1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Colorful Drama

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shalumurthy, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Yeah ma'am, you are absolutely right! Fair isnt beautiful, being good at heart matters most!! and i really pity those who dont understand it!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Dear Jasmine,
    Thank you so much for your wishes. its sad to hear such discrimination but this is common in other countries. Even birds of same feather flock together but here, you got to be a fair bird to flock together:D

i feel bad for all those who dont look beyond the skin, there lies the real beauty!! your feedback is straight from heart:) makes me feel much better.

Thyagarajan and jasmine25 like this.
  3. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Too bad to hear of such state but thats how the world is right now:( untill and unless we change we cant expect others to change. even i wanted fair skin once but now im proud of my skin colour... all i want is a clean and healthy skin now:D

Thyagarajan and navs23 like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am proud to say that I was a victim of this color drama when I was a child. I remember writing about my issues in some other thread in the past.

I was the only brown skinned (well, not dark) person among the entire family. Others are a bit fairer than me. I think I got this skin color from one of our ancestor, whom I never met.

Everyone would comment bad about my skin. Everyone would compare my skin with my sister, my cousins and specially with my mom saying how come her DD is "black"?

I felt humiliated most of the time. I felt as if I am not beautiful. I did not trust my mom and grand-mom, those repeatedly assured that I look more beautiful than my sister or cousins. I thought they are just consoling me. So, I slowly lost my self confidence there. I hated being dark till I grew up.

But at School I was fairer than many of my friends. They admired my smile, my eyes, my hair which I failed recognise during all these while. My self confidence was slowly got boosted there.

After my adulthood, I started recognizing my well shaped body, my height, my weight, my style and my personality all together. I got the real confidence about me only after being an adult.

Happy to say that I can be an eye catcher than of my fair cousins and sister now.

So, the skin color is not at all a matter to be considered, specially at this small age. But it is very sad that we live in a place where people find ways to judge someone and put them down as much as they can instead of finding the positives in them. I was a victim of that during my childhood, so I don't want that to happen to any kids on earth.

Thyagarajan, sindmani and Shalumurthy like this.
  5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shalu, hearty congratulations for your lovely lil bundle of joy, may god bless her.

I beliefe that likes and dislikes about skin color are impacted by culture and shaped by traditions based on opression, discrimination, differenciation and identification of different groups to draw clear lines between them, such groups include socio economic status related ones, religious, ethnical, area like country etc. ... Its an old habbit to meassure things and compare which gives people often a sort of satisfaction as they feel they "belong" to something or are of higher value. This is a basic human tendency i think not only just indian... In former times in western countries for example they liked really fair and white skin, using powder to appear as white as possible. It meant for them the presentation of wealth as rich people dont leave the house, same in other countries of the world, richs didnt work outside and had servants so they usually stayed fairer. Later in the west travelling became a fashion and those who could affort it traveled to warm countries or spent vacations on the beach - they got tanned and darkend - so it startet to show wealth (we can afford travelling) to be a bit darker.
    At the end of the day i feel that people push their own insecurities over to another human being, just by finding something they can somehow use to pull that person down and make themselfes feel better - superior. That these people even use babies for such things is discusting me.
    I will not use such sentences as black / darker people are pritty too as this emplies somehow too its a discussable question. Which it is not. I still fail to recognise any sort of relation between skin tone and beauty, there is just simply no connection.

I totally understand you are shocked about their behavior and that they even commented on a innocent cute baby. Dont think in a way like she is a baby and teethless so she is cute, she will be same cute and pritty when she is elder, im very sure. Neither her skin tone nor her age has anything to do with this stupid marks, its just uniquely the problem of the people who comment!!!

Btw. a dirty mind can never see real beauty (not saying your cousin is dirty just quoting this sentence in generall).

Liked and enjoyed the way you wrote everything down and wish i could express myself in english as nice as you can, so want to apologize for my bad english and hope it was a bit to understand what i was trying to say.

Thyagarajan and Shalumurthy like this.
  6. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Dear RedRuby,

You have absolutely written the truth and there is nothing wrong with the way you penned it down. i actually loved it.

i have never let this color of skin tone bother me untill now. im not angry im jus shocked that people do that even for babies. true that culture and traditions make ppl do this but where is common courtesy btw?? hurting other ppl to feel good abt themselves sucks and somebody's got to tell such ppl.

I have heard such skin tone drama in schools, colleges, in families between friends but this is the first time i heard it for a baby!! After they left i actually had a heart laugh at their ignorance but my mom was pretty pissed. no wonder she is GRAND-mom:p

sindmani likes this.
  7. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Dear SGBV,

So happy to know you have got back the confidence. I wish i always have this kind of strength and confidence cause sometimes i lack it:(

All the best and keep looking beautiful:)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shalu,

First of all, Congratulations on being nominated to FP of the month by Iyerviji. She certainly chose a worthy post for nomination.

Is it not ironic that India known for its dark skinned people shows so much discrimination when it comes to color of the skin? Nevermind how fair one is, if an Indian goes to a Western country, he is deemed as dark! But that does not make him inferior in any way. Our whole family were envied by Germans for our dark skin when we lived in N Germany where they are mostly very fair and blond! Some of them had Never seen a darker person with black hair until they saw us. They used to ask us to pose for pictures!! That's how the very fair skinned admire the dark skin. After all, they do spend a fortune to attain a golden hue to their skin!:rotfl

Please do not let the wagging tongues hurt you. I am more than convinced that your little girl will grow up to be a dusky beauty with a loving mom like you. Some get a sadistic pleasure by putting down others for outward appearances...dark, short, fat, ugly etc etc. Nothing can be further from truth. It is your self confidence and inner beauty that counts. Yes, is not the Tamil super star Rajnikant dark and plain looking? If you look a little further, Beyoncé is considered a beauty, a highly talented and successful one at that. Michael Jackson is my personal favorite and look what he did to himself falling prey to fair skin illusions?

Its easy for us to tell you not to care about people's talk. But the trust and confidence should come from within yourself. So be optimistic and believe that your daughter will go places and will be admired for her grace and elegance and beauty.
    Enjoy your little one and all the best to you and her!

L, Kamla

Thyagarajan, sindmani and Shalumurthy like this.
  9. Shalumurthy

Shalumurthy Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala ji,

Thank you for those kind words. Im sure my daughter will go places cause ill teach her beauty is not in face but at heart!! its just so sad to see the attitude of even educated people.

This post is surely not a vent nor aimed at pouring my frustrations. this was an incident which triggerred me to pen down my thoughts after a really long long time.

Once again thanks for the fb. means a lot:)

cheers.

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Shalu dear your post has been awarded for the finest contribution, congrats

1 person likes this.