Coffee Houses In Madurai!

Discussion in 'Madurai' started by varalotti, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear kb !

This is new to me. We have only "cut tea" which is half the amount.
    I will find out & let you know.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. kb2000

kb2000 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks C for your prompt reply

I will try to get the exact details, whether it is a shop name and the place where i had the tea, it happened some 10-15 years ago.

It had some kind spices in the tea, usually we put ginger and cardamom in tea, but this more than that.. :)

l,
    kb

3. manjunat

manjunat New IL'ite

Dear Varalotti and Chitvsh
    Wow i felt soooo happy to read ur mails. I am also a maduraikari! I went back to my memory lane......visalam coffee, thnagam theatre, victoria edward hall & their collection of books. What about the regal theatre where they used to screen only english movies those days. happy memories. Through this IL i'll be happy if i come to know any of the fatimites,(fatime college) & St joseph's girls high school.
    I always feel happy to talk about madurai.:-D

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,
    I am thrilled to "discover" one more Maduraite in I l .
    Well, I did my entire schooling in St Joseph's convent !
    I was one of the first batch students of Fatima as well. ( now, please, please, don't start guessing my age - I stopped growing old long back & started thinking young ? - howzzaatt??!!). Later, I studied in American College & worked as a chemistry lecturer in Fatima for 2 yrs, before I got married.
    I have written an article on A c & want to post it, as a tribute to the most famous institution in Madurai. I wonder how it will be received !
    Do you still visit M? I do because my amma & sister live there.
    Nice hearing from you.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. manjunat

manjunat New IL'ite

[Dear Chitvish,
    I felt gr8 to learn that you are also from the same school and college. Even my elder sisters studied there. My second sister kripa did her physics major in fatima. I don't know if u were teaching at that time:wink:.
    Don't worry i won't start guessing your age because we women always feel young at heart!!!!
    No, its almost 13 years since i visited M, as my Bil retired from TVS and my sis's family moved to madras.
    My father passed away b4 my marriage. He was a cardiologist in erskine hospital. So amma stays with me most of the time.
    I miss madirai sooo much.
    Love

6. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Dear kb,
    The chit chat you refer to is a small fast food shop in the Golcha Complex in Anna nagar , I think. I am not sure if they exhibit the name anylonger or may be I don't notice it.! But they have some wonderful hot snacks and tea ; there is always a small crowd in front of the shop - some refreshing themselves after the tiring shopping and some just to enjoy the food there:). I guess this must be what you have mentioned.

7. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Dear Vidya
    How kind of you to have given me the link for Jigardanda recipe by Chitvish, thank you! Sorry for the belated reply.
    Regards
    Savideva

8. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Felt good reading about so many people who are so attached to Madurai. I lived there for 23 yrs. I am an alumnus of LDC and American College and St Joseph's convent. I literally owe my career to the great education I had at these places. The thing that strikes you about the schools/colleges in Madurai institutions are the huuuuuge campus. I pity the younger generation in metros who are stuffed in some 2 storeyed building with no ground for playing/loitering.

My sweet memories of Madurai revolve my school and college, the walk around the temple while window shopping, thirunelveli alwa in the sweet stall opp station, our coloncy (LIC colony near Fatima college), etc. Also, the beautiful tamil that is spoken !
    Guess I will keep visiting this forum very often to rekindle my memories.

9. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Varalotti

Now I read about the coffee in Madurai. My mother used to make filter coffee for us everyday. But living in Europe I too take instant coffee in the morning. As you said nothing compared to filter coffee and it is the best. I never tasted Visalam coffee so I am definitely going to pay a visit to that Visalam Coffee house. I hope I can find the place.

thanks once again for the information about coffee.

Regards
    Nirmala

10. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nirmala,
    Welcome to Madurai again, Nirmala. Now if you want to visit Visalam Coffee, ask your cab driver to go to the Visalam Coffee Bar opposite to The American College, in Goripalayam. You can sit in the cab and ask your driver or somebody else to get your coffee. Ask for a strong coffee. It tastes great.
    Now Visalam is also selling Vadai, Vellaiappam etc. They taste really good.
    Thanks for visiting the thread.
    regards,