1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

colistop medicine for 24 days old baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by tuffyshri, Dec 29, 2012.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

My LO aged 24 days has been passing loose stool very frequently in smaller amount since day 11. She is only breast fed except first 2 days where she was fed on Lactogen bcoz mine was a CSection and was not able to sit down, nor there was milk secretion. Her Ped. suggested colistop antibacterial 1 ml (based on her weight) 3 times a day for 5 days, where I have done a mistake while mixing the solution :-( This medicine is a powdered one with steriled water of two 10 mls are provided. The instruction says to add teh entire water content upto the bottle's ring. I did so and with one 10 ml water itself the bottle became full. I started giving that one - the concentrated one - for the past 3 days. Now the entire bottle is empty and I have bought another one. This time I mixed it very properly by shaking the bottle every now and then and adding the entire 20 ml water. It comes very much diluted and upto the bottle's ring!!

Am now too scared to think of the thick concentrated tonic that i had given my LO for these 3 days.... anything will happen??? I in fact will ask the Ped. also the same question but really am scared that i am posting it now.

BTW since yday her frequency has reduced noticable. Not sure if this is the reason but of late it has started stinking also instead of having sweet smell. However her feeding, sleeping, pee pee are fine. She poos bulkly at least once a day inspite of the smaller frequency and amount throughout the day.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@tuffy I dont know about colistop. But I can just say dont get tensed about what has already happened. Most probably it should be ok and if anything was to happen, it would have happened already. But do talk to paed immediately instead of waiting for a checkup date. It is just a learning for us.

LO's poop smell is affected directly by what you eat too. So check if you have changed anything in your food.

3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi TuffyShri,
    No idea on this medicine..but when my DD was 2 week old , she had same issue and her ped says - Since she is completely on BF there is nothing to be worried. Baby on BF can do potty 6 times a day or once in a 6 week..both are normal (till baby is in complete BF)