1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Coins Flipped both happy and sad need suggestions

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Goahead, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

I'm trying to keep this to the point : My inalws have been very mean to me for the past 4-5 years.I have had all my shares of lies, manipulations, dramas, expectations ( one way ), taunts etc with NO HUSBAND SUPPORT. he is a mumma's boy till date

1. so recently, my FIL fell sick , i forced my husband to rush to India and my MIL got good support that she probably realized. my inlaws are also very ,money minded. my MIL can say anything to please anyone as long as it does not have a cost, but where she has to spend, she stays quiet...so my husband paid for the hospitals etc as well there...

2. Now all of a suddent my MIL and FIL who never callled me in like 7 years, started calling me and their tone of voice changed ..they are being very nice to me for either one of the reason or both 1. husband being there for support 2. money given to them

3. my husband is a mommys boy. he gets very convinced that his parents are GOD...so while he's gone, my parents are calling me more and enuiring more as I'm alone here with the kid..my husband in the past has tried to sideline my parents and wanted to have only his family involved. He thought that because I'm married to him, i have everything to do with his family only.so he was very disrespectful to my family and never treated my sister, brother the same as I treated his...

my problems with his family started after i realized how they are not because of the fact that they are my inlaws...but for him my family was non existence day 1

4. so i think my husband had problems/jealously knowing that I'm talking to my folks...never said that directly, but you know I can sense some of the things after living with him for so many years ....the way he would question me something etc etc
    5 My parents on the other hand were callling my husband/ inlaws atleast 2-3 times a day to enquire
    6. my husband did not even call my parents once fom iNDIA...Even the day he was leaving..he left for the airport and was in car when my parents again called him...if the tables are turned and my husband was in India for lets say something related to my family, he would have called his folks every day ...i fet this was very disrespectfu on his part and he called all his relatives etc and even met them .another incidence as my parents were calling my husband on phone and he did not pick the phone up and did not even call them back the same day or next day ...next day afternoon my mother called again and enquired. While the same morning, my husband talked on skype to me and then his sibling as well...and his relatives too...its very disrespectful that someone( my parents in this case) calls you 2-3 times and you do not have the courtesy to return the call even the next day ...and if I had done this to his parents, he would have eaten me alive and my PIL would have made a huge issue out of this that how they kept calling me and I never returned the call...

7. Now my husband has bonded with his parents and is acting strange again..the same things his parents are GOD and want no phone calls to my family...hes calling his side of the family like crazy day and night and his brother sister as well...bonding like a family, and i really feel that hes going back to his same behaviour that I worked on years back...
    when i talk to my family, he gives this look that makes me cry..he even went to state that earlier i used to talk to my parents over the weekend and now because hes talking to his day and night I'm trying to copy him...

i do not have the patience to work on my husband again realizing him that he has to be respectful to my family as well...rather I think if hes the same now, then he can never chnage...i know he never changed, he stopped showing his disrespectful nature for my family, though he never had any emotions for them.and as i got offended with his family based on all that happened in the past years, he realized that the only way for me to talk and be respectful to his family would be when he treats my family with some respect ..but now hes back again ..

are you ladies understanding my feelings...? so i have no idea now what to do and Im really afraid that i will loose my patience and there will be one big fight again...

i do not trust my inlaws, they are nice to me today but they will chnage again in just once instance when they either dnt get the money or when I do not satisfy their ego....what do i do now ??? i just want peace and less inlaws interference...and it is so difficult to live with double standard and mean husband

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

You are emotionally drained of trying to work on your husband. I dont think you can ever MAKE him respect your family or MAKE him behave well with them.
    I totally understand your situation. I would say, just dont bother about what he does with his family..You continue speaking to your parents..And dont let his looks and comments bother you too. If he says something just remind him that your parents are GOD for you too.

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Agree with gauridinesh.I will add that you continue to behave the way used to behave before the illness. Don't change your behavior because they seem to have suddenly realized your presence. They seem to have realized that they need you people in their life now that they are older .Just behave normal and ignore husband's sudden change in behavior.

You keep in touch with your parents.let husband know respect and care is not a one way street.

4. Nd123

Nd123 Gold IL'ite

I am going to piss of a lot of people but if you think calmly about it, it is the truth...

The reason that your inlaws get more respect is because your husbands wants to be respected, while you sold your parent's respect for a few sweet words and peace of mind. This is your fault that your parents are treated like this.

If you aren't nice to your inlaws, there are consequences. But if your parents are treated badly there is none. Your husband has absolutely no incentive to treat your parents well and he isn't decent enough to treat them well.

The first time your parents were treated badly and you didn't stand up for them, you showed by your actions that it was ok. I don't see why you are complaining now. Coz in your list of priorities, respect for them is kinda in the bottom. After all you yourself claim that what you want is peace of mind and less interference and peace, so stop making your parents an issue and you will get the peace of mind.

I probably could have said this same message couched in more understanding words but am not feeling very patient today.

5. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

Well nd, i may not have written everything here in the post, but i did stand up for my parents when they were not respected early on in the marriage. I continuously told my husband about it, no matter how many fights we went through..so we have been fighting since beginning. First, it was he not treating my family ok, then as years passed by while he was changing or pretend to change, his parents did a lot of intolerable stuff...so the fights started on that ...now the situation was that we both were doing equal stuff in regards to treating parents...i kind of drew that line that no matter what my parents are going to get some respect as i'm working as well, othrerwise your parents are not nice at all, so I can leave them to themselves..

6. Nd123

Nd123 Gold IL'ite

My bad, I apologize.

And you have answered your own question. Tell him that you will treat his parents as he treats your parents. And do so...

2 people like this.
  7. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Tell your parents to stop calling him again and again. For every situation, tell them to call only once, that's all. If he doesnt pick up that is his problem. Tell them to leave a vmail, send a text or email expressing concern for formality sake. But only once.

4 people like this.
  8. adimad

adimad Silver IL'ite

Agreed. This might have worked for me. My hubby was a bit like this at the time of marriage - his parents are to be treated like Gods by me while mine dont matter. Though he was never ever disrespectful or anything, but just that the expectations were one-way. i.e. only I need to treat his parents like God, not him.

from day 1, I made clear that I will do unto his parents as he unto mine. And I stuck to it. Never talked to or called his parents more than he called mine. Even when we went to India for 1st time, I declared I will stay at his parents house for the same number of days as he stays at mine. That created a huge story which Ill share some other time.

But the point is being strong and reciprocating from day 1 helped. My husband has come to realise that my parents mean as much to me as his parents to him and does not have unreal expectations. I didnt need to change him, just manage his expectations through my actions and responses.

Also I TOTALLY understand ho husbands become brainwashed after spending time in India and it seem all the "work" you have done on them has gone down the drain. But they will eventually come around again hopefully, so dont give up. Be consistent with your reactions - that is most important. For eg, react EACH time your parents are not shown respect. Dont let 1 or 2 small things here and there pass.

1 person likes this.
  9. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi making your husband respect your parents is a very difficult task. My MIL brainwashed my DH against them so much he could not stand the sight of them. But the good thing was he never stopped me from having a relationship with them and if he did I would not have listened. Your parents don't live near you so it is more difficult for you. But my DH only started respecting my parents after my mom came to take care of me and my daughter after I had a horrible surgery and could not do anything for my self. My mother for 2 months gave up everything and stayed and cooked and cleaned and took care of everything without asking anything in return. I could not go to bank as I was in so much pain, and my DH was so brainwashed would not go for me, so my mom used her own money to go buy groceries and cook my favourite foods it was horrible. But after that my DH started turning, he saw how much care and love she gave us and he loved the bond between our child and her. He started chaining and started caring for them. He now cares so much for them, even though that drives his parents nuts. What I am trying to say dear is that you can't force your parents on your DH. You also can't be like you don't talk to mine so I won't talk to yours. You have to manage your relationship with your iL based on how they treat you and what their actions are towards you but not based on how your DH treat your parents. They don't sound like great people so I can see why you can't stand them. I know you did the right thing by sending your DH to India, but sometimes it is better if we just stay neutral. I have found that works better, let your DH make his own decisions. I am sure one day your husband will come around but please don't let it impact your relationship with your parents, continue to call write etc, and if that drives him nuts too bad.