1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Cloth Stabalizer To Hem Saree Edge

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by SuiDhaaga, May 7, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Now I will purchase rolled hem foot (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6TYCH...colid=5OM93HIBN2OS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) to stitch edge of saree (top part of this edge gets tucked in waist before you wrap around).

The saree fabric is chiffon and I heard that it is best to put a piece of cloth stabalizer inside the fold you will hem.

Is this true? Do I need a cloth stabalizer to hem the saree edge that won't be exposed.

Please help ..... I want to ensure I am purchasing only what is necessary!

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

so this is top part of saree that folds around our waist? correct? is it not really hem that hangs down.
    For that I think Picot or rolled hem stich would be good. Since it will go inside, you want it flexible/soft and not stiff with cloth stabilizer etc. That is usually used in bottom sides if want them to hang nicely, or for circular hems for same reasons.
    Rest - i am not expert myself. Google is your best bet if you do not have advanced sewists near you.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

This is good point. I ended up not buyng a stabalizer. Unfortunately, Google does not talk about stabalizer on saree. And I don't have tailor nearby (no aunties either :-( )

I tried picot stitch numerous times, but somehow I ain't getting it right.

I placed order for rolled-hem foot. Hope it comes in soon.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

picot stitch is same as rolled hem stitch hence uses same foot. I agree its hard to find information about indian dresses sewing on internet but these days content has increased a lot. So many local indian tailors are making videos on yourtube and attend to comments etc