1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cockroaches

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rithi, Dec 26, 2007.

1. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

ILadies,

We live in a town house and my house is haunted with cockroaches. I think most of you would be familar with this problem if you live/lived in apt. or town house. I have tried everything on them and I am a cleaning freak myself but doesn't seem to help. I have a toddler girl at home and can't use any strong pesticide. Tried krishnamma's boric acid powder trick, but the cockroaches have started feeding on them.

Our family will be visiting India next week and if you can please pour in your suggestions how to get rid of them.

Worried Rithi

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Boric acid is the best solution and a reliable one. I am surprised how it did not work. We in India have LAXMAN REKHA and Hit for cockroaches. They do not enter for sometime. Check the expiry date of the boric acid you have bought.
    I can understand your problem as me too do not like any insects creeping and crawling in my house. My heart felt concern. Check out if some sprays are available in the market. You can spray and leave your home for an hour. Return and they are dead...

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rithi,

I have no idea about this problem and hence cannot name any products to help destroy the cockroaches. But I strongly advice you to visit your local Home Depot or some other such store and look there for insect killers. They have plenty of choice and you are bound to find something. Keep at it until you eradicate the problem.
    Also, do try to investigate if they are coming from any source? Like a hole the wall or basement etc and treat it at the root cause.
    I can understand it being a nuisance, esp with a young child at home.
    Also, get that Lakshman rekha that Malspie mentioned from India if you are visiting soon.
    Best of Luck.

L, Kamla

4. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Thank you Kamala and Malspie,

My boric acid powder is a recent one, just bought few weeks back from Walgreens. I used 2tbs of boric acid powder, 2tbs of wheat flour and 2tbs of sugar. Did I go wrong in the proportion or something?

I made the paste after reading threads in IL

Just want to leave my house pest free when we are not there so that we have a fresh start when we come back from India.

rithi

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear

Just sprinkle boric acid powder in the natural form. I have it sprinkled liberally almost everywhere as my house remains locked throughout the day and it can be a heaven for them. Let me tell you THEY ARE AT BAY. It actually works. Keep it in natural form and spread it liberally.

Bye

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rithi,

Sorry to hear about the cockroach menace and the problem you are facing .
    Since you are coming to India soon ,you can if allowed to carry back, take with you a few cans of "HIT" cockroach spray.I found it very effective.You can spray it into nooks and corners and crevices and within minutes it starts to work.The effect lasts for many days too.Since you have to leave you can use the boric powder for now and return with "HIT" cockroach spray...it is a red coloured can.You can spray and leave the house for an hour or two and return so that the smell won't bother you or your baby.
    Regards,
    PAULINA:wave:

7. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Even same problem at our home...i was suprised to see roaches here...I can understand your problem,becoz we face the exact situation.

When my sister &family visit i feel very embrassed becoz it crawls all over my kitchen counter.She got 3+yrs daughter who jumps saying bugs amma nu....

We are trying nest destroying from combat company which we bought from Walmart...try that.

Regards,
    USHA.

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

If you are staying in a town home complex and if it has a leasing office attached to it,call them regarding the problem.They will surely have some solution for it.

In CA,I used to have problem with ants and the leasing office gave me a very effective spray to kill them.At that time,they told me that we were entitled to get the spray from them free since we stayed in that complex.

9. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

I live in an apt. I'm just reluctant to spray boric acid powder as such everywhere for its toxicity. Someone told me that it will remain forever and we have to inhale the boric acid in air. Any suggestions?

I'll try every method mentioned in this thread Hit, Lakshman rekha, nest destroyer etc., Since we live in apt. and share the walls with neighbors I am having a nightmare that cockroaches haunt us from everywhere. It is really disgusting and I am getting sick of living in apt.

Rithi

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all,

When we were in bahrain, there was this gentleman from kerala, who had his concoction from mango seed and something. he used to bring the powder and make a paste with water..it used to be a yellow paste, just like sandal powder paste...and just apply in all nooks and corners.....and all cockroaches died.and never returned even after a year....he closely guarded that secret
    hope somebody knows where to get that powder...It was non-toxic, and also because of my allergies i can safely use that if needed.

anybody knows this method...it would really be useful to others...