1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

cod liver capsules

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by priyanka, Feb 19, 2007.

1. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi

Has anyone taken Cod liver capsules?I have heard it has omega-3.Does it have any side effects?

thanks
    Priyanka

2. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Yes Priyanka, I have taken them for a long time. It is very good for health and can be taken regularly.
    Your hair and skin will also improve with that. There are no side effects as such

Latha :wave

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I have also taken codliveroil capsules in my younger days. It helps. No side effects. Now-a-days, we get Flaxoil capsules too. Contains same amount of Omega-3 as codliveroil.

Manjula

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    Cod liver oil capsules are very good for you. How ever, if you are strong Vegetarian, then please be aware that Cod Liver is actually fish liver.
    As Manju has written, take the flax oil capsules instead. They are of Veggie source. Flax is flax seed.

Vandhana

5. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I don't know abt flax oil capsules.Plz tell me abt this in detail.How these r helpful to us.....I mean gud for bones or wat???

Sonia

6. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Sonia,
    Flax Seeds contain an oil rich in Omega-3, the"good-fats". Flax seed is also called Linseed. The oil is available as cold -pressed oil in liquid form or as soft capsules. Flax seeds are also available as powder. Both oil and powder should be taken raw as cooking destroys the nutrients. Can be sprinkled on salads or gravy.

The benefits are too many to recount here. Yes for bones, tissues, for circulation system, for digestive system, for metabolism, for reproductive system , everything ! You can google the word Flax and get mountains of information !:mrgreen:

Manjula

7. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Dear Manjula,

Thank you so much.From where I can get this in India.On grocery stores (powder one) so That I can use the powder for salads etc.

And capsules we shd eat one daily or we shd ask doctor first.And for how long we can take it?Capsules : can I get on medical stores?

8. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sonia,

Check out the medical shops . I have seen them there. Like Apollo pharmacy or some big chemists.. Youy'll get them. All the best

Latha :wave

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sonia,

for flax seeds, try the Aurofoods Natural shop in Chennai. I read a piece in The Hindu saying that they stock flax seeds. You can also add flax to idli, dosa batter while grinding. It will be absorbed unknowingly (but as Manju said, raw is best).

I saw a discussion here on cod liver oil tablets. I must be the only voice of discord. I used to take them regularly for two years. Immunity, hair,skin,nails, complexion- vast improvement. Negative side- I put on lots of weight. A doctor told me that most cod liver oil tablets contain lot of cod fat which make us gain weight. I dont know if this is fully true, or if I am a unique (freak) case of adding weight after CL tablets.

regards
    Vidya

10. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Sonia,
    In India, Flax powder and the oil are available in leading departmental stores like Nilgiris , Health& Glo and certain special -food dealers. Also some pharmacies.
    As for dosage, it is given on the package itself.
    Flax should be consumed in moderation. Two spoons of the powder are enough for an adult's daily need of Omega-3.
    The brandname of the flax oil capsules available in India is " OG-3 VEG ", available in large medical shops.

I have seen on Internet that flax seed is sold online too

Manjula