Coffee Houses In Madurai!

Discussion in 'Madurai' started by varalotti, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Shanthirani

Shanthirani New IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

I am a relatively new member and joined this site this month.

I have been browsing this site almost every day since the day I joined and have participated in a couple of posts/threads on songs. I wanted to get involved in other discussions as well and your description about coffee reminds me of the good old days I spent in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.... at Thanjavur, where I went to School, Tiruchi where I went to University and Chennai, where I lived for few years and coffee had been an integral part of my life in all these cities.

Your description about <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Madurai</st1:place></st1:city> coffee also makes my mouth water. Coffee is something I have always cherished and could drink it anytime of the day, even on a very hot midday. My husband makes really good filter coffee, however, coffee doesn't agree with me for some reasons and I have switched to tea recently. All our friends who visit us love to have coffee at our place.

Yes, as you mentioned, Starbucks, and other famous coffee houses like Tim Hortons, Second Cup....none is anywhere near home made filter coffee.

My brother-in-law lives in <st1:city w:st="on">Madurai</st1:city> with his family and we have visited <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Madurai</st1:place></st1:city> a few times. Next time we talk to him, we will surely mention about Visalam Coffee.

Regards, Shanthi

2. whiterainbow

whiterainbow New IL'ite

I still remember the coffee, tea of all sort of areas and "Kalkandu Paal" (Hard Sugar Milk) which I tasted when I stayed in South Gate area (I didn't remember the lane name). But as of now you can taste Cappuccino, Latte and other flavours of international coffee and tea in Madurai (Cafe Coffee day, Aryabhawan).

3. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

A few shops away on the West Chithirai street from Nagapattinam Nei Mittai kadai is Gopu Iyengar's hotel.It is in the corner of North and West chithirai st junction. Kaara Chutney and vellaiappam are famous, with a shot of coffee. Anybody tasting this kaara chutney is bound to have the ear drums pounding..schhhhh.

Rajendra' s near Sacs on townhall road, is famous for it's adai..Sankuvala opp.nallis on jadamuni koil street, is wholesome dal,roti and sabji stuff..Mango juice-any time of the year is pure relish..Anybody has tried Chadrakala,jigarthnda and puttu? What about the the Kothu parotta?

4. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Dear Paanza

My mouth is watering after reading your post about Madurai specialities. Actually when I visited India last year I was supposed to visit Madurai. But I could not do so due to lack of time. My mother was born in Madurai and some day I want to visit this famous city Madurai and taste all the tasty food there.
    Anyhow south Indian food particularly Tamil Nadu is the best.

Regards
    Nirmala

5. delmon54

delmon54 New IL'ite

Re: There r one more special thing that is available in madurai

Hello Friends

Apart from the coffee and jigarthanda, u can get special Scented supari and Dried fruit mixture, sweet seeval roasted in ghee with cashew nuts from Chamundi shop near central cinema hall in west tower st. madurai . u can get all types of dry fruits and Haldiram sweets and snacks here.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  6. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Anybody knows about the Gowri coffee lovers?

7. prabcas

prabcas New IL'ite

Dear All,

Well all Know the coffee shop i do know.
    Visaalam, College Hose Coffe etc..
    Some more shops are also there......
    1.Gowri Annexe SS COLONY North Gate.
    2.Gowri Ganga, Near College House.
    3.Meenakshi Coffee Bar., Vadakku avani Moola Street and East Veli Street.
    4.Kamadhenu coffee Bar near Central Theatre.
    5.PTR Coffee., All over madurai has some branches.
    6.Malligai Sweets. Gokhale Road.

But The Visaalam Beqats the all. Visaalam at
    1.Goripalayam, 2.tallakulam,
    3.Mela perumal Maistry street opp to Canara bank
    4.Simmakkkal etc.,

I love coffee.....I addicted to the above shops.my last coffe i tasted 1/2 hour before at visaalam....the taste reamins in my tongue yet.WOW..

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar

Just happened to see this thread today. I am also addicted to coffee that too filter coffee. I dont like instant coffee. I have come to Madurai twenty years back and after that I have not got a chance to go there.

If I get a chance I will definitely have Visalam Coffee and also come to your house to have coffee as your mother and Indhu make good coffee. Olden times some people used to grind the coffee seeds and make coffee which used to taste so nice. Some people make coffee with fresh milk and fresh decotion and heat it in warm water and not directly on the gas. They like to have coffee like that.

viji

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Just now went thru this thread.Thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts.I also love filter coffee.Everyone in my house takes tea.So I have a small filter only for myself.Closest to our Indian coffee powder ,which I get here is a brand of Brazilian coffee powder.I really like it.But everytime I visit rests,in Chennai,first in my order has been always a hot cup of filter coffee.Years back I have visited Madurai and I remember having food in a mess called Shriram.It was excellent.After reading this post,I have decided to add Madurai in my must visit place during my vacation this time.

10. vlakshmi123

vlakshmi123 New IL'ite

Hello Mam: I recently relocated to the US. And I miss my filter coffee. Can you please tell us the way you make filter coffee here in the US. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Lakshmi