1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes for washing

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sita_r, Jun 15, 2012.

1. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

Hi Home Experts :),

Where and how do you keep the clothes that are due for washing.
    Having two kids, there are lot of clothes that keep collecting for washing.
    I have a netted laundry basket kept next to the washing machine. However, since kids change clothes mostly in the bedroom, they clothes are sometimes on the floor in these rooms. I daily require picking up from the bedrooms and collecting into the basket.
    Since i put the washer at night only, the laundry basket itself looks full throughout the day and makes the area look dirty.
    Keeping laundry basket in the bedroom makes the room look bad.
    Ideas on managing this mess better would be helpful.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

small spaces and effective utilisation of the space is the need for lot of us .

Coming to laundry baskets what happened to me, is i had to install my wm in one corner space of my living room itself...that space could not be used for anything else.. so i installed the wm..but it was in the open, i mean anybody who enters the hall can see the wm..so this is what i did..got myself a custom made laundry basket, not too decorative, but something that will break that view of wm..

with the kids, being firm until they learn to drop the clothes in the laundry basket helps..not sure how old yours are..till 4 years back(he is 14 now), i had my son dropping them wherever he changed, and me picking after him.. i thought enough..so called him..we had a discussion and told him unless the soiled clothes came into the laundry basket, i will leave it to be piled wherever..i don't mind the dirty picture.. and i will not wash any too..you can enjoy ever bit of clothing that is in your wardrobe but remember that until you bring them to the basket i am not going to wash..

it has been working like a charm..

And i am sure others will have other wonderful ideas...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sita
    I use clothes hampers like the one shown in Shanvy's picture (Tall and with a lid) in every room. This way it is easy to wash each person's clothes, fold and put away, saving time sorting them. Laundry baskets are shallow and wide and storing clothes in them will get them to spill over - they are used only to collect washed and dried clothes, fold, and take them to different rooms.

Is there a reason why you wash only at night? I can understand that washing clothes at night will mean you can get only one batch going and it may take a few days before you get to each person's.
    Will it be possible to wash at least two batches per day - one batch for the adult's and one for the children's? It will help minimize the dirty pile.

I certainly agree with Shanvy on training your children to put clothes where they belong. I used the same rule with my kids too; even the toys - if it is not picked up it is thrown in the trash. A couple of times I did throw their favorite toys away to confirm it was no idle threat.
    I then taught my children to wash their own clothes when each started going to 7th-8th grade. I told them if they can press buttons in a video game, or on the mouse and keyboard, they can press buttons in the washer and drier.

Other than that I cannot think of any solution.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    4 people like this.
  4. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

I have 2 tall plastic tubs (similar to Shanvy's) with lids..One is for my DH , I have kept it in his room.. and the other one in the bathroom corner..My H is a big headache for me...poor tired guy, he feels lazy even to put inside the basket..I wash his pant and shirts at week end, and the casuals everyday along with our clothes.. yesterday only I told him (after my begging for so many days) , if he continues to throw the clothes, i will stop washing..now he has no other go , otherwise he will have to wash by himself..

5. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

Kamala-Thanks for your suggestions. I wash only at nights, because i go for work, and starting the WM in the morning would normally not happen in the middle of getting ready to go out.
    Night time is when i normally get time out to do the laundry. Sometimes i do two loads the same day too. I guess i have to train the kids slowly giving them time considering their age. Both are below 10 and its not easy for them to realize these things.
    Shanvy-the basket is nice, i realise that the one i have at home is probably too small which is why its usually full fast. Thankyou.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sita, i got it custommade..had to measure, visualise and draw it to the one who made..it fits in 2/3 days of cloths for a family of 4..

7. subbum12

subbum12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Your laundry basket looks cute.... Do you have the measurement with you? and in which shop u get it done?

Thanks In Advance
    Subbu

8. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Shanu, your laundry basket is very nice. Even the wet clothes will dry due to air free inside. Lovely idea, I like it.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

thanks subbu.. i got it done through a friend who know somebody. there is a shop on 100ft jawaharlal nehru road and one on medavakkam high road next to oil mill bus stop..both of them take customising order..though it has become costly now. it is around 3.5x3.5x1.25 /ft..

thanks vidhu...

1 person likes this.
  10. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Shanvy Madam,
    Can you pls post/pm the shop's contact number ? I am looking for one...btw, would you mind telling how much did it cost ?

Thanks..