1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Co-readers for "The world is Flat"

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Jey, May 27, 2007.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL'ites,

I have been thinking about this for quite sometime and after much vacillation decided to write this.

Here is the idea. A group of us who are interested in reading a particular book can start a thread and do the journey together. As each of us read through the book, we can share, discuss and debate along the way. Maybe there is nothing to share and a book is better read alone throughout. But who knows, some ilite will build on this idea and take it in a direction that I haven't thought about.The guy who wrote ms dos never would have imagined that it would evolve into vista!

Ready?

The book I want to read is "World is flat" by Thomas Friedman. I am hearing rave reviews about this book and it gives a good perspective of why India is roaring. I have read this authors earlier book and his style is extremely readable and interesting.

If you are interested please respond here. Parallely get hold of a copy of the book.let's see who fires off the first comment!

2. Seetha3

Seetha3 Senior IL'ite

Hi Jey:

I have a copy of the book. I am not sure whether I will be able to keep up the pace with the group as I have a little one. I am def interested.

Seetha

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Jey,

Great idea and i will definitely join the group, but it will have to wait until after i get back from summer hols. So which ever book you are reading then , i will join you from there.

Have fun in the meantime.

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A great idea, Jey. Best of luck. I have already read the book. Many times we are interested in the developments at the micro level that we cant see what happens at the macro level. We miss the woods for the trees. Friedman's book will give us that kind of vision.

I would love to take part in this discussion board. So let me know if anybody has any questions on the book.

regards,

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

This is a great idea Jey. It is like having our own book club. I may not be able to join this right now, but if this thread is alive and kicking, will be part of it at sometime later.
    My problems being that I may not keep up with the pace of reading, but that is only an assumption at this stage. The second prob is I need to finish what I am reading now as I have to return the book to my friend who is already very patient with me!:( Thirdly, I need to lay my hands on the book which will be in discussion. But where there is a will, there is a way.
    I truly hope that this thread will take off with a bang!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

I just joined this forum after reading this thread! It is a great idea. After seeing the responses, I wanted to add in a suggestion (please don't consider pompous of me to do that in my firts post). I think it will work well !

1. we post a list of books we would like to read in the immediate future on a particular day, for starters
    2.then after a couple of days, narrow it down to one book (either by poll or the first book posted by the first person, first book by second person etc)
    3.set up a start date, say 2-3 days after the selection and number of pages to be read.
    4.set up on an end date (depending on the size of the book). This will help even if it is borrowed from the library.
    4.set up a discussion date, including the intermittent discussion dates.

This way, people who are already reading other books can try and finish before the start date of the new book and and by setting up number of pages, we can continue reading other books too.

OFCOURSE, WE NEED A MODERATOR - BUT JUST A THOUGHT WANTED TO SHARE.

Then coming to the current book, while I have already read the book, I would like to be part of the discusion group.

Thanks for the initiative Jey.

7. Jey

Hi Seetha, Vandhana, Varalotti, Kamla and Srama, I am very glad to see the enthusiastic response.

I recognized that members will read at their own pace given their time availability and commitments. Some members would have already read that book (like varalotti and srama). That is why I wasn't sure how to structure this thread, but wanted to throw this idea out there hoping that we can learn and amend as we go.

Srama, its hugely motivating to know that someone joined IL looking at this thread. Your ideas looks awesome (not pompous by any stretch). You should feel good to have entered IL with a big-bang idea. It is a more disciplined approach. Why don't you go ahead and start a thread for that approach and get going? I will participate in that thread too. Parallely, I will move along with this thread and we can compare notes as we go.

Coming to "World is Flat"..

I boarded Lufthansa (Dallas-Frankfurt-Chennai) with this book on my hand. I always over-estimate how much I can read in a flight. In this instance, I underestimate the readability of this book. When I landed in Frankfurt, I have finished 40% and when I landed Chennai, I have completed almost 80%. That is where the book stands now. To be contd..

8. Jey

Hi all,

In the book, I liked the way Friedman has defined globalization in 3 phases - globalization 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, each refering to globalization of countries, companies and individuals respectively. We already see that in this new world, individuals have tons of opportunity to compete globally. While we all sense this trend, it was great to see Mr.Friedman put that in the form of a framework of 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0.

Do you see examples of individuals competing globally? If so, please share it here. One reason for asking you all to share your observations is to help our friends who are looking to work from home. When individuals are able to compete globally, as a by product, they will be able to work from home.

Here is my anecdoate (to be updated)....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007