1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Co-sis coming soon-want to give her some feedback.Should i?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by gauridinesh, Aug 19, 2013.

1. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Gals.
    So a long update..
    My co-sis finally arrived in september. The days of my BILs marriage were a blur - coz I was busy with my kids , managing the cooking , tolerating the drama of my MIL.
    Anyway after the wedding, we stayed at my PILs place for a week. Then my husband had to return to US .
    I also work , and luckily my office is in my parent's town. We moved from chennai to my hometown. Me and H have our own house (recently built). My parents stay in their own place. Since H is out of country since June 2013, I stay with my parents from then.
    So this new house of ours is empty - we were looking to rent it out since I was also planning to move to US,but were waiting for BILs wedding to get over, since I knew that H would come to India for the wedding and PILs would want to visit us in my hometown and they would not stay in my parents place (!).
    After the wedding, my H returns to US - I move back to my parents place all is well.
    Two days after I reach, I call up my new Co-sis and she kind of hints that she is not happy. I just say ' I know u miss ur parents.u will get accustomed to it'.
    Again when I call up she says ' Oh deedi, just cannot adjust.too much of restrictions.Its not the way I m used to. Mummyji (my MIL) scolds me for small things'. And I being the idiot console her saying ' Oh..dont worry. I understand. I have got bigger doses and I have burst into tears in the bathroom after closing the door'. The moment these words left my mouth, I regretted having said them - coz like I mentioned earlier, I have not yet started trusting this new girl.
    Some weeks go by, and I can see her doing the 'adarsh bahu' stuff with my MIL. She accompanies her to the temple, she does everything according to what MIL says. When they come visit me for two days and we stay in our new house, I can see my MIL blasting the head off the girl.Co-sis is scared of my MIL, I can clearly see that. But still she is trying hard to impress my MIL, coz my BIL is a 250% mommy's boy.
    Then my BIL leaves abroad too. So co-sis, MIL and FIL are at PIL's place now. Two times when I called co-sis she said something, I say 'its ok.leave it' and she retorts ' Easy for you to say,but u have never stayed with them right?' And i think 'hey lady!I m trying to console you, but you wanna attack me instead?'.
    Finally we rent out my new house,meaning PILs can no longer come and stay in my hometown when they come to 'visit the kids'. During another co-sis phone call, she sarcastically comments 'You rented out the place tactfully na. So now that last window of them coming and staying with you is also closed out. very intelligent'. All this in a 'joking' manner. But I get the undercurrent.
    So I decide, enough of trying to understand her. Let her suffer alone,I m just gonna detach myself and stop trying to protect her or console her. So I minimise my calls. Stop whatsapping her. Keep it very very formal. two months have gone by
    Suddenly yesterday she whatsapps me and says ' Deedi i m going crazy here. i cant adjust.I am fed up.I started cooking and MIL has started commenting on it. You were right in saying that anyone who stays here for 2 montsh will go crazy'. I am startled, coz I DONT REMEMBER SAYING anything like that. I have never told her ' You will go crazy if you stay there'.
    I just replied to her 'hmm. I understand. dont feel sad and dont give up on cooking. You learn from mistakes, so dont feel bad'.
    Now my confusion is - should i trust her, ask what the problem is? I also want to stop telling anyone else that I told her that she would go crazy if she stays there.Bcos I m pretty sure I have not told it. How do I tell it to her without creating a ruckus? How should I tread with her? My 'nice' side wants to console her, bcos I can imagine what she is going through. Please ladies. Post away.

2. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Put your nice side away, Gauri! Self-preservation's the first law!! Your co-sis is just looking for a vent - but looks like she might not be above twisting your words to obtain brownie points with in-laws!

Step back...there's nothing you can do here, IMO...she'll learn to fight her own battles.

sindmani and kma like this.
  3. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Please ask her to move abroad with her husband since she is newly married and she is with in-laws instead of her husband. Very unfair.

I think it is better for her also to enjoy the independence. Can you advise her also to buy a house in her home town?

sindmani likes this.
  4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I second AniShekar. Stay out of it until you know her completely.

sindmani likes this.
  5. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

@aniShekar- Yeah, I had almost given up and decided on this. But she keeps messaging me now with a lot of issues .' I dont like to go to the temple. When I resisted,mummy ji started scolding me.I cant tell her that I hate to go to the temple!'
    I dont know what to reply.And I dont know if not replying is the right thing to do!

Simplemom- Yeah, my BIL is processing her Visa it will take till February after which she is planning to accompany him. my BIL is a perfect momma's boy. So I think he pressurises my co-sis to stay with his parents to try and get them to like each other.

sindmani likes this.
  6. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

You should tread carefully, keep negative comments to a minimum, you do not really know her and she sounds like when 'cornered' she will blame you.
    Tell her what she needs to keep her calm but say nothing about your negative experience. That way she has nothing to hold or say against you, even if just to make the inlaws like her

7. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Perhaps you could suggest she msg her husband? Of course, he might not help, since he's such a mamma's boy - but it at least clears you!

My SIL's DIL (yes - she's just a few years younger than me ;-) ) - she used txt across stuff abt SIL too - I'd just sent her a couple of 'sad' smileys...or reply back a good deal later, with "sorry - left my mobile in the car; just saw your msg - hope you're feeling better now":) It kind of worked for me!

sindmani and kma like this.
  8. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

If she messages you Ignore her. Don't respond. Also if she starts any thing about in laws just tell her you are getting a call and you will call her back. Do this 3/4 times she will get the hint.

Next time just respond to her message saying you never said anything like that (going crazy)

sindmani likes this.
  9. akanksha999

akanksha999 Silver IL'ite

Hi Gauri,

Its obvious that the sweet gushing bahu image is starting to fade. When faced with reality our real characters come out. She can no longer pretend to be ms wonderful. Her true self is slowly coming out. And if she has made a false statement such as "You were right in saying that anyone who stays here for 2 months will go crazy" you must immediately put your guard up and clear this matter asap.

If things come to a point and she says to your in laws, BIL etc that she has been messaging you and sharing her woes with you, people will definitely be hurt and you may be in an uncomfortable position. She is trying her best to provoke you and make you take sides. Be careful, act maturely and also a bit firmly. Listening to her complaints about your in laws is not going to help anyone. Ask her to speak to her own mother and get some good advice. I suggest you go busy for 2-3 months till this cools off a bit!

1 person likes this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear Op...this one is dangerous. Stay on guard. Tell her to message her husband as he will be the best one to help.Minimize one on one contact.

sindmani likes this.