1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Co- Sister? There's No Such Word in English

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by twinsmom, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Well, your earlier message said that the term SIL with an explanation as to what 'type' of SIL is perfectly acceptable in the rest of the world, and that, therefore, there was no need for a term such as co-sister? I was responding to that. Now you're saying that this explanation isn't important? OK!

BTW, the bolded statement above was EXACTLY my point. To each, his or her own. The purpose of the forum isn't to dissect the terms being used to describe the nature of our in-law relationship with the individuals under question but to share the spill-over effects of their bad behavior with fellow members. So, the term 'co-sister' is just as good as the term 'SIL' to use here. Who cares if it is Indish or Butler English or if conveys a 'business-like' relationship -- the point is that some of our stress is being caused by the in-law in question and this is the place to share / vent it SAFELY without being judged for the quality of the English that we use to do so.

If the term co-sister bothers you, then just ignore it and focus on the rest of the post. But it is rather harsh to say that the use of the word 'co-sister' irritates you simply because it isn't right-'propah' English -- a lot of us may just prefer to continue speaking / using our Butler English here. That's just our choice and perfectly acceptable as long as our language isn't foul or obscene.

JMO.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. rr99

rr99 Senior IL'ite

WHATEVER, Not worth my time to discuss this with you!,