me see how fast you can make it!”

{this way the five teams had an article each}

“We are about to play an exciting game 'kids'..at the end of which you will come to know what was the concept you’ll learnt, fine”.

“Yes mam, we are ready”..those were the eager voices of the 'students'!!

The game we played was called, “Visual to Verbal”; here each team would take just a minute..and come out with one word that best describes the article in their hand; then, the team leader would come up to the board and write the word against his/her team’s name.

There was absolute fun, laughter, cheer and enthusiasm..all very typical of a team-effort!!

This is for you to know the team’s effort:-
    Team A's article was chocolate and they came out with the word, "delicious".
    Team B's article was the wooden bangle and the word they gave was 'hard'.
    Team C's chose the silk ribbon for which they wrote the word:Soft!
    TeamD's article were the flowers and they gave the word, 'Pinkish'.
    Team E went for the Pearl set and they came out with the word,"Beautiful". [​IMG]

Now still had 2 minutes to go:

I turned at the 'kids 'and told them..”If I had to rename your team each with two letters..I would do it this way:

Team A renamed as “AD”
    Team B renamed as “JE”
    Team C renamed as “CT”
    Team D renamed as “IV”
    Team E renamed as “ES”.

Hey! 'Kids' put all the initials of your team together.. and what you get out of it ..is exactly what you’ll learnt:

“ADJECTIVES”!!!!!

I had finished ahead of a few seconds and then looked at the resource person’s face:

She stood up clapping..followed by the other resource persons..Oh my! I was being given a standing ovation by 6 versatile and experienced academicians..was left almost in tears.

When they had to bid adieu, the senior academician called me and told a few words which still makes me tick as a TEACHER!

“You are a teacher the kids really need”!!!!!!
    Saras.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

WOW !!!!!! BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCE !!!!!!!!!!!

SARAS, YOU ARE A PRECIOUS ASSET TO SCHOOL, COLLEAGUES AND YOUR KIDS !!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers

DEAR, SHARE ALL YOUR EXPERIENCES AS A TEACHER ...VERY INTERESTING !!!!!

I AM GOING TO SHOW THIS BLOG OF YOURS TO MY KIDS ..BECOS THEY CAN LEARN A LOT FROM IT.....THE WAY OF PRESENTATION, NOVEL IDEA OF NOT USING BOOKS BUT THINGS WE USE IN DAY-TO-DAY LIFE , YOUR INVOLVEMENT, YOUR WRITING SKILLS, YOUR CONFIDENCE IN THE METHOD YOU CHOSE, YOUR PRIDE IN YOUR STUDENTS CAPABILITY AND TALENTS..... !!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

ENJOYED YOUR GAME A LOT !!!!!!!!!!

SARAS, GODDESS SARASWATHI HAS BLESSED YOU WITH ALL HER HEART !!!!!!!!!!!

3. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

Wow!!! Extraordinary!!! Hats off to u.. I wish I was ur student.. :) I couldnt ressit commenting on the post.. We need teachers like u..

All the best!! Keep rocking like this forever!!!

4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Wow Saras!!! You are a great teacher...
    If we have teachers like you then no kid will say no to school :)

Keep sharing your experiences.. Its good learning for us...

5. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dearmost Saras,

You took me to my school and college days. Excellent game and I liked the way you narrated. I was able to visualize all in front of my eyes as I was reading it.

I love to be your student. All your are students are so lucky to have a creative teacher. This is how a teacher should be and like you I need a teacher to my little one. I'm sure, he will come out with flying colors and also good in attitude and character.

Hats off my friend:hatsoff...I'm so proud to be a person known to you...hope when some one says "Malar" you get remembered of me atleast few instances....

Please do share all you such lovely school stuff...which will help us grow our children better. Thanks a lot from the bottom of my heart!!

Love,
    Malar

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saras,
    I don't know why are you hell-bent on making me long for a teacher like you. I did have good teachers; but their creativity was nothing more than setting Ba ba black sheep to a different tune.

The way you have taught about adjectives well they won't forget it for the rest of their lives.

Your are a natural, Saras, when it comes to teaching and creativity.

What more can I say except uttering a silent prayer to the Almighty that you should be blessed with good health and be teaching for a long, long time to come. And if you teach long enough, who knows, I might have taken my next birth and would have become your student.

love,
    sridhar

7. SARASVADIVU

DEAR MSS,

I REALLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSISTENT STEPPING IN..AND THAT EXTRA MOTIVATION THROUGH YOUR WONDERFUL PICS.

WHAT MORE FOR A TEACHER TO ASK THAN AN HONOUR VIA PARENTS LIKE YOU:bowdown

>SARAS, GODDESS SARASWATHI HAS BLESSED YOU WITH ALL HER HEART !!!!!!!!!!!
    --VERY VERY TRUE MSS,IT'S ONLY HER SUPPORT AND THE ASSURANCE SHE GIVES ME THAT 'I'M THERE WITH YOU GAL' ..THAT HAS SORT OF MOULDED ME INTO WHATEVER I AM TODAY!!!!
    SARAS.

8. SARASVADIVU

Hello bliss,

lovely name there yaar!
    I owe my tokens of gratitude to you for first of all stepping in and offering your feedback.
    Very touched dear!!

Cheers,

Saras

9. SARASVADIVU

Hello vidu,

You people are so modest to the core to the extent of supporting all my teaching efforts..at times more than our Princi:)

Lovely and touching comment vidu..simply floored.

Cheers,

Saras

10. SARASVADIVU

Dear dear malar,

Only you can utter such words that springs out from genuine friendship:
    >Hats off my friend:hatsoff...I'm so proud to be a person known to you...hope when some one says "Malar" you get remembered of me atleast few instances....
    --what is this malar..in fact it's me on the other end who's proud to have a pal like you da:):)

Thanks (though that word is not suffice) for all the lavish praise showered from the bottom of your heart!!!!
    Saras.