1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Coconut Drawings? Or Coconut Engrave?

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by krishnaamma, Nov 1, 2007.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies,

Here I am posting one photo which Krishna took at the time of his cusin brother's Nichayadartham. We went to Bangalore to attend the function. When my co-sister showed all the items, which she purchased for the function, this coconut drawing attracted us very much.
    She told that we can order for this and what ever design or picture you want, they will put that on a dry coconut. Really it is very good art. Is it not? And they are charging only Rs. 38/- per piece. And they deliver it with in a week it seems.
    I want to know more about this. But I dont know the name of the art. She did this in Bangalore only. I searched in the net also.:thumbsdown I could not get any information about this. Anybody can tell about this? Really want to have some pieces for me. Even want to know whether can we keep them in the Showcase? Please help me.
    I dont know what they did with the coconuts after the function:idontgetit:

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi krishnamma,

It is also a craft..I know it is done..have seen one some 6 to 8 years before..heard a friend of a relative did.in chennai only.. but after sometime, it shrinks...and cannot be kept for long....will check and come back...

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear krishnaamma,
    this is the traditional seer of the kannadigas they have to have a tray full of these it is engraved on kopparai so take some time to shrink, along with other things like pori urundai which we dont keep during weddings, the sarees and table cloth and the entire seer is kept in a glass door room where all can see what is being given..sunkan