1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cofee while BFing?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by heron, Sep 27, 2013.

1. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

I am not an addict...but I love having coffee at least once a day and I don't drink those big starbucks cup but I do Indian cup(small cups)

I gave up 80% of my coffee consumption during pregnancy and I gave it up 100% after my baby is born until now. My baby is 6 weeks now and I wish for coffee, atleast once but I am scared that it will affect my milk supply. I don't want to jeopardise my supply.

I can continue quitting if there are serious issues with coffee and Bfing...but you know it will be great if its fine :)

Did any one had those indian cups 1/2 times a day during Bfing?. How was your baby?. My mom says all of them(4 sisters) never quit coffee as those days Horlicks was too costly and say none of the babies(2 for each so 8 babies) were affected.

I want assurance ladies. If not safe then I will quit. Anything for my baby!

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Heron
    i understand you love your cup of coffee.
    Yes you can drink it but don't overdo it. When caffeine enters your bloodstream, a small amount of it ends up in your breast milk. The amount in your milk peaks a couple of hours after you consume it.Since your newborn's body can't easily break down and get rid of caffeine, it may accumulate in his system.
    Now that you have avoided it for so many months,avoid it for a little longer is all i can suggest.You have your whole life left to drink coffee but your baby gets just these18-20months to feed.

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I really dont think an indian size cup (small steel tumblers) will effect the supply.

1 person likes this.
  4. krithi18

krithi18 New IL'ite

I dont think drinking coffee will affect Bf....
    I had it when my son is 4 months but only 1 tumbler per day...

5. Vidhya84

Vidhya84 Senior IL'ite

I used to drink coffee before pregnancy but restrained myself from drinking ever since (my son is now 8 months). Just the thought that I am doing this for my baby keeps me going...

But one indian tumbler per day will def not hurt you.